Author
Topic: Issure new 5 and 10 dollar bills  (Read 6902 times)
suretteda
« on: April 19, 2004, 12:03:33 am »

New bills to be issued to fight counterfeiters

The Bank of Canada is about to issure new five and 10-dollar bills in a bid to make life more difficult for counterfeiters.

The basic design will stay the same, but new security features will be added to make the bills harder to copy.

Bank spokesman Bill Cook won't disclose the new measures, but says the revamped 10's will hit the streets in about two months.

The new five's will follow later in the year.

Cook says counterfeiting is on the rise despite numerous security measures already in the bills to prevent the making of fakes.

He says police have seized $4.4 million in funny money so far this year.

Much of the phoney money is in circulation during the busy Christmas season.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1025828990055_21238190
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 12:05:03 am by suretteda »
lenny
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 01:52:56 am »

I think the big problem with our notes is that the basic layout and colours can be easily scanned and the other features added after a high quality image has been produced.

Therefore, the new features should include some aliasing such that when the note is scanned or copied, a hidden image appears (ie. 10 dollars) that cannot be easily removed.

Also, the leaves should be more defined. Perhaps they should make them similar to the OSD on twenties.

Lenny
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 02:44:57 am »

The leaves should be abolished.  In their place put a ghost portrait and the woven thread.  That will work just fine.

Marc :)
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 07:01:59 pm »

Hmm, yeah I just noticed the date.  The $10 made it's debut a month after that article.  At the time of that story, the Journey series didn't exist.  That's old, old news.

Marc :)
54devs
  • Only money will help me now !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 08:39:45 am »

I've asked on another thread but I'll ask here also for maximum exposure.

Assuming that these redesigned $5 and $10 journey notes come to past, would it be wise for me to keep the old $5 and $10 journey notes or would they have no real value to a collector.

Please advise
54devs
jonathan
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 12:18:25 am »

Does anybody know when the revamped tens or fives will be issued?

suretteda's posting was dated April 18th and said that the revamped tens would be issued in about two months, so if that's the case, the new revamped tens would be released sometime in June (that's next month!), and the new revamped fives would follow later in the year.

Tomorrow will be exactly one month since suretteda's posting, and the time is getting closer for the new revamped tens' release.

If anybody on the forum has any guess on when the new revamped tens would be released, please let me know.

Talk to ya later!

Jonathan

P.S.:  I can't wait until the next new $10 prefix gets released, whether it will be BEL or FEO/FEP...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 12:20:46 am by jonathan »
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 12:35:21 am »

The article that suretteda quoted was from 2000, so the notes being referred to in that article was the Journey 10's that we all have already.

suretteda
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 01:38:12 pm »

He also told me that the Bank was in fact introducing additional security feature enhancements on the $10 Journey Series Notes and that it will be issued for general circulation by this summer.   There was not much concern or urgency expressed by Mr. Jenkins about updating the security features on the $5 notes.  

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=journey;action=display;num=1082355532

Login with username, password and session length