Author
Topic: Break-in to report  (Read 8101 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 01:32:58 pm »

At the last Paris show I saw a chap who had a break-in and lost all his coins.  He was seriously depressed as he looked over the coins in the dealers' cabinets (and considered the time it would take to replace his loses).  Anyway... I got talking to a dealer and he was very serious about security.  Some of his recommendations include:
1) if you subscribe to CCN or some kind of auction publication, either have it sent to a P.O box, or sent in an envelope.  I thought this was a good idea.  

2) never tell anyone that you collect.  The way word gets around, and exagerration, letting people know you collect can be an invitation for trouble.

3) get a safety deposit box for the very dear & irreplacable notes/items in your collection

In other words: keep a super low profile about what you have, even use a PO box for ebay transactions.  Consider that there's many "cons" and thiefs who'd love to remove some of your holdings.    You can never be too safe!

doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 01:57:49 pm »

Good points on security, guys. When I read/hear about circumstances of some of these thefts it sure does smell fishy though.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 02:29:05 pm »

So far, several people described how a package or material should be sent to a collector. Most dealers send it with another name and address on the return label. I send my stuff with my name and PO box on the return label, and nothing to indicate the product is numismatic in nature.

Rent a PO box, under $100 a year.
Keep your mouth shut about your activities, don't tell people you collect anything.
Get an unlisted phone number.
A bank safety deposit box is cheap, for the good stuff!
Home alarms are good, easily defeated however.
Big dogs and the signs of a big dog are good too.
Watch the people at shows, most robberies take place following a show. They follow you, and then case out your place. I know of one dealer who was followed home, his wife and children held a gun point until he coughed up the material.
If no one knows you are a collector, and don't have a listed phone number, and use a PO box, the bad guys can't find you and don't know about you. For those that subscribe to CCN and other publications, such things get sent to a PO box. At this stage in mailings, it matters not one bit what the guy writes on the package, no one sees it anyway, except you.

Use caution, remember, a person with easily disposable goods, like money, is a target.  Nothing easier to sell than money, paper, coins, gold, silver bullion. Think like a crook, and react accordingly.

Rick
hanmer
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 09:31:46 pm »

My two cents on break ins. I got hit about 5 years ago for about $20 K. Stereos, laptops, jewelery, cds, dvds on and on. They say my wife put two kids in the car and witin 5 minutes of her leaving they were in and out. I go for the alarm, strange schedule routine. I have a steel gun box. They can't carry it out to open later. If they get in there, paper money is the least of my worries. As far as shipping goes. I get notes shipped to the university I work at. A first class shipping receiving department, and they get so much mail that they aren't even going to notice the few small packages get a couple times a month.

[smiley=beer.gif]

:)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 12:16:39 am »

I personally know a dealer who was cased out and then robbed (cleaned out) one night.  And that was a store.  He has also had a gun drawn on him.    Not the safest, but he lives today, so the most important thing was saved. (Him)
H

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length