Author
Topic: Do any Canadians collect USA currency?  (Read 6210 times)
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: April 19, 2007, 02:10:03 am »

Hello, friends:
                 I collected USA currency  for  about  30  years, specializing in star notes.  But  I also collected about a dozen other selected countries,  including  Canada, and for my Canada collection I tried to get all  replacement notes  (I  even owned a devil-head $10 asterisk in CU).   And many of my fellow numismatists in USA did also collect other countries.
                 So I just  got to wondering:   how many Canada collectors also collect USA?    Several percent?  A few percent?  No percent??   Every time I run a request for info or for images or whatever, I also remind you all  that I can provide images  oof rare and super-rare USA currency.  but no one has ever asked me for any USA image. 
                    Just curious......
                                                 Thanks,     Bernard Schaaf
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 02:18:59 am »

Firstly, I'm moving your post to the US Currency forum.

Personally, I do have some American currency in my collection, although it composes not even a percentage point of my entire collection. None of it is of any significance, and is more just to have rather than focussed on a particular aspect of the very broad category that is American currency. All of my notes are post-1928 (ie: small-sized), but I do have a couple Federal Reserve Bank Notes, a pile of Silver Certificates, a bunch of National Currency, and even a Hawaii-overprinted $1 alongside an assortment of Federal Reserve Notes. Lately, I have tried to get 1-2 C.UNC notes of the current issues in sequential order for each denomination (ie: an example of each).

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:58:53 am »

I have seen no IDs that are the same as on the US currency forums so I would say very few here collect US currency with any zeal and after TIV's posts, that may be a smart thing especially if you are paying for it in C$
starman
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 03:15:51 am »

Living on Vancouver Island, we never see any for sale. Even looking through the Canadian Coin News none of the dealers ever seem to offer any for sale...in either currency.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:44:24 pm »

I think the main problem in collecting US currency is that its so dang common (esp in comparison to CDN currency) Like the US itself - the currency seems to represent two extremes: either extremely common (cheap) or extremely rare (outlandishly expensive) - like that  $2 million obscure $500 note!  With the exception of the Education and a few of the older series....its also considered fairly drab in colour/design. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 12:47:57 pm by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length