Author
Topic: What do other fellow members collect besides money  (Read 9789 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:21:59 am »

Hello fellow collectors of papermoney...

Besides collecting papermoney, what do other members of this forum collect (for example, hockey cards, Coca Cola products, stamps, glass, antiques)?  I am just wondering if our noodles (brain) have a common theme or perhaps we all have a gene that makes us think alike or unlike...  

As for me, besides papermoney, I collect coins (primarily Canadian) and Starbucks Cards. Yes, Starbucks Cards (the piece of plastic card that you see at Starbucks locations).  They are collectable and some pieces are worth more than some high end Canadian banknotes!  You can see some of the lofty prices on eBay!  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:22:51 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
canadianpaper
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 02:44:25 pm »

Coinplus,
Interesting question. One I often ask myself when I stray away from looking at banknotes on Ebay and into "other" potential collectables...lol.
I used to collect and then buy and sell comic books as a teenager. Aside from Banknotes, I collect Canadian decimals coins. Focussed solely on minstate / business strike coins - no giftware for me per se. In general with whatever I "collect" I try to maintain a theme to my collecting habits instead of just accumulating things and certainly, collecting things I enjoy.
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 06:04:52 pm »

I don't actively collect hockey cards but I used to. When I was a kid 1965-75 and again in the mid-80's to early 90's. But not since then. I have lots of cards from the 60-70's

I also collect Music CD's. I largely replaced my vinyl collection on CD and still buy new stuff once in a while. I have about 1,700 discs. Bought the lions share of them from used stores. Some stuff you don't see at the used shops often.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:31:50 pm »

When I was very young (6 or 7) I had a large collection of bottle caps.  I found them on the street, took them home, and put them in a box.  I always tried to look for "UNC" ones (no dents, scratches, etc).  But most had a dent or two or were flattened by a passing car.  My parents were always horrified with my "garbage collection".

I also used to collect stamps (up to about age 12) and circulation coins and hockey cards (up to about 15.)  Then I lost interest.

The only other thing I collect is water from my travels.  Whenever I go anywhere I take a little 20ml vial and fill it with local water.  I have nice little set of them.  Some ocean water from Peggy's Cove, NS.  Some lake water from Balaton in Hungary.  Tap water from a church in Romania.  A little bit from Lake Of The Woods, ON, when I went there by bicycle from Vancouver in 1998.

These things are pretty much free to collect and IMO they make better and more authentic souvenirs than the cheap junk sold in tourist shops all over the world, junk that all seems to be made in China anyway.   ::)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 08:32:46 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:40:46 pm »

I started collecting bottle caps from the day I learned how to count. Diggin up bottle caps from beer parties at teh lake, and bringing them all home, I know I had alot of them :) Easy, they were everywhere, and they were free, and they came in more than 2 as my dad would say.
Hmm what else, licence plates, coins and stamps of course (started when I was 5 or 6.)  First notes I got were from my dad when I was about 10. Still have em. 1967 $1, and some Uruguay 1939 note, oops, maybe that one exited on ebay a while back. not sure.:)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
hanmer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 11:10:57 am »

I collected coins when I was really young, inpsired because my father and grandmother collected them . Moved onto comics, and then hockey cards. The comics are gone, and working on moving the hockey cards to a local dealer. My wife will be happy, as they take a lot of room. I've collected something as long as I can remember, but stoped for a spell while I lived overseas for 4 years in the late 90's. That's actually when I started collecting notes. I remember searching notes for UNC examples. At the time, the reasoning was to put them in a scrap book, with pictures, and other things from my travels. When I returned from Asia, I was acompanied by a new very pregnent wife (from Saskatoon of all places, go figure), so disposable income was not available to collect anyting. We then preceeded to collect children, in sort order I had three beautiful daughters. Note collecting happened out of the blue one day, when I found (actually my wife found them in a book one day) all the multi color 1's, 2's and 5's I saved when the Bird series was introduced. I do still collect a few coins today. My grandmother left me a bunch of American notes, that I've put away to look into later. She also gave me an EX 1955 Lincoln double die (real one, not the poor mans) for a graduation gift. Remains my most valuable piece. My grandparents were hard core coin and paper money collectors. Most were moved a long time ago, but my father informed me that she had lots of 1935/1937/and DF notes. Canadian notes were a sideline as my grandfather was from Ohio, they collected American currency. I remember seeing many of them when I was young while visiting them in Ohio. Didn't have a clue what they were, but I'm sure I'd be very happy to have them today though (likely couldn't aford them tough).

