Author
Topic: Forum Registration  (Read 7693 times)
admin
  • Administrator
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:46:12 am »

Due to a large number of spammers attempting to sign up to the forum we have had to restrict registrations to "approval only".  If you are trying to sign up please fill in the "Register" form as usual and then send an e-mail to admin at [the domain of this site].

In your e-mail please write coherently enough and provide sufficient information about yourself and your interest in Canadian paper money to convince me that you are not a spammer.  Please be creative with the information you provide and relate it to the field of Canadian Paper Money so it doesn't look like a copy-and-paste job.

I will try to respond to all requests within 24-48 hours!

Some hints for answering the challenge questions:

The Bank of Canada, located in the nation's capital, opened for business on March 11, 1935.  The first issue, featuring separate unilingual English and French notes was dated and released that same year.

Since stockpiles of 1866 Province of Canada notes remained available at the time of confederation in 1867, the first official "Dominion of Canada" notes weren't issued until 1870, starting with the 25 cent shinplasters and followed by $1 and $2 notes.

The multicoloured issue of 1969-1975 brought with it the 2-letter prefix style with denomination letter followed by series letter.  Since "A" was the first denomination letter reserved for the $1 and "A" is the first series, the first prefix was AA, followed by AB, etc.  When all two letter combinations were nearly exhausted, a third letter was added to designate the printer (A, B, C for British American Bank Note and E, F, G, etc for Canadian Bank Note).

From 1935 until their final day of issue in the year 2000, the Bank of Canada issued one thousand dollar notes as their highest denomination.  Currently issued denominations include five, ten, twenty, fifty and one hundred dollar notes.

The two dollar note was officially withdrawn from circulation in 1996.  However, the last issue was dated 1986.

From 1972 until now, Sir Wilfred Laurier, 7th prime minister of Canada has adorned the $5 note.  His days may be counted, though, as new designs are being considered for the denomination.  He was previously featured on the $1000 note in 1935 and 1937.

The 1986 to 1991 Bank of Canada series, for which the background of this site is themed, had each denomination adorned with different birds native to Canada.

A number of surprising denomination have been used over the years:

Four dollar notes were issued by the Dominion of Canada in 1882 and again in 1900.  Much to the embarrassment of the finance department, a vignette of the American side of the Sault Ste. Marie locks was used by mistake on this last issue.  A final issue with an updated vignette, dated 1902, was released to correct the error.

Twenty Five dollar notes were briefly issued in 1935 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the reign of King George V.

Five Hundred dollar notes are the holy grail for banknote collectors, issued in very limited quantities in 1911, 1925 and 1935.  These notes are some of the most prized of all Canadian banknotes, most collectors having never seen one in real life, much less having had the opportunity to own one.

$5000 and $50,000 notes were issued in a special series of "Bank Legals" for use by financial institutions to meet their reserve requirements prior to the existence of the Bank of Canada.  These notes were never issued to the public and only survive in Specimen and Proof form.

Fractional notes of 25 cents were issued by the Dominion of Canada with 1870, 1900 and 1923 issue dates.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:31:50 pm by admin »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 07:02:10 am »

Due to a large number of spammers attempting to sign up to the forum we have had to restrict registrations
-unfortunate.  Hopefully, it will settle down & sort itself out.

JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 10:58:39 am »

For the last several weeks i have try multiple times to log in as the system tells me either my user name or password is incorrect which is false because i have been logging on with the name and password for almost 20 years. Today i was lucky it let me  in on the 4th try. Is this normal now or a bug?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 05:58:20 pm »

For the last several weeks i have try multiple times to log in as the system tells me either my user name or password is incorrect which is false because i have been logging on with the name and password for almost 20 years. Today i was lucky it let me  in on the 4th try. Is this normal now or a bug?

Does not happen to me. Did you make sure you do not have a stuck key.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length