Author
Topic: BEY 5.840 - 5.842 info.  (Read 4013 times)
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« on: May 23, 2007, 11:39:33 am »

For the record here is what I know of this range:

These notes were found in regular BABN packaging in bricks of BTA, BTC and BTF by three different brick seachers over a period of a few months. BEY 5.840 - 5.842 replacement notes were inserted one at a time ( SNR ). The number of these notes found are as follows:

BTA - 2 notes found

BTC - 1 note found

BTF 7.486000 - 2 notes found - All three of these notes have band marks as if they had been CBN style strapped at some time. A very very slight impression of a cutting at bottom right. There is a very slight " push " in the paper, from back to front, which has been noticed on many of the SNRs. The position numbers ( 96/84 ) indicate that they were cut from a "mini-ream".

BTF 7.485000 - 1 note found   

My find last week was in both BTF 7.486, 7.485 and was mixed with a range of BTF 8.359 replacements which were also inserted one at a time with position numbers ( 74/56 ) that indicates they were cut from a "mini ream". Many of the replacements also showed a small paper " push ", back to front, and all notes showed varying degrees of rippling from very minor single at Mc Donald's lapel to two ripples that ran from top to bottom.

Oddly enough consecutive brick BTF 7.487 showed up at another branch of the T-D about 40 miles away. This particular brick also contained BTF 8.359 replacements and, although we don't know yet, may have also contained additional BEY 5.48 replacements. If this brick contained BEY the the number of those notes would probably be either 5.841017 or 5.841022 or very close. We will have to wait to get the report from the brick searcher. Info from this brick is now posted on the site.

BTF 7.487 - 1 note found

Appreciate the info you so quickly provided, Arthur. Seems like numbers 1019, 1022 and 1023 somehow were not in the hopper. Interesting stuff.

How do you get a mix of single note replacements ( BEY and BTF ) in the same brick????

My personal thoughts are that regular SNRs are inserted by machine. A paper "push", from back to front, found on many of these notes indicates that to me. I believe that after sheets are cut the notes are run through machines that electronically scan for errors, insert replacements, count into bundles of 100, then paper banded, paper banded into bricks of 10 bundles before they move on to be shrink wrapped.

When the scanner rejects a note a replacement is inserted from a hopper containing a stack. The hopper must always have a supply so before it runs out more notes are added. eg: 500 replacement notes, from bricks set aside for the purpose ( a possible reason for strap marks found on SNRs with numbers that are close to the 000 and 999 notes ) are placed into the hopper with prefix and serial numbers facing up. These notes are pushed by mechanical arm ( this is where the paper "push" occurs ), always top note first, as needed every time the scanner rejects a note from the line. Before that original 500 is completely exhausted another 500 is added leaving a small number of the original replacements at the bottom. Occationally the hopper may use up all of the second 500 notes and continue to dispense a few from the original 500 before it is loaded by one of the workers. This would happen over and over so the original 500 can be interspersed with other replacements and found even over multiple prefixes.

Another possibility for mixed replacements in a single brick is that there are two scanners used each with its own hopper. One scanner may may look at the front of the note and insert BTF. The other scanner may look at the back of the note and insert BEY. If so I would suggest, because of the inkspots on BTF replacements, which can be seen in the error section, that the front of the note is scanned first. Replacements inserted for front side errors would only be scanned on the back. Seems to me if this senerio is correct that the BTF replacements in my bricks were used to replace front side errors and BEYs were used to replace errors on the back.

I hope that, while reading this piece, you will notice that I used the word "replacement" quite a bit. In the hobby we have gotten used to the word "insert" probably because it has fewer letter to type. In fact the word "insert" is an "action" but the ITEM being "inserted" is actually a replacement. I wish we could all get used to using the proper name for these thingys.

If anyone has more info to add about BEY 5.840-5.842 replacemts please post. If you have any questions please ask.

Gary 

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:28:19 pm by sudzee »
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:49:22 am »

Gary,

The BTF 7487000 (73/62) brick I searched had one BEY (5.840M - 5.842M) replacement note.

BEY 5841024 (96/84) replaced BTF 7487185 (73/62)

...Arthur

{http://www.davgro.com/images/cpmf/2005_$10_BEY5841024_Back.jpg}
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:21:24 pm by canada-banknotes »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:37:58 pm »

Great scan. I think I can see the ripples caused the temporary plastic CBN style strapping. If you check the front of the note you should be able to detect the " paper push " about 3/8" to the right of Mc Donald's eye. Appreciate the info, thanks.

Gary
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 07:29:05 pm »

I received two bricks today from a TD Canada Trust in Newmarket, ON.  The bricks were bagged in heavy
heat-sealed plastic with the words BoC and the BoC emblem imprinted on the bag instead of the normal
shrink-wrapped thin plastic.  The notes in each bag were packaged in the same fashion. 

a) There were 1000 consecutive notes starting with the 000 note and ending with the 999 note. 
b) All 1000 notes were held together with plastic straps reminiscent of bricks prepared by CBN. 
c) There were no BoC bands seperating the notes into 100 note bundles.
d) Each brick had two replacement notes placed between the 000 and 001 notes.
e) There was one note removed from the first 500 notes and one note removed from the last 500 notes.

The bricks were BTD 1560000 ( 55/76 ) and BTD 1561000 ( 58/78 ).

The replacements were BEY 5840904 - 907 ( 70/70 ).   The position numbers indicate that these notes came
from a mini ream.

I have talked with Gilles and sudzee about my find and both agree that this is another case of random notes
being removed from a brick by the BoC and replaced with two replacement notes.  This brings the total number
of BEY (5.840M - 5.842M) SNRs reported to 11.

Here are images of the notes from both bricks including the 000 and 001 shoulder notes:

{http://www.davgro.com/images/cpmf/2005_$10_BTD1560_BEY5840_SNR.jpg}

{http://www.davgro.com/images/cpmf/2005_$10_BTD1561_BEY5840_SNR.jpg}
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:42:22 pm by canada-banknotes »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:18:12 pm »

Arthur

That is a really nice find. It is interesting that the replacements are being placed on the top of the bricks.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation

Login with username, password and session length