I guess currency collecting runs in the family. I intend to get my oldest daughter a Grand Master penny book in the near future.

[smiley=beer.gif]

:)
arjay
  • Time flies like an arrow.Fruit flies like a banana
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 06:03:53 pm »

The older I get, and the more time I spend at the computer, the more I collect dust. Seriously. Really.
Mikeysonfire
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:27:21 pm »

I have collected so many stuff of the years.
- Beer bottle caps
- Hockey cards
- World Coins
- Rocks
- Sand
- World Flags
- Stamps
- Pogs
- Marbles
- Pokemon Cards

There may be more things... Right now am only collecting Canadian Paper money.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 11:16:37 pm »

I also theme collect some foriegn notes, especially with birds. A favorite example is Central Bank of the Bahamas One Dollar commeorative of Christopher Columbus's 1492 - 1992, printed by CBNC or 1985 Suriname 2.5 Guilden.

Also, the occaisional Canadian stamp(s) that nicely match with some of the 1937 and 1935 notes I have with a Royals theme in mind.

Other than that, the usual kid's stuff like, Hockey cards, seashells, rocks/minerals, popcans, etc. Forgettable stuff. So now it's Banknotes and bills (for electricity, heating, gas, groceries, Visa, mortgage...too many of this kind of bills)

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 02:22:07 pm »

Too many things over the years really...
A person can have fun with diversification, but can you ever collect anything to your full potential that way?
Seems to me if you focus all your time/effort/money to one specific main love you can accomplish more.
Anyway, over the years i've collected and still collect:

Canadian coins,
American coins,
Canadian paper,
vintage swiss wristwatches
railroadiana (dining car china, switch keys, lanterns, etc)
telegraph insulators
vintage marbles
vintage slot cars
vintage wrestling programs
shells and rocks
lethbridge pilsner bottles
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 05:18:11 pm »

Licence plates and dog tags.  

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 07:31:07 pm »

I think Tom also collects Barbie Dolls.  ;)
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 09:22:42 pm »

I think Tom also collects Barbie Dolls.  ;)
I'm a 35-year-old, 250-something pound male and must confess that last year, I bought my first, last and only Barbie doll.  It was a Catwoman/Halle Berry Barbie doll, I'm crazy about Halle Berry and the dolls were in a big bin reduced from $25 to $4.99, so I bought one on a whim.  And my father knows.  He was with me.  He knows he's got a big husky son who, of his own free will, picked up a Barbie doll, walked over to the cash register and paid for it himself, and didn't even try to pretend it was for a little sister or niece or something.  :-/   :-?Guess I don't embarrass easily - I'd probably even buy my significant other a box of tampons or tube of Preparation H without flinching if asked to do so.

I didn't see the Catwoman movie, but if the dolls were such a flop to be reduced 80% so quickly my guess is the movie must have tanked also.  Anyway, other than my paper money and Barbie doll, in the past I have collected:
-rocks and minerals
-soapstone carvings done by Canadian Native Indians (e.g. A.E. Wolf)
-bugs (mostly grasshoppers, locusts, caterpillars and those bugs that roll up into a ball when you poke or touch them - I thought those were so cool!)
-special edition Coca-Cola cans (e.g. the 1992 and 1993 World Series cans and cans of the discontinued "Coke II"), but the cans ended up bursting and leaking so I tossed the whole lot.
-baseball cards
-comic books
-Canadian coins (until I got turned off by the RCM issuing "commemoratives" for such ridiculous things as Christmas falling on a Tuesday  ;))
-Canadian stamps (until I found that these hardly ever appreciate in value - I still have dealers sending banknotes to me in the mail using 1960s-era stamps!)
-I've got one issue of Playboy that was autographed to me by the centrefold.  I hadda throw that in to counter-balance the Barbie doll thing, but seriously, I do have an autographed Playboy.  Signed by Miss June 2003, Tailor James.  She came to First Canadian Place to sign her centrefold.  I felt kind of awkward asking a total stranger that I had already seen buck-naked to autograph her spread, butt, I did.

