Author
Topic: Notes in SDBs  (Read 6916 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:04:04 pm »

I was told today that it is the banks policy that no cash can be kept in a safety deposit box.  Has anyone heard of this before.

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:28:01 pm »

I was told today that it is the banks policy that no cash can be kept in a safety deposit box.  Has anyone heard of this before.

FRIEDSQUID
Yes this is a standard policy in most Banks. Basically the bank would rather you store a 1935 French Text $500 note in their account rather then the SD box.

Then again, what the bank does not know will not hurt them. Just make sure a straight face is kept when signing your life away on the dotted line reading that you will by no means be storing any paper money in their SD box  ;)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:28:55 pm »

I have heard this.  
Having worked in a bank, this has never come up.  They might tell you this, in the case that they see you going in there to retrieve cash, not knowing that it is a collection (ie suspicious activity).  This is for money laundering preventative measures.

Having a collection in a SD box is common safety procedure.

It is your safety deposit box.  If you feel that your mattress is not the safest place, then you buy a SD box.  

http://www.northpeacesavings.com/personal/banking/safety_deposit_boxes.asp
"As you have total control of your safety deposit box, North Peace Savings assumes no legal responsibility for its contents.  We suggest that you arrange insurance for your stored valuables."

More interesting reading (US based)
http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=10012

Found more sites that speak of cash being a regular SD box item.

Now.... I am going to go get some small print print-offs to see EXACTLy what they say. I am very curious.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:30:52 pm by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 10:29:09 am »

My bank knows that I keep money in my SDB.  In fact, they get all excited when I come in because they know they are going to see some cool notes.

In fact, when I signed up for the SDB a couple of weeks ago, I specifically said it was for my banknote collection and they watched me put my banknotes in the box.

Brad
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:37:20 am »

Do you deal with a bank trust company or credit union?  Maybe different institutions have different rules

FRIEDSQUID

actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:41:19 am »

My SDB is with TD.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 11:33:09 am »

Interesting because mine is with TD Canada Trust as well and they showed me the actual written policy in regards to contents in a SDB.

FRIEDSQUID

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:21:02 pm »

I have had my collection in a safe deposit box for 20 years and have never been told this or heard of it. My box costs $160.00 a year so I guess they don't mind that revenue.

Some of the bank employees have enjoyed seeing Dominion of Canada notes they didn't know existed. The $4 note and 25 cent notes are the favorites.

Gary_T
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 12:35:11 pm »

As I was told the policy is that currency is not permitted to be kept in SD boxes. That being said, the particular bank I deal with new as well as enjoyed some of my collection as I was putting it in the SD box. I asked their reasoning and she explained that it is to prevent people from hiding large amounts of 'laundered' / illegally earned money from the Government or other law enforcement. She then went on to say that the bank also did not particularly enjoy individuals keeping 10s of thousands of dollars (not for collecting purposes) in their SD boxes opposed to depositing it into accounts where the bank could claim it and loan it out.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 01:12:59 pm »

I'm sure most banks probably don't even know the policy exists when in fact it does exactly for the reasons stated in the other post. Most employees say what they don't know they don't want to know and ignore it.
The bottom line is if the bank was robbed and SDB remove would they cover you for what you lost or not.  Something to think about.  It can happen.

FRIEDSQUID

actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:44:29 pm »

It is my understanding that, despite its name, a Safety Deposit Box is not a deposit and is therefore not insurred by the bank.  They have no way of truly knowing the value of the contents of the SDBs so it would be impossible for them to insure it anyway.

You should seek private insurance for the contents of your SDB.  In my case, my home insurance covered up to $500 for numismatic materials in a SDB and I was able to extend the coverage to insure my full collection.

Brad
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 01:49:35 pm »

So the term safety deposit box is very misleading.
It is not SAFE, nor is it considered a deposit?

Alot of money every year just for a box???

FRIEDSQUID

jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 01:50:57 pm »

Standard coverage for the contents of a box are limited to twice the annual fee or something like that, so you need private insurance to cover the contents
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:03:57 pm »

So the term safety deposit box is very misleading.
It is not SAFE, nor is it considered a deposit?

Alot of money every year just for a box???

FRIEDSQUID

It is misleading, at least the 'Deposit' part is.  Safety Deposit Boxes are also called Safe Deposit Boxes, which is less misleading since it alludes to the fact that the box is in a safe.

You are paying for the privilege of keeping your valuables in a bank vault.  I figured my collection was safer there then under my mattress, where I previously kept it.

I think you might be missing the point as to why someone gets a SDB.   More information regarding SDBs and why one might consider getting a SDB can be found here: http://www.foreignborn.com/self-help/banking/10-sd_boxes.htm .

Brad
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:05:02 pm »

Interesting discussion.  I too have had a SDB with BMO for many years now and never thought to ask or was even aware of this policy. 

While there are a number of banknotes in the box, I also have a 8mm video tape and a savings bond.  True most of the contents of this small box is paper money, but at least I know where it is and there's a lesser chance of the notes gettting damaged by humidity.  I live in a damp (at times) basement apartment.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 02:34:51 pm »

I have my SDB with TDCT and the staff there (including the manager) know full well what I am up to.

In fact, I've even put the bug in the manager's ear to see about coordinating some sort of community day where we show customers about counterfeit detection, security features, old notes, etc. Maybe even trade old $1s and $2s at face for anyone who wants some.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »

Let me know when the trading takes place.  I could use a shopping bag of old useless wornout creased ripped damaged obsolete notes ;D

I know the bank has policy and it also turns a blind eye.
But the fact that most people probably don't know is fact.

Must be some special tape  :o  Oh yeah video of all your banknotes

I figured my collection was safer there then under my mattress, where I previously kept it.
I guess UNC bills don't do well under a mattress.

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 03:05:23 pm by BWJM »

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 03:03:17 pm »

Interesting discussion.  I too have had a SDB with BMO for many years now and never thought to ask or was even aware of this policy. 

While there are a number of banknotes in the box, I also have a 8mm video tape and a savings bond.  True most of the contents of this small box is paper money, but at least I know where it is and there's a lesser chance of the notes gettting damaged by humidity.  I live in a damp (at times) basement apartment.
I work for BMO and I have just searched my bank's policies and procedures regarding SDBs.  There is nothing in our policies prohibiting storing banknotes in an SDB.

Quoting BMO's SDB application form, the only restriction is:

"The Customer will not put anything in the Box which could be physically dangerous or offensive such as firearms, ammunition, explosive materials or devices or any other potentially life and property threatening items (or illegal drugs)."

I remember a forum member made a posting about someone who put perfume in their SDB that leaked into his SDB and stank up his notes.  I wonder if the customer who stored the perfume could have been sued by our forum member for damages because she contravened the agreement by storing a "property threatening item"?

Login with username, password and session length