Author
Topic: SCAM!!  (Read 4981 times)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: December 05, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »

How do these scam artists get your registered ebay e mail address? Is it not an ebay security issue?

Buy The Item You Recently Bid On: $50 1935 Original Gem Uncirculated (260056820350)   Inbox
 Reply to all
 Forward
 Print
 Add eBay to Contacts list
 Delete this message
 Report phishing
 Show original
 Message text garbled?
 eBay Express <ebayexpress@warehouse---support.com>  to me
 show details  4:45 pm (1 minute ago)  

Images are not displayed.

Display images below - Always display images from ebayexpress@warehouse---support.com  

eBay sent this message to uncmeansunc.
Your registered user id is included to show this message originated from eBay.  

eBay Express Services - Buy The Item You Recently Bid On  
 Use the Buy It Now button below to buy this item. For further information regarding this item please use the Contact button below.  

Buy It Now  
Item: $50 1935 Original Gem Uncirculated (260056820350)

This message was sent after the listing closed.
ma*s_attic is the seller.

Good news! The following eBay item on which you placed a bid for US $11,400.00 on is now available for purchase:  

$50 1935 Original Gem Uncirculated (260056820350)

Your Price:   US $11,400.00  
Offer ends in:   3 business days  

Transaction Details

The highest bidder was either unable to complete this transaction or the seller has a duplicate item.

The item is located at eBay Express and it was inspected by our staff. eBay acts as a third party in this transaction and assumes all responsibility for the shipping and handling of this item. eBay Express services are free of charges for the buyer. eBay Express is a service used exclusively by US residents that are unable to complete their transactions within the US borders and are located overseas. (US embassies, US military, APO addresses)

One of our consultants has been asigned to assist you regarding this purchase. The selling of this item through eBay Express Services is in compliance with our policy and you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller. You will also be eligible for all eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection.

Act Now - This Offer Expires Soon
To take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly. This offer ends in 3 business days.

You may purchase this item by clicking the Buy It Now button in this email or click here.

To ask eBay a question before completing this purchase, please use the Contact button on this page or click here.

Remember: Since eBay acts as a third party in this transaction our policy does not permit direct contact with the seller. Do not click the "Ask Seller A Question" link on the item page.

Don't let this item get away!  

buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 07:48:09 pm »

I have gotten stuff like that many times.

Usuaully only happens on high value notes
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:48:50 pm »

The exact same thing happened to me recently.  I received an e-mail at my registered eBay e-mail address, which isn't known to anyone in the eBay community until I buy or sell something.

I knew the e-mail had to be fake right away, because I was not even the under-bidder, I was like 9th or 10th down the list!  What sealed it is the message wasn't in My Messages on eBay when I logged in.

I reported my incident to eBay as spoof e-mail and asked how this con artist could have matched up my eBay user ID with my eBay e-mail address, but I never got a reply.  I was left to draw my own conclusion, which was either it was someone I had bought from or sold to in the past who was monitoring my buying activity, or someone hacked into eBay's server or another eBay member's computer and got info about their customers.

twoinvallarta, were you the runner-up for this item, or further down the list?  Either way I'll bet that some other losing bidders on this item got spoof e-mails too...

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 07:56:58 pm »

that's the thing of it venga50,
I just changed my user id from romij0 to uncmeansunc.No one has the new ebay registered address'cept ebay,at least till now.

I was the under-bidder,at $18,900usd,the $11k and change bid was the very first bid on that notes as my maximum.

Leads me to believe this is an issue with ebay security,and very very troublesome.

One last point-I have received these bogus offers before,but that was a different ebay registered email address.This one is still absolutely private.I have not bought or sold from this address yet.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:58:00 pm by twoinvallarta »

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 08:15:38 pm »

I'm almost certain my eBay account was hacked into once, because feedback was left for an item I bought that I did not post.  It was negative feedback complaining about the poor service "as usual", but it was the first time I dealt with the seller.  Some auctions that I was watching were deleted from my watch list, too.  I reported that incident to eBay also, and they said they could find no evidence that my account had been broken into.  They also wouldn't let me withdraw the negative feedback purporting to be from me, so the poor seller left me +ve feedback only to get -ve feedback in return - making ME look like a ****head to anyone reading the feedback ratings  >:(

After that incident I cancelled my PayPal account to minimize the risk to myself.  I would have cancelled the credit card associated with my eBay account, but you need a credit card registered in order to sell!  A e-commerce site like eBay would (I should hope!) be virtually airtight against hackers, but I'm not as confident as I would like to be.

Then again it could also be a current or former eBay employee that is sending these fraudulent "second chance" offers?...

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 02:20:14 pm »

I've had many of these ebay scam/spoofs too.  Typically I copy all the info (as you've done) as well as the address (which is very close to ebay's) and send it all to their security.  Many times they've sent me responses thanking me for the info I've provided...since its the only way they can police the scams.  

I also changed my ebay identity and it did not deter the mischief makers.  You must understand that there's full time hackers/thiefs and culprits (just look at the Nigerian scammers) who dedicate a lot of hours to this kind of stuff.  When you're dealing with this kind of $ figure you're a prime target.  Its good to know you're being very vigilant.

I've also had the spoofers send "emergency" warnings that my account is about to be "deactivated" due to "suspicious activity" or "tampering" with my account to lure me into providing them with my password.  BE Extremely CAREFUL as these warnings came right after I experienced the second offer or other spoofs.  The emails look as if they're sent from ebay security!  The culprits are very clever...so  I would also be careful how much info you divulge on this forum too.  

I do far less transactions this way now.  Typically I've contacted the sellers and deal direct (which is what they prefer anyway).  They may still wish to put up the very rare stuff for a public go...but if you're willing to make an arrangement to pay a matching price (or even one with a small discount-- considering there's no 3rd party fee involved) they often will go for that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:18:03 pm by walktothewater »

hanmer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:27:37 pm »

As noted by another member, there are people who make a living and invest many hours creating E Bay scams. Furtherrmore a hacked computer can give the right perrson a lot of information as far as peoples transactions and such. A good idea (especially if you're bidding $18K on notes) is to frequently change your password and memorize it. Never store passwords on a computer in a file called passwords. Don't laugh, I've seen it all. I also suggest people use "hard" paswords at least 8 characters in length. Include all of the following in any password:

capital letter
lowercase letter
number
special character (the ones on the numbers on the top row of a standard keyboard)

i.e. 0ntar!o5 or 5ud@ury

Usually better to use a word that you can easily remember.

[smiley=beer.gif]

:)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:00:56 pm »

Coming this Friday, December 8th, 10 pm local time, 20/20 (ABC News), is going to show a documentary about e-mail scams.  They are going undercover to see how these schemes work, and how ordinary people get caught up in the scam.  This will definately be interesting.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length