Author
Topic: BMO, last of the banks to get old paper money, no more!  (Read 3569 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:57:55 pm »

Well awhile ago, I had a lot of tellers from the big 4 banks look for older banknotes for me with great success. Over the last few years, one by one banks changes their policies about recirculating older banknotes, first the Royal Bank changed their policy and had to send older banknotes back to the BOC, then Scotiabank soon followed, then TD and CIBC. The odd time and I mean rarely, Scotiabank sometimes let's me have the odd note that's in a teller's drawer, but rarely, I was lucky enough to get a 1969 $20 *EV note. But my main source was the Bank of Montreal, basically all the tellers would let me look over their mutilated and they would save older notes for me. Life was good as I got probably 1/3 of my CDN paper money collection from there. They would regularly get lots of older 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s, mostly 1954, 1970s multicolored series. Also got some 1937 series notes from there, countless AU/UNC notes, even complete UNC bundles of 1973 $1s, lots of nice 1975 $50s, and 100s, they even let me buy $1000 notes form them when they had them, they mostly got the 1954 and some 1988 series $1000s. But a lot of 1954 series and some 1967 $1s. There were a few times they would get large bundles of older money, i.e. all 1971 $10s or 1969, 1979 $20s or in some cases a whole estate worth of somebody's collection. There were a couple of really great scores over the years. Like the time I got a rare 1979 $20 BC-54aA replacement note in AU condition and the two 1971 L/B EET $10 notes. At the moment, I was about to score some series 1935 notes, mostly $1s and other lower denomination notes when BMO changed their cash handling system.

Basically to prevent robberies and other things, BMO limits how much a teller can have on hand for cash, this includes mutilated notes. They are moving to a system like the Royal Bank and TD, where the cash is dispensed from a machine behind the teller's wickets and everytime a teller receives money, they deposit the money into that machine, so this drastically limits how much cash they handle and store, sort of like 7-11 stores where everytime they get $20 or something, they drop it into a vault.  So they aren't allowed to store up money in their drawers or safe below their wicket. They just changed over this week, so this means the last remaining bank that held notes for me can't do it anymore due to their new system. So I think a lot of banknotes collectors hoping to find some notes from their local branches are screwed now. So getting these notes from the banks are a thing of the past. Was good while it lasted, but I'm SOL now. Too bad, but with the BOC demanding most banks to send their mutilated back, combined with the prevention of robbery by implementing a new restrictive cash on hand system, totally ruins it for the collector.
FogDevil
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

They are moving to a system like the Royal Bank and TD, where the cash is dispensed from a machine behind the teller's wickets and everytime a teller receives money, they deposit the money into that machine, so this drastically limits how much cash they handle and store, sort of like 7-11 stores where everytime they get $20 or something, they drop it into a vault.

One BMO branch in my hometown has been storing cash in a machine behind the wickets since around 1993.  It experienced robberies in past years (the most recent being in 2006).  They originally didn't dispense $2s, but since 1998 they haven't been dispensing $5s whatsoever.  Quite an inconvenience that customers are forced to request $5s over the counter, otherwise we could end up getting upwards of $9 in toonies and loonies (imagine if there were no $10s left in the branch!) - not to mention the smallest denominations stored in such machine are the all-time lower-demand $10s.  The lack of one small denomination (it's bad enough that some banks don't order $10s) in banks is reason enough I'd much rather stick with my neighbourhood Scotiabank while they still store cash at their wickets and I can request high-quality banknotes without having any stress whatsoever.

Maybe the machines were programmed that the zero remains in place when entering the amount or denominations requested, and if you press "5" once, it may register as $50 and not $5, perhaps?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:05:41 am by FogDevil »
FogDevil
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:49:02 pm »

Apologies for bumping, but I do have a few Q's...

1.  How many BMO branches have a dispenser behind the teller's counter?

2.  Do any of them not dispense $5 bills due to the majority of them in not so great quality?

3.  Is it possible that the Scotiabank may be on the verge of following this practice by the next decade?

I remember CIBC used to have secured cash dispensers on site back in the 1990s, maybe part of the 1980s.  They originally didn't dispense $100s, but $100s gained demand by 1991 and some branches stopped dispensing $2s, but more of them stopped dispensing $10s (the $100 was gaining momentum, whereas the $10 was likely starting to fall).  There were only a handful of CIBC branches back in the day that dispensed $10s, but that changed when the $2 bill was being replaced with the toonie.  It's likely that the CIBC branches were still permitted to distribute $2 bills until they most likely received a memo from the BoC stating that they had to start pulling any existing $2 bills from circulation in the spring of 1996.  By April or May of that year, most CIBC branches resumed ordering $10 bills on a regular basis and the machines dispensed the first $10s in nearly 5 years.  But that was apparently short-lived, when the CIBC was removing the secured cash dispensers by 1997, and very few branches in Canada have them now.  Lucky for me, I can choose whatever current denominations I want in whatever quality.  As of right now, it seems that Scotiabank and CIBC may be the only financial institutions that do not rely on secured cash dispensers.

4.  Maybe the Scotiabank and CIBC introduced a more secure way of preventing robberies, perhaps?

5.  Is that likely why Scotiabank doesn't use secured cash dispensers on site?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:50:50 pm by FogDevil »

Login with username, password and session length