Author
Topic: Journey Replacement Note Ranges - Discussion Topic  (Read 5082 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:35:20 pm »

I have had discussions with many forum members about the upcoming CNA Convention and the
opportunity it affords CPMF members to get together and discuss issues pertaining to the paper money
hobby.

I would like to suggest we put together a list of important topics that we as a group feel is worthy of
round table discussions.  I would like to lead off the list with a topic that is on everyones minds these
days, and that is the current replacement note confirmation process and the defining and reporting of
replacement note ranges.

I have had lengthy discussions off the forum on this topic and I think it would be beneficial if we as a group
sat down and looked at this very important issue.  Some questions I would like to bring to the discussion include:

a) Can we as a group lobby for the release of replacement note information from the Bank of Canada or
the respective printers ?

b) What forces can we bring to bear that may help influence those parties that it is in the best interest of
the hobby to release this information ?

c) is the current process that is in place for the confirmation of replacement notes ranges adequate and
do collectors within the hobby have faith in the process as it stands ?

d) Is succession planning in place to handle this process in the event that the those involved in the
process now, are no longer able or willing, to continue in the role(s) they currently have ?

e) Is the dissemination of information related to replacement note ranges being handled properly and in a
timely manner so that all collectors can benefit from this information ?  Should the Wiki site be updated in a
more timely manner than the current span of every 60 days ?

These are just some of the questions I think we need to take a hard look at.  I encourage your comments
and the addition of any other topics that could benefit from open discussions among members planning to
attend the CNA in July.

If you are unable to attend the CNA Convention then I encourage you to add to this thread so that your
comments are heard and included in any discussions that may take place in your absence.

...Arthur
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:41:24 pm by canada-banknotes »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 07:07:05 pm »

Very interesting and thought provoking questions!  I myself am not big on insert note collecting like I was with X notes years ago.   

While I don't have much to say in regards to the questions posed, I would however advocate a system that easily identifies replacements and is more user friendly than what we have now.  Personally I think it's too confusing and dependant on a handful of dedicated Collectors to sort through and analyze.  If they grow weary of the brick hunting/researching then someone else has to take their place and that could be difficult indeed.

Point is that alot of work goes into discovering inserts and the BOC likely isn't obligated to tell us anything so we're left at their mercy.  They know there's a large market for replacements, errors, inserts, radars, rotators, etc out there and it isn't their job to cater to us.  They just make a product that we're infatuated with. ;D

If we're going to see any major changes it will have to be with the next series in 2011 onwards.  This is where we can have the most influence, but it wouldn't hurt to continue the great relationship CPMS members have with the BOC and hope for a few more treats along the way.

I am indeed fortunate to be able to attend the CNA convention in part on Saturday for a few hours in the afternoon(between 12 & 5pm) if anyone wants to grab a coffee/snack at some point in the hospitality room.

Login with username, password and session length