Author
Topic: Collectability of Changeovers opinions  (Read 4420 times)
Fever
« on: June 22, 2007, 01:13:32 pm »

Again, always looking to learn more.

I get the concept of insert or replacement notes. 

Changeover notes though....that's a different story. 

I've read the short little blurbs that briefly describe what a changeover note is but still don't get whether or not they carry any "collectability."  Perhaps someone can shed a little more light on  what exactly a changeover note is.

Does the market pay any premium to notes in confirmed changeover ranges?

The reason why I ask is that I recently found 3 $100 bills dated 2005 that are in the confirmed BKG changeover ranges.  Do these bills command more of a premium than regular circulation notes? 

Always looking to learn more... I'll keep googling but I've learned more fishing this site than hours wasted trying to google this stuff.  Your knowledge is appreciated.

I look forward to any replies.

Frank

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 01:21:37 pm »

Hi Frank!

That is a GREAT question!

Yes, Changeovers are collectible. In the Charlton Catalog it explains what changeovers are and also give pricing for them.

A Changeover is a point where there is a change (Either a Signature Change, Year Change, Paper type Change ect...)

Sometimes it can happen Mid-Prefix. A Perfect example is with the 2002 and 2006 $5 Notes. The last prefix used by BAI (Formerly BABN) for their $5 notes was AOF. They printed up to the serial number 3799999 in the 2002 (Non Security Stripe) $5 Notes. So it was also a Short-Run prefix.

Then in 2006 when the new $5 note debut they started with serial number AOF 3800000 and went up from there. So our changeover point was 3.800 million. This is also a very special changeover as it was a year change AND a note change (Upgraded Security Features).

Changeover's and short run-prefixes always carry a premium, some more then others. A good example of a higher premium changeover is the 2002 $5 HOH prefix. There was a year changeover from 2004 to 2005 mid-prefix as well.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:23:09 pm by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 09:39:33 pm »

I collect changeovers and I find some changeovers are harder to find them most replacements
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 10:26:11 pm »

Changeovers are collectable and becoming increasingly collectable in both the older and newer issues. Some of the newer changeovers, for instance the BKG changeovers or other more common ones, will not command much of a premium until several years pass.
Fever
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 04:52:24 pm »

Thanks again to everyone that replied. 

I think then that I will hold on to those BKG Changeover notes and see what comes of them in a few years.

Cheers and thanks again everyone.

Frank

Login with username, password and session length