Author
Topic: Notes in SDBs  (Read 6914 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 02:34:51 pm »

I have my SDB with TDCT and the staff there (including the manager) know full well what I am up to.

In fact, I've even put the bug in the manager's ear to see about coordinating some sort of community day where we show customers about counterfeit detection, security features, old notes, etc. Maybe even trade old $1s and $2s at face for anyone who wants some.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »

Let me know when the trading takes place.  I could use a shopping bag of old useless wornout creased ripped damaged obsolete notes ;D

I know the bank has policy and it also turns a blind eye.
But the fact that most people probably don't know is fact.

Must be some special tape  :o  Oh yeah video of all your banknotes

I figured my collection was safer there then under my mattress, where I previously kept it.
I guess UNC bills don't do well under a mattress.

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 03:05:23 pm by BWJM »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 03:03:17 pm »

Interesting discussion.  I too have had a SDB with BMO for many years now and never thought to ask or was even aware of this policy. 

While there are a number of banknotes in the box, I also have a 8mm video tape and a savings bond.  True most of the contents of this small box is paper money, but at least I know where it is and there's a lesser chance of the notes gettting damaged by humidity.  I live in a damp (at times) basement apartment.
I work for BMO and I have just searched my bank's policies and procedures regarding SDBs.  There is nothing in our policies prohibiting storing banknotes in an SDB.

Quoting BMO's SDB application form, the only restriction is:

"The Customer will not put anything in the Box which could be physically dangerous or offensive such as firearms, ammunition, explosive materials or devices or any other potentially life and property threatening items (or illegal drugs)."

I remember a forum member made a posting about someone who put perfume in their SDB that leaked into his SDB and stank up his notes.  I wonder if the customer who stored the perfume could have been sued by our forum member for damages because she contravened the agreement by storing a "property threatening item"?

Login with username, password and session length