Author
Topic: B of C The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes  (Read 11610 times)
suretteda
« on: December 23, 2006, 01:29:08 am »

[size=14]The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes[/size]

[size=12]Bank notes are the most tangible connection between the central bank and the public it serves. A bank note is a medium of exchange, a cultural artifact, a national symbol, and a communications vehicle. It must be readily accepted and secure against counterfeiting. Thus, the design and production of a bank note is a formidable challenge.

The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes is the second in a series of books about the Bank of Canada. It is a journey behind the scenes to explore the demanding world of bank note design, highlighting the beauty of Canada's bank notes and celebrating the engraver's art. Purchase your copy at the Currency Museum, or by contacting Publications Distribution.

You can download the above pages from this publication in PDF format (734 kb).

Now available for purchase

The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes makes a unique keepsake or gift.

Soft cover, 124 pages.
Cost: $25 tax included (+$5 shipping outside of headquarters in Canada/+$10 US/INTL destinations.)

Purchase your copy at the Currency Museum, or by contacting:

Publications Distribution
Communications Department
Bank of Canada
West Tower, 9th Floor
234 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G9
613 782-8248
publications@bankofcanada.ca

All mail orders must be prepaid. Remittance in Canadian dollars should be made payable to the Bank of Canada.[/size]

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/history_book/art/index_art.html
moneycow
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 11:54:51 pm »

Does anyone have a copy of this yet?

Craig
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:41:03 am »

Has anyone looked at the eight pages available for download as a .pdf?

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/history_book/art/promo_art.pdf

What's REALLY intriguing is on page 3.  It's what appears to be a specimen note of the 1937 $1, but with the portrait of King Edward VIII, who abdicated shortly after the photo was approved.  Does this note really exist?

Check also the 7th page, where it shows some early designs of the 2001 $10 that were later changed.  Very interesting!

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 02:25:26 pm »

I thought that was George VI, but it was approved by King Edward -- but didn't King Edward die in 1910 or something?  It went :
Victoria
Edward
George V
George VI
Elizabeth II
King Harry I
King James
Queen Catherine

Okay those last three are my calls for the next 150 years.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 02:52:45 pm »

Victoria (1837-1901)
Edward VII (1901-1910)
George V (1910-1936)
Edward VIII (1936, abdicated)
George VI (1936-1952)
Elizabeth II (1952-Present)

History of the British Monarchy

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
moneycow
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:23:38 pm »

I received my copy of the Art and History of Canadian Banknotes the other day.  It is fantastic!  It contains images of every BoC banknote with a brief story for each.  Also shows many proposed versions that didn't make it to print, including some that had vertical vignettes on the back.  Well worth the $25.

Craig
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:55:58 am »

Moneycow,

Where can I get a copy of this book ? Chapters ?
Is it fairly recent or out of date ?
Sounds like a very interesting read.

TIA.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 08:05:15 am »

I was just looking at the B of C website and there is another book for sale as well it's called "The Bank of Canada: An Illustrated History"

It can be previewed here at this link

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/history_book/index.html

Gary_T
moneycow
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 03:21:14 pm »

I ordered mine over the phone from the contact info provided on the BoC publications website.  Three weeks ago, when I called, they weren't in stock yet...must be a new publication.  
I believe there is a series of 4 books.  Gary T provided a link for one of the other publication.  This one deals mainly with the banknotes.  I would recommend it.

Craig
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 12:49:40 am »

check out page 8 of the pdf how about that 1935 french set of 0000001 notes the *B/V unc 1954 replacement
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 02:14:51 pm »

I just received my book yesterday.  Pretty high quality graphics printing.  Overall, the BoC Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes is excellent and I would highly recommend this book to others.   Also, I received the - The BofC, Illustrated History, and this was also fascinating with tons of photos of money, the history of the bank governors, and it's home in Ottawa.   

Smile from your heart.  ;D
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 04:04:30 pm »

I also have both books in the BofC series.  They are a must read for Canadian paper money collectors!  It was very interesting to learn the stories of the people who sign our money.  There were also some really cool prototypes of notes that never made it into circulation in the 'Art and Design' book.

Brad
m_samourai
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 03:01:53 pm »

Just looked at the pdf.  JAGSHEMASH! ;D

I'll be getting this book for sure.  Thanks for the info.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:03 pm »

[size=14]The Art and Design of Canadian Bank Notes[/size]

I am new to bank note collecting and joined this forum hoping to get insights into the detailed aspects of the design of banknotes.

Honestly I ran into this book almost by accident and thought that it should be the first book anyone who aspires to understand the design of Canadian banknotes should read.

So I searched on this forum to see where information or discussion about this book might be and I found it from a post when the book first came out.

If it is not already done I would strongly suggest creating a must read section for newbies where this and other similar books should be listed. This would be most helpful for newbies like me.

When I had posted a query about finding details about banknote designs in this forum I was pointed to the GPM. The GPM I found is a great book for pricing and registers but  the details regarding bank note design contained in the "art and design" are unmatched. So much factual information provided there on matters of design. Beautiful photographs with so much detail.

After reading that book which contains information up to the journey series I think that the Bank of Canada may have a soft spot for collectors who aspire for more than numbers.  :D

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
tmort
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 08:58:01 pm »

Newbie here too. We toured the Currency Museum last summer and I noticed these books. Wish I would have picked a couple up now. Thanks for bringing these to our attention again.

CPMS member
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »

You can buy the books from the Bank of Canada's web site:

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/publications-research/books-and-monographs/bank-canada-souvenir-books/

I have the set and I agree, they are a great resource.

Fenian95

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496

Login with username, password and session length