Author
Topic: The $20 and the $50  (Read 11245 times)
Jason
« on: April 17, 2004, 02:19:04 pm »

It's been a month since the $100s were unleashed on the nation, and the year is almost 1/3 over.  So I am wondering--has anyone heard about what comes next?  Between "unveilings" and "releases", I am thinking that we ought to hear something soon.  Any news?  Rumours?  Hints?  Please share!  
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 02:33:04 pm »

This is just my prediction, but I'm guessing we'll see the new $50 around July, and the new $20 around Christmas.  

Just my guess. ::)

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
westerncoin
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 03:46:45 pm »

Hello from Calgary ,

Just my thoughts and opinions on what will come out next. As we have all been waiting on the new Jenkins/Dodge signatures on the $5 and $10 journey series notes.I dont think we will see them on what we know of the so called journey series notes. Some of you may or may not be aware that the company who made the paper for the bank of Canada(a company from Montreal)recently lost the contract because they refused to upgade their plant. The contract has been awarded to the same German company who supplied the paper for the new hundred..My thesis is that we will see the journey $5 and $10 change to the new paper with some of the new security features of the 100..That is when we will see the new signatures..I also believe that there have been some $5 journey notes printed in 2003 with the jenkins signatures but will probably not be released  into circulation unless there is a big demand for $5's before the new German made paper is available..In saying all that I believe we will see the new journey $50 first followed by the new $10(on german paper)thann the new $5(on german paper)and finally the $20(on German paper)..

regards

T.C.
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 01:48:34 am »

The next prefix to come out will be the $50... This will likely be towards the end of the year. As for the $20... i dont expect to see it for another 3 or 4 years yet. Keep in mind the latest 20$ is dated 1991. When the birds 2,5 came out in 1986 we had to wait 7 years before seeing the 20 because the 1991 20$ did not appear into circulation until summer 1993. I dont expect to see any journey 20 before 2008, thats just my expectations.  
Jason
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 02:36:22 am »

You make an interesting point, JB105, but all of the press releases I HAVE heard all claim that both notes will be out before the end of 2004.  It will be interesting to see how it turns out.  2004, as they say; 2008-ish, as you say; or somewhere in between.  Time will tell, I suppose.
JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 12:30:28 pm »

Its true, i forgot about what the press releases were saying. Anyhow i do believe that we will see the 50 farely soon but i still think it will be sometime before we see the 20... a good 2 years at least before its circulated to the public.
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 03:22:48 pm »

The Bank of Canada is almost pretty accurate when it comes to releases of the new notes.

However, when the new $10 note was launched in January 2001, the BoC said that the new $5 note would be issued later in 2001, but was actually released in March of 2002.  With that being said, the next new note (presumably the $50) will be released later this year, and the last remaining note, which is rumoured to be released around Christmas of 2004, may be released as scheduled, or possibly in early 2005, but, anything is possible - we will have to keep our eyes peeled...

Later, Jonathan ;)
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 05:04:51 pm »

I don't trust the BoC with their release dates, they're never right.  And now that the $5 and 10 have to be re-done with new security features, I agree with JB105.  I'm now not expecting the $50 until December at the earliest, and the $20 until December 2005.

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 07:01:14 pm »

According to Michael's breakfast conversation with Senior Deputy Governor W. Paul Jenkins, Jenkins stated that the new $10's and $5's will be redesigned with the new security features over the next few months.

He also stated that the new Journey $20 and $50 notes WILL be issued before the year is over, with one of them being released in the summer and the other released in the fall.

Hey, the summer is only two months away...

Later, Jonathan
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 12:51:33 am »

Facing the rising number of fake 5s and 10s (in despite of supposedly hi-tech anticountereiting features), and since we haven't seen new prefixes in the 10$ since last August, it makes sense for me that the BoC is currently redesigning the 10$ note (and probably the 5$ note too).

My hypothesis is this one: they should get rid of the useless golden maple leaves and invisible latent image.  And since they seem to use the same German paper as for the 100$ note, it's logical to use a paper watermarked with Laurier's and MacDonald's effigies.  The space freed by removing the golden maple leaves can be used for a watermark (It could be however necessary to modify the reverse design  to accomodate the watermark).  And a holographic metallic strip (as for the 100s) at the left of the portraits could be put in place of the latent image.

These features aren't absolutely counterfeiting-proof (the professionnals can make very decent notes with watermarks and others security features), but if the can stop any leisurely kid to make easy money, it's a good bonus and should remove at least 90% of fake notes.

If this theory proves to be true (albeit partially), it's could be the first modification of a note since 1954 (modifing the so-called "Devil face" portrait to a "modified one").

If the BoC doesn't takes the good decisions about the security of the notes of this serie (even for the smallest denominations), and if the fakes notes continue to get more numerous, I think that the whose serie should be scrapped and switched to polymer notes.

JB-2007
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 01:03:25 am »

In my opinion the bank of Canada did a very poor job at designing the journey 5 and 10. It only proved to be a joke for counterfeiters. If the bank of Canada do not take immediate action in redesigning the journey 5, 10 i think many canadians will loose trust in our 5's and 10's.
54devs
  • Only money will help me now !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 08:29:58 am »

Assuming that these redesigned $5 and $10 journey notes come to past, would it be wise for me to keep the old $5 and $10 journey notes or would they have no real value to a collector.

Please advise
54devs
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 08:33:06 am by 54devs »
Jason
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 08:47:43 pm »

It's been a week since the forum went offline.  Has anyone learned anything new about the umcoming releases?

J
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2004, 08:53:11 pm »

I stumbled across this at the Bank of Canada website:

Question 4:    
What is the subject matter that will appear on the different denominations?
Answer:  
 $5   Children at Play
$10   Remembrance and Peacekeeping
$20   Arts and Culture
$50   Nation Building

$100 Exploration and Innovation

Question 6:  
When will the new $20 and $50 notes be introduced?
Answer:  
The Bank expects to issue the new $20 and $50 notes by the end of 2004. This will complete the Canadian Journey series.  

I didn't see any information or mention of a redesigned Journey $10 note.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 08:53:58 pm by eyevet »

jonathan
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 10:01:50 pm »

Maybe it is because the revised $10's will be of the same design, with the theme "Remembrance & Peacekeeping."  The only difference is that the new revised $10's will possibly have high security features, maybe similar to that of the new $100's that are out now.

The new redesigned $10's will possibly be issued for general circulation by this summer - I hope.

Hey, the summer is less than a month away...

Jonathan
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 10:39:40 pm »

Other than anectdotal references to a redesigned $10 on this website have you seen any independant confirmation that this is really in the works?.  

Login with username, password and session length