BTW numismateer, I know an eBay seller who sells paper money and railroad memorabilia (but leans more heavily toward the railroad stuff).  PM me if you want his eBay ID.

dollarman
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:37 pm »

HI THERE, AS RETIRED MILTARY LAD, I FOUND TIME ON MY HANDS, THEN ONE DAY GOT OUT MY SONS OLD (TO ME) HOCKEY, BASEBALL & BASKETBALL CARDS(1980-1993), THAT STARTED MY UNCONTROLABLE URGE TO COLLECTING CETAIN THINGS-CANADIAN TIRE MONEY, COLLECTING CANADIAN PAPER MONEY & COINS, NEXT CAME COMIC BOOKS, OLD BOOKS,LPS, 45s,& 78s, THEN CAME BUSINESS CARDS(3000), GIFT CARDS(500), HOTWHEELS & MATCH BOX DIE CAST CARS,COLLECT LOCAL GASBAR COUPONS (CO-OP), HAVE SPENT THE LAST FEW MONTHS PUTTING TOGETER ALL THE SPORTS CARDS(5000-6000), lots of time on my hands, its winter time, I THINK I SAID ENOUGH, GRINS, C U LATER.
johnny99
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 09:15:21 pm »

In addition to Canadian and Chartered Banknotes, I also collect Canadian coins.
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 10:56:01 pm »

Bobblehead dolls.

I used to collect old bus/metro passes (I have about 100 from 1992 to 2000). Also once was a time I used to colled marbles.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 12:07:51 am »

Shrunken heads, human teeth, and ammunition..

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 03:25:02 am »

I think there is a genetic indicator that must point towards someone's propensity to become a collector.
Surely, this does not mean you are genetically a COLLECTOR, but you may have a higher inclination (by choice or not) to become one.

Hmm:
My list:

Bottle caps
Toy cars
License Plates
Coins
Stamps
Comic Books
Archie paperbacks (just the old style ones)
Matchbook covers (inherited these - as old as 1937)
NHL Hockey Jerseys (you would flip if you saw my collection - dating back to an original Atlanta Flames Jersey, and even an ealry 1970s Minnesota NStars and Boston Bruins jersey.
Hockey Pucks
Hockey Cards
Vintage/antique pop bottles
Professional and celebrity Autographs (never for sale)
Designer furniture (Herman Miller Retro style)
Vintage Mathematics (Calculus) books
Pretty much anything free that came in twos as a child.

Oh I could go on... I don't have all of these anymore of course, but some I do, but not at home, some are back in the old province of SK.

I have pretty much culled it down to paper money, of course with a focus on brick research, high denom ($20s, $50s, and $100s)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 04:33:02 am »

Shrunken heads, human teeth, and ammunition..

Was that a joke? lol

I do have a small collection of real, vintage bullets from Hong Kong, and I got some golden machine gun mini-rockets too.  :)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 07:22:21 am »

Was that a joke? lol
No....

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 08:36:26 pm »

My collections, too many and not enough room in the house to store all of them!  I wish I could afford to build myself a big dust free museum type building to store all my collectibles in.  Maybe if I win the lotto I can do that then!!  Keep Dreaming......

What I Collect:

1) Farm Toys of all makes and scales, prefer John Deere
2) Anything John Deere, from decals, to books, signs, emblems, advertising, you name it!
3) Hockey cards in the early 80s and early 90s but not since then, yet....
4) Canadian Coins and some small amounts of others,
5) World Notes
6) Lots of old antiques, almost anything that I find that I think is a deal I buy it???
7) And of course the biggest and most addicting is my Canadian Paper Money Collection, I love Rotators, and Million numbered notes and as well solid Radars. I'm always looking for those lovely Rotator notes!! Hint Hint anyone......

I will usually purchase anything that I think is different and that makes me take a second look and of course if the price is right....

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 03:33:34 am »

No....

May I ask how you've built your collection of human teeth and ammunition and (dare I say), shrunken (human?) heads?  ???
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 08:03:35 am »

May I ask how you've built your collection of human teeth and ammunition and (dare I say), shrunken (human?) heads? 

I think these collectables go hand in hand....for a starters ask Only4Teeth...
and there are better forums to discuss non numismatic items....This is suppose to be about banknotes 8)

KelownaGuy
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 12:51:44 pm »

Empty beer bottles, or at least thats what my wife says. ;D

Rod

Login with username, password and session length