Author
Topic: Maybe your Mom will take an interest too  (Read 7511 times)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: May 06, 2007, 01:03:59 pm »

Mom passed away,after a 4 year battle with lung cancer.She was a courageous fighter,raised her children without a father,never took welfare,Mom had too much pride,she went to work for Woodwards,when they were bought out by The Bay,they kept her in service because of the many commendations she received.

Mom took an interest in paper money collecting.She was a woman of modest means,so her notes were not rare and high valued,but she had a certain pride in her modest notes,and I inherited them.

We may have many notes at different times,we can have a variety of coins,but we only have one Mom.Take time too share with yours.

With that said,I think it may be time to part with my collection.I dont know,I seem to have lost my passion for so many things.Strange,when you loved this hobby as deeply as I have.
I know there are many fine collectors and dealers gathered here,but I do not have the will or heart to sell my collection seperately,piece by piece.
If any dealers would like to view my collection with the purpose of purchasing it whole,please contact me via pm or twoinvallarta@gmail.com.
It should be stated,it is large and would be a major purchase.

Perhaps show it to your Mom before you sell it.

God Bless

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:31:06 pm »

My deepest sympathies, Rob.

PS: I suggest you hold off selling your collection. Put it away for a bit until things get back to normal for a while. I would hate to hear that you regret your decision a few weeks from now. Andrew's words below are my thoughts exactly.

What do you do when you get knocked off your horse? You jump right back on. You're laying on the ground right now, so lick your wounds for a bit, then get back on your horse and ride. From what you've told me privately, I might expect that this is what your mom would prefer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:21:52 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 04:32:57 pm »

Sorry to hear of your loss.... Everyone here shares their sympathies.

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 06:19:17 pm »

Sorry Rob  :(

Wait a while before you sell though. I once had a large collection. Back in the 4th edition days and sold it. Granted for different reasons. The passion to collect eventually returned and I cannot replace the notes I once had. Mostly for financial reasons and in a few cases the notes just aren't for sale even if I did have the money. I can totally understand you being bummed right now. My Pop is getting close to end of the day and I know it's gonna be hard. But in a few weeks, months a year things will start to look somewhat normal again.

Regards
Andrew
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:27:32 pm »

Robert,

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.  It really hits home with me today as I just
finished hosting a backyard luncheon in honour of my mother's 80th birthday.

My thoughts are with you and Jo Ann.

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:54:56 pm »

My sympathies go out to you and your family Rob,
Oliver
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 10:35:48 pm »

TIV,

My deepest condolences.
paperchase
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 11:11:52 pm »

Twin:
 I remember crying like a baby when my dad past away 12 years ago (still do when I think back), I was absolutely crushed, everything had lost it's meaning and I even questioned the value of life itself. Through time the pain faded and good memories took their place.....like the time when silver coins were being pulled from circulation, my Dad (he started me coin collecting) drove me around to a lot of banks so that I could asked the tellers to purchase the silver half dollars and dollars they had withdrawn from circulation......I was overjoyed to get as many as I could afford (funny how bank tellers seemed much more accomodating back then...maybe I'm just not as cute as I used to be!).
When he died, I recieved his coin collection, nothing rare or exotic. For the longest time I could not bear to even look at them. A couple of years later my son was born and over time we began to look at the coins together and I'd tell him stories about my Dad. What once had little meaning to me and, in truth, was a source of pain now became a thing of beauty. Yes, they are only just a box of coins with little value, but I'll have them until I draw my last breath....then, in time, perhaps my son will show his kids those coins.
By the way, I still have those silver halves and dollars too.
God Bless
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 11:55:08 pm »

Robert,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

God Bless,
Doug
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 11:59:27 pm »

Hello, I offer you my deepest sympathies Two-in,

I inheireted my father's collection of Notes and coins when he suddenly passed away in a hunting accident back in 86. It wasn't worth much but that collection handed down to me represented one of the finest times I spent with him. I've built it up considerably since but could not bear to part with any of the original material he left me, even now. I recall finding a 1954 mod *IG in change and happily gave it to him. I still have it and won't part with it. As the oldest but not necessarily the wisest of siblings I made more than my fair share of unwise decisions back then dealing with his estate. I couldn't deal with the hurt and became big-time alcohol dependant but I had to change, I did no one any good as a drunken idiot so I had to 'grow-up' and I needed help. Now, I am so blessed with my own friends and family and now share my collection with my young two boys as my father did with me. I teach them the history behind my collection and how to take care of it.

May my Jesus bless you in times of Joy and in Need,
"For He has taken my yoke and and burdened himself for my sake."

Derrick (PD)

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 01:38:04 am »

Rob,
       Sorry to hear of your loss. Please wait a few weeks or months before you sell your collection. What's the hurry anyways let it sit.

Sounds to me that your hard working single Mom was quite a woman to have raised such a fine productive member of society.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Gary

Gary_T
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 03:49:38 am »

TIV: My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Your mother sounds like a great example of resilliance in times of difficulty - a true example of how we can all find strength in even the hardest times.  I am sorry to hear about her passing.

On the note of family togetherness, some stories are surfacing about how much more value a collection has- beyond the "book value".  I have a large-cent set I built with my dad between the ages of 5 and 12 years old. Like others, I now realize that the time spent with my father is far more valuable to me than the coins themselves ever will be - But they remain a tangible representation.  I look at them when I am home, and it is like flipping through old photographs, with each coin having it's own story and personal memory with my dad.  Some of your notes may be like that.  Right now they might represent sorrow, but in time they might represent loving memories.

God Bless
H
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:53:30 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Agio
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 11:38:32 am »

Sorry to hear about your loss TIV.
For what it's worth a couple of years back I had a personal rocker and felt very much the same way you did. I cared nothing about this 'stuff' but I took the advice of a couple of friends and as opposed to selling off the entire collection I waited a couple of months before deciding anything. Still didn't much care about the collection after that time however as my collection contains some decent notes I decided to 'shop' about 20 of em around as a lot. The offers I received cured me of wanting to sell off the collection and I simply tossed it all in a safety deposit box. Having dealt with you and J I have a reasonable idea of what type of material you have and to be honest, I can't see anyone paying what I think you'll want ( and what it's worth) for the entire collection. Private collectors may buy a few, but I think it'll be dealers when it comes to the collection and only one I know of may come close. So maybe wait a couple of months and try what I did.
Again sorry to hear about your loss.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 02:29:27 pm »

This is something that most of us have been through in the past and/or will go through in the future. The first few weeks can be very tough indeed but after a couple of months the gray cloud will start to lift and your current sad feelings will be replaced by good memories of the past. My father died in 1980 and my mother in 1998. I still think of them from time to time (fairly frequently in fact) but there is no longer any pain, only happy memories .....

As others have suggested, don't make any rash (paper money) decisions while you are still grieving.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:10:57 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 06:07:59 pm »

Rob, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. 
I agree with the advice given here re: selling off your collection.  No one wants to tell you what to do.. .I mean its your business after all... however its usually better to wait when things have settled a bit.  When I lost my dad, all my siblings rushed in to collect various nicknacks, while I sat by sort of stunned.  I think the impact of a close death in the family affects each of us differently.  At the time we were cleaning up and looking through my dad's belongings, I had a very indifferent attitude.  I wish I was a little more cognizant of this fact, or at least connected to what was going on, and made a few claims myself.  I think after we encounter a death in the family, we all react differently, but perhaps most importantly we act rather detached from potential momentos, souvenirs, and the like... maybe becuase we're still in a state of shock.  I don't know...but I know I have regretted my past indifference, only once the death was  further in the past.

Login with username, password and session length