Author
Topic: Specimen Banknotes - who collects, why, and what do you collect...  (Read 5740 times)
canadianpaper

I started collection specimens in conjunction to other parts of my Canadian Banknotes because I wanted 'nice looking' examples of a certain series of notes. Since starting I've acquired specimens of the 1935, 1937, 1954, 1967, multicolor, and birds series.

My favorite would have to be my 1937 $1000 specimen - thus far.

I was curious as to who else collects specimens and what the goal while collecting this segment of our hobby might be... thanks for your feedback
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:04:09 pm »

I collect Specimens of issued notes that I would normally find it impossible or cost prohibitive to own.

For some notes like the 1935 $500 French, it is the closest that anyone other than the curator of the
National Currency Museum, will get to an UNC example of this beautiful and rare note.

...Arthur

{http://www.davgro.com/images/cpmf/1937_$500_French_Front.jpg}

{http://www.davgro.com/images/cpmf/1935_$500_French_Back.jpg}
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:07:17 pm by canada-banknotes »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 09:13:32 am »

Like Arthur above, I too collect Specimen notes only in those cases where the corresponding issued notes are essentially unavailable or do not exist at all, e.g., the Bank of Ottawa $10 1880 note illustrated below. I infinitely prefer Specimens to Proofs as Specimens are identical to the issued notes except for having 000000 serial numbers and perhaps some cancellation holes. Proofs on the other hand are usually printed on gossamer-thin India paper, they are uniface, and the hues of the colours never seem to be quite the same as on the issued notes.

I am not particularly keen on collecting Specimen notes in those cases where the corresponding issued notes are common and freely available. For example, I have always had a bit of difficulty understanding why people would pay hundreds of dollars for a Bank of Canada $1 1967 Specimen note when the corresponding issued note is available for about $4.00. Moreover, the $1 1967 Specimen notes themselves are not so scarce as many hundreds were sold in the Bank of Canada Auction conducted by Charles Moore in 1999 [having said that though I do have a matching pair myself!] However, I fully understand that each collector is different in his/her preferences and that contributes to making the hobby so interesting and dynamic.

{http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3433819/2007/6/1/Ottawa.jpg}
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:27:00 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 09:03:57 pm »

I've collected specimens since 2000 when they were little more affordable. I have Birds and Multicolors with the same matching control numbers which at the time I thought I paid way to much. In the beginning I used to say "well as an investmant I didn't do to bad because what I paid for both sets it was like buying the Multicolor set and getting the Bird set for free." Now  I can say the reverse "I bought a Bird set and I got a multicolor set for free."

With the help of Arthur I was able to finish a 1937 set and was also able to pick up a couple of extra 37's but with different prefixes here and there. But growing up with the 1954's I always loved the backs of these notes plus the great colors. So two things came to mind in 2001 when I was able to purchase a whole 1954 specimen set. One was the great notes I loved growing up but the main reason was owning 1 of only 12 sets. Not one in 1012 or a million and 12 but only 12 and is the prize piece of my whole collection ( well at least in my own mind!!! )

[attachment deleted by admin]

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 07:59:21 am »

Here is a better image of Denis' beautiful 1954 Modified Specimen Set.

{http://www.davgro.com/images/cpmf/Copy%20of%201954%20specimen.JPG}

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length