Author
Topic: Journey Series Replacements - Truth's, Myth's and Misconceptions  (Read 19608 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?

My article is complete and available for download.

It talks about The Journey Series notes. Specifically the 2006 $5 Notes, how they are Printed, the different types of Replacement notes and the roles that they play. It has also been written from the point of view as a collector. This will help everyone relate what they see and how it fits into the big picture.

www3.telus.net/cc-comp/article/article.doc

I Hope this answers many common questions and educates many of the collectors who are new to the Journey Series. I welcome feedback and comments about the article and hopefully I can answer any remaining questions.

You can E-Mail me at:

Banknote@Telus.net

I would like to send out a very special thank you to Hudson, Chris and Brent for their hard work proof reading the article and providing valuable feedback. Thank You!!!  8)

Very Best Regards,
Cam
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:09:34 am by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:35:40 am »

Definitely a very interesting article and explains a lot of questions.
I do have 2 questions though.

AOM (0.480M - 0.481M) has been found and is waiting confirmation from more sources.

1) My understanding is that this range was expanded to .480-.482 so then .480-.481 would now be in a confirmed range. Is that correct or not?

2) Are the position numbers ALWAYS the same on an entire sheet or do they change? ???  Is there a reason they just don't go 1-45 and keep it simple?

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:38:38 am by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 12:04:06 pm »

Good questions.

1) Yes, there have been a recent change in the CBN ranges...This article was not updated with that info yet. I will update it when more is learned about the CBN ranges.

2) The Position numbers are ALWAYS the same for each grid position on the sheet. This will not change. BoC does not like simple...  ;) These are the combinations used. We must remember that there are OTHER combinations of position numbers for other denominations, so these are the numbers used for Upgraded Security $5 Notes printed by BAI.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:14 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.  Atleast that's another thing I now understand 8)

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 03:03:56 pm »

We must remember that there are OTHER combinations of position numbers for other denominations, so these are the numbers used for Upgraded Security $5 Notes printed by BAI.

BAI is using the same FP BP combinations regardless of denomination.  Sheet layouts are also now all in line with eachother, Skip 1000, 40 on with the sheared off mini ream as discovered with the $5s.

Just wanted to make that clear.
H :)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 03:33:25 pm »

Excellent,

That you very much for clearing this up. I will amend the article to include this information.

gammsarah
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:30:49 pm »

As a newbie, that article was very informative.  Thanks
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:20:31 am »

I am glad it was of good use.

It was designed to educate members of the community to help make more informed decisions regarding Replacement Notes.  :)

Jokered
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:01:29 pm »

Hello,

I read the article that I found fascinating and that helped me a lot to understand the phenomenon, thanks to the writer. But I still question myself about these "modern" not formerly identified replacement notes:

Why would I believe the people that say they have found these replacement note? Why would they believe me when I say I found one?  Based on the great quantity of replacement notes on ebay, is it possible that some are not?

Even if  there is trust in these people, what is going to happen when these brick searchers loose interest and stop searching? Will collectors loose interest to and the notes loose their values?

Just a few questions, do you have answers?

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 07:49:38 am »

Why would I believe the people that say they have found these replacement note? Why would they believe me when I say I found one?  Based on the great quantity of replacement notes on ebay, is it possible that some are not?

First of all, many brick searchers have been bricking for years and as for myself since the Bird Series. Like in any other field, people have to build trust, reliability, and a sense of confidence with the people they deal with. It is not uncommon for members of this site to send other members large amounts of cash or notes to view before purchasing without ever worrying about being taken.  You build trust and gain trust over time. It is still a small tighty knit community and bad news travels fast. 
As for replacements, the information I gather is reported, then collected, complied and possibly confirmed when a number of finds of the same range have been reported.  These finds can come from all over Canada from numerous brick searchers. Depending on whether the replacement notes are sheet replacements or snrs there is certain criteria that can be established.  If new finds are reported, the possibility of ranges being expanded is also possible. As for whether you trust what someone says is a matter of personal preference, but should you brick yourself, hopefully you will better understand how the process works. The fact is that there are many ranges of replacement notes and on occasion some notes said to be replacements on ebay are not,(whether intentional or by error), but I nor any brick searcher would be trying to sell a note that is NOT CONFIRMED. There is an up to date list of confirmed replacements available on this site and if your not sure you can always just post and ask. I think once you delve a little deeper into it you will find that there is a lot of information on this site that may make you better understand how, who and what goes into the process of finding a note and getting it confirmed.  The one thing I should point out as well is that not every insert you find will necessarily be confirmed.  As for myself and other brick searchers we have likely over time found notes that no other searcher has found and therefore will never be a confirmed replacement note.
Only my thoughts.....

