Author
Topic: World Currency collecting  (Read 6568 times)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:03:56 pm »

Hey Guys

I have been collecting Canadian currency for a while now and take a browse on ebay for some world currency from time to time but rarely buy anything. Just wanted to know other than Can or US currency what seams to be popular for collecting?
The reason I ask is that I want to buy nice looking notes but also want them to be desirable by other collectors.

I have seen many Mexican notes or Guatemal notes which I like but know very little about them.

KC's Canadian Currency
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:27:32 am »

Foreign replacement notes are really hot these days.  The problem is figuring out what are replacements and what are not.  In Canada, for example we have had asterisks, X as the third letter in the prefix and now random inserts to designate replacements.  Other countries have variations as well depending upon the issue.  Replacements may variously be designated by asterisks, stars, crosses, Z, ZZ, ZZZ, X, XX, Z/1, Z/2 etc, 9/99 and dozens more.  Very little catalogue information is available on replacements.

Topical collecting is another interesting way to collect foreign notes.  If you choose animals or flowers you will end up with a huge collection.  In the last couple of issues of the IBNS newsletter there have been articles on topical collecting.  One fellow collects only notes with dictators on them.  Another collects notes with Nobel Peace Prize winners.  (Sadly, there has never been a Canadian banknote with a nobel peace prize winner.....  I therefore vote that we get a new $200 bill with Lester Pearson on it so that the Nobel collection will have a canadian note!!!)

Finally regional collecting is also popular.  Try Faeroe Islands and Iceland, and you will have a smaller collection of beautiful notes.

m_samourai
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 02:05:39 am »

I've no idea what other collectors like/collect.  I'm just getting my feet wet with a few euros (5,10,20).  I just got a current 20 suisse francs in vf from a friend, and love it's design.   It's very futuristic, and the designs are vertical, rather than horizontal :o  Here's a so-so link to the current suisse notes (they look much cooler in person 8)).

http://www.snb.ch/en/iabout/cash/current/design/id/cash_current_design_10

m
Benficarlos
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:16:53 am »

The Suisse notes r very nice... i have 3 in vertical possition, 10, 20 and 50 that i friend bring for me when we was working there and i was living in Portugal....
I have a lot of Portuguese banknotes and many people say they r the beautiful one that they have seen.
U can see my collection at www.geocities.com/benficarlos (i donĀ“t upgrad my page since i come to canada so all my canadian banknotes r not there yet).
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:57 pm »

Welcome to the forum Benficarlos,

If there's a whole new world of collecting in the Canadian banknotes, then there is definitly a whole new universe in world banknote collecting. There are so many diverse collecting themes from collectors I've met in the past when I used to go to meetings which was roughly about the same time I used to own a car. Perhaps forum members who collect world notes on the side could post links of thier 'fun' collections on this thread just to see how many, and what theme they do. While I collect Canada Banknote far too seriously, I theme collect world notes on the side just for the simple joy of it. I believe I have posted this link somewhere else before but I've since added more. For now I'm currently awaiting some current Brazilian notes to arrive from a friend living there.

http://picasaweb.google.com/twoparroteyes/BirdsNoteCollection

Dei Gratia
PD and me parrot Toto.

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length