Author
Topic: $4.00 note  (Read 3335 times)
freemanart
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:41:13 am »

Good morning.
I am writing a television documentary 'Gathering Dust' based upon collectibles and recently discovered heirlooms etc. and seek your advice on the following Canadian Bank note for accuracy.
The note carries an image of a seated  elderly lady to the left teaching little girl to knit. A bee hive I beleive it is, to right.

Features:

Bank of Commerce.
July 1. 1870
Four Dollar TORONTO
Signed illeg. bottom left but Mc Master to the right. Numbered 073460

If any of you can assist with any sound information and accurate comment on this item, I would be endebted to you. Please feel free to e mail me directly.

Many thanks for your time.
David
Bob
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:13:21 pm »

Your information is valid for the note.  The left signature was applied, probably at the branch level, in pen and ink.  The engraved right signature is that of Sir William McMaster, after whom the university is named, and the founder of the bank.  Nineteen surviving examples of the note have been recorded; yours will make twenty.  Current catalogue value is $750 for Good condition, $1,400 for Very Good; $2,250 for Fine and $3,000 for Very Fine (the finest known, and it is in an institutional collection.)  I suspect current market values could be a bit higher.  The note was printed by British American Bank Note Co., which is still in business and producing most of our current spending money, although under new ownership.
The $4 denomination was used by most banks; it was the equivalent of the old Canadian pound currency (known as Halifax currency and not to be confused with sterling).  Although decimal currency was adopted in 1857 or so, some of the older folk kept their accounts in pounds and shillings long after, and the $4 denomination was not withdrawn until 1912.  Banks lost the right to issue $4's in the bank act revision of the early 1880's and the Dominion Department of Finance took over, with issues dated 1882, 1900 and 1902.
The vignette at the left is called "The first lesson", showing a grandmother teaching a girl to knit, as you said.
I'm not sure what kind of information you are asking for - if I've missed it, just ask.
Can you share a scan with us?

Collecting Canadian since 1955
freemanart
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:06:49 am »

I am endebted to Bob for this insight.
It is clearly not my subject area and I required serious and knowledgeable advisory as I just could not  see this listed in any of the basic tomes.
I am letting Bob have a photograph of the bill for you as soon as my schedule permits. Unfortunately, I am 'borrowing' computers here in Canada whilst I am away from my British base and I would ask you for just a little patience.

Regards to you all.

David
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:22:28 pm »

I had sent an email to David to remind him of his request for information and he was very grateful for the reminder.

I look foreward to seeing a scan of this note when he gets a chance.

Gary_T

Login with username, password and session length