Author
Topic: Basic storage question from a newbie  (Read 5402 times)
relayer
« on: December 31, 2006, 03:03:22 pm »

Hi all,

Besides those that store notes in a safe deposit box - for those that keep any or all at home, how do you store your notes. I used the mylar sleeves, of course, but what I'm curious about is the binder style 'albums' and how they work or regarded. I use these for coins (Gardmaster), and am quite happy with them, but I'd already seen them before and was familiar with them. I've never seen the currenct albums in person, and I haven't seen any *good* online pics or illustrations. I know they generally come in 2 or 3 pocket sleeve styles - I wouldn't want the notes to be crowded into a page, obviously, and naturally it's a must that there's room to sleeve the notes *in their mylar holders*.

Right now I'm just storing them stacked side by side vertically in a drawer (it's not a daily user, so they're not in with my socks and the like  ;D  ). As the collection grows larger, this won't be very practical, and for some reason I do like the idea of organizing them in albums.

Thanks in advance!
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 03:27:10 pm »

Hey

What I have is these binder pages that have a spot for 3 notes on each side so one page 3 notes on each side you can store 6 notes per. page and they also stay in there mylar sleeves the background is black and it really bring out the brigtness of the older notes and the newer ones they look great!. They are chaep I would just got to you local dealer and see what they can offer you.

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 03:43:05 pm »

My approach is to put all notes in individual Mylar sleeves. Then, I have several cardboard boxes that are about 1cm wider (on the inside) than a Mylar sleeve is long, and they store about 100 sleeves or so. I set the boxes in my safety deposit box such that the notes inside are standing vertically, not stacked atop each other. I've got a very large box at the bank, so I can fit about 8 of these boxes inside without difficulty. These small boxes are also great for transporting notes. They are discrete, a reasonable size, and great for organizing your collection into different groups.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 03:49:21 pm »

You may also want to check out some posts from April 1st 2006, subject "Binder page note holder"

Scott
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 05:44:15 pm »

I think BRent is still looking to fill an order I believe
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 06:06:11 pm »

ORDER HERE: http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1162168666
(you missed the link... go up one line and click it)

Depending on the quantity of orders received and the availability of sleeves from the supplier, I may be able to pick up some while down in Florida this week. No guarantees though, as I do not have enough requests to fill a 1000-sleeve order yet.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 10:31:54 pm »

My approach is to put all notes in individual Mylar sleeves. Then, I have several cardboard boxes that are about 1cm wider (on the inside) than a Mylar sleeve is long, and they store about 100 sleeves or so. I set the boxes in my safety deposit box such that the notes inside are standing vertically, not stacked atop each other. I've got a very large box at the bank, so I can fit about 8 of these boxes inside without difficulty. These small boxes are also great for transporting notes. They are discrete, a reasonable size, and great for organizing your collection into different groups.
I've heard it said before that banknotes should be stored vertically rather than horizontally on top of each other.  Is there a particular reason why it is preferable to store notes upright vertically rather than lying down horizontally?  :-/

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 10:38:01 pm »

The effect of pressing, if ever so small, is minimized.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 12:12:56 pm »

I'm not sure what box Brent uses, but I use VHS storage boxes from Wal-Mart.

They leave about a cm or so of space on the sides, come with a pretty solid construction, and also come with many different colors, pictures, and a convenient lid like a shoebox.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:14:16 pm by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 12:48:55 pm »

I don't know what to call these boxes... sudzee would know better. They're real nice, white on the outside, brown inside, so they're aesthetically pleasing too... They fit the Mylar sleeves real nice. Send a PM to sudzee asking about these boxes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 07:20:48 pm »

The boxes we use are actually 250count card boxes and may be available anywhere cards are sold. Purchased individually they would probably be about 2.00 including tax. Not a bad price considering they work so well with mylar holders. They are not quite wide enough to be used for the cheap PVC holders.

Gary

Login with username, password and session length