Author
Topic: INITIAL IMPRESSIONS OF THE 20TH EDITION CHARLTON CATALOGUE  (Read 8786 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 04:10:02 am »

I agree about the pictures....

it is nice to admire other nice notes instead of the same notes every single year...

I would like to see nicer, better pictures.

Here is another thing that has been raised.... For lets say $35 or $40 would you people like to have a Color Catalog??? I mean we only get one book a year and I don't think ANY of my fellow collectors are that strapped for cash they can't shell out a little extra for a High Quality Color Catalog.

I mean why are we looking at Black and white pictures of notes? Many collectors actually have no idea what many of the notes even look like.... The older stuff, the closest many of us will come to the notes is the pictures in the book.

THIS IS A CALL OUT OT CHARLTON....

"Can we PLEASE start seeing MORE Pictures and also in Color???"  ???

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
m_samourai
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 01:57:04 pm »

I mean why are we looking at Black and white pictures of notes? Many collectors actually have no idea what many of the notes even look like.... The older stuff, the closest many of us will come to the notes is the pictures in the book.

[/b]

This is a good point as well.  It would make browsing the guide more pleasurable, and probably make us collectors fall in love with more notes and/or series.  That would be good for the dealers, wouldn't it? 

Were there ads in the front of the 2007 cat., or are they new revenue for Charlton?  They weren't in the 2006. I felt a bit like I was looking in the Yellow Pages as I looked at the cat. for the first time.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 05:08:41 pm »

Hello mons and dark lady,

We as collectors can demand a color ‘Coffee Table book’ version with no-prices; a color pictorial history of the Canadian Monetary system, each major issue would have a certain level of documentation outlining the significance of that issue. I could see chartered banks easily make up the lions share of it.

Otherwise, perhaps some very scholarly member(s) of dis forum cab consider taking on a project of publishing CPMS “Illustrated History of Canadian Paper Money” written from a collectors point of view.

I found a nice book it could model after; The Art of Money: The History and design of paper money currency from around the world by David Standish. Or similar to da BoC’s publication on our Banknotes.

My eyesight is getting bad so I’d be leaning to Large-text version. I have a feeling Fried squid would amused for a ‘Pop-up’ version. Raven may like a ‘Scratch-n-sniff’ version. “Smells like an old sofa PD.”

I need glasses mon!  8)
PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 05:14:30 pm »

I have a feeling Fried squid would amused for a ‘Pop-up’ version.

An interesting concept mon.  But as Cosmo Kramer would say, "A coffee table book that would turn into a coffee table" ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 11:05:48