Even if  there is trust in these people, what is going to happen when these brick searchers loose interest and stop searching? Will collectors loose interest to and the notes loose their values?

I think most brick searchers are addicted and as it was discussed before in detail, if your doing it for the money, forget it ...the costs are to high in most cases and can be a very time consuming venture.  I also think many searchers are collectors so in my opinion if I can slowly build my collection by trading, selling off duplicates and perhaps recouping some of my brick charges that is fine with me...
The other point is that once the Journey Series end who knows what will change. I think that people who collect replacements will always collect them and once they are no longer available then I would think people would be trying to fill in the gaps or holes in their collections. Sometimes it is easier to get the new notes when you can and hope for the best when getting notes already issued and no longer being printed.
Anyways only my opinion
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:16:57 pm by Paul Wallis »

Jokered
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 10:27:09 pm »

Hello Friedsquid

Yes I know how thrilling it can be to go through a brick and thanks a lot for that detailed answer.

But I am nostalic of the X's note and I just can't resolve myself to get into these new replacement notes that are all over the place as if printers went 50 years back in their printing process. There are so many how can they be so valuable?

Thanks again for your answer.

Jokered
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 06:35:25 am »

There are so many how can they be so valuable?

The one thing that many people still don't seem to grasp is that in many cases the range of a replacement can be large, but that is no indication of how many notes have actually been found and kept. The fact is that the other asterisk or "X" notes were easy to spot and in many cases where keep because of that reason alone.  Also, in many cases , quantities of the other replacement notes are much easier to find on Ebay, on dealers tables at coin shows, and even on the trading post than some of the newer Journey replacement notes.
As always, this is only my opinion and you should collect what you like and feel comfortable with...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 07:12:35 am by friedsquid »

Jokered
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 07:55:59 pm »

The fact is that the other asterisk or "X" notes were easy to spot and in many cases where keep because of that reason alone. 

Hello friedsquid,

I do not agree with you on this fact. The matter is that old X's or asterisk notes were solely used as replacment notes and were identified as such. I would add that they are formerly identified by theses caracteristics which makes them unmistakebly replacement notes. This is not the case for the journey series replacement notes. This is why they have much less interest to me... I have to rely on somebody else's opinion to know if they are replacement note and I don't really like this dependency.

But hey, apparently the market of bank notes does not agree with me. But will it last?

Again, only my opinion on the matter.

Jokered
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:09:11 pm »

a littel more info for you Jokered on replacements from the BoC

http://gwfedora.tripod.com/id15.html

Cheers

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:14:53 am »

I have to rely on somebody else's opinion to know if they are replacement note and I don't really like this dependency.
With all due respect Jokerid, the actual numbers found by brickers are not "opinions".  The ranges may resemble opinons, because we cannot get an actual confirmation from the BoC, however, they are backed up by countless hours of research, and mounds of data - which supports the claim.  Just as  importantly, the data does not contradict claims made (this is an easy acid test for false claims, when analysing the numbers and FP/BP combos).

Having a firm grasp on how they print the notes, based on brick reports, FP and BP numbers, end of sheet errors, and other printing process errors have given us more than enough reliable information on how the notes are printed, and how the sheets are layed out.

The only matter of opinion comes when determining the range size, and any opinion on this should be closely backed up with  substantial research, and also be reflective of the current findings.  Thus, the important of all virgin brick information.

With the standard matrix in place, for BABN and CBN, and the mini-reams outlined for BABN, the ranges of replacement notes are painfully clear.  But, it has taken years of bricking by many hard working (and money losing) people, who are devoted to the better interest of the hobby - by supplying actual brick data.

You may be interested in reading about this in greater depth - X-saviour wrote his paper shortly after mine, as he started bricking in Edmonton.
View:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/collectorsgallery/BlackBoxMystery-01.htm
and
http://www.members.shaw.ca/collectorsgallery/BlackBoxMystery-02.htm

Well,  I think it was in 1996 or so that they stopped using the X (1998, I don't remember??), so about 10 years have passed, and people are still absolutely intrigued by these notes.

One thing that is very important - it is true, a range may be 360,000, or 270,000 and so on...  depending on the ream size....
but how many were actually found, is another story.  That is what it will always boil down to.

And finally, I took that darn apostrophe out of "Myth's" and "Truth's"

Peace everyone.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:48:28 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length