Author
Topic: grade descriptions - Charlton  (Read 13427 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 01:03:40 pm »

I believe that the recommended storage method is in Mylar holders stacked vertically (like library filing cards) so that the notes can "breathe" through the gaps at the tops of the holders.

And talking about "breathing", I've noticed that PMG holders don't have any gaps for air circulation whereas CCGS holders have two small discreet holes at each side.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:07:47 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 01:48:43 pm »

I keep all my major collections and expensive notes in "NoteGard Holders" and put it in a box and keep in SDB.
The rest in mylar holders (vertically) and sleeves (SGP5 bought from Collector Supply House) depends on value and my personal classification.

Yuman
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2007, 06:19:46 pm »

Water is perhaps the worst enemy of paper money, and paper collectibles in general, so notes should never be washed or chemically treated, except perhaps in the most extenuating "museum restoration" circumstances. Water will destroy that wonderful natural sheen to the paper that experienced paper money collectors adore so much.

The only notes that I've washed & pressed in the last few years were some better asterisk notes that I carelessly spilled red wine (actually port) on. I reacted spontaneously and immersed them in a sink full of warm water but it was too late and some light red/brown stains remained. However, the notes still sold on eBay for what I considered to be reasonable prices, albeit at a loss to me! It's possible that some of the buyers decided to bleach them ....

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2007, 10:36:31 pm »

Next time wine, or port, or whatever is spilled on notes, or a table cloth, or whatever, use COLD water. It won't set the stain. Same with blood. If the stain sets, use ginger ale (really).
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 04:15:18 pm »

Thanks. Being a chemical engineer I should have realized that a low-temperature environment would reduce the staining. However, I was in a state of panic at the time ......

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 05:13:29 pm »

I know that we've had this discussion before:
but a note that's been pressed doesn't necessarily mean its been washed and pressed
Or as you've stated:
There are several different types of pressing:

(1) Merely putting the note in a book and loading 10 or so heavy books on top for a few days. I don't see any problem here as long as the note hasn't been previously washed.

(2) Ironing the note with a hot iron (without washing) between two sheets of white paper. This is very destructive as the paper tends to curl/ripple due to expansion/contraction effects and the ink tends to melt and lift off, often leaving a shiny appearance. Worse still is ironing the note by direct contact with the hot metal surface! A HIGHLY UNDESIRABLE PRACTICE!

The problem with pressing (even with method #1) is that we can see the embossing diminish or disappear...

any kind of dampness is not good for notes so using dry aid, or some kind of dessicator in your safe, or storage area is prudent. 

I don't think its mandatory that you store your notes vertically ... this is a luxury if you've got the space.

Login with username, password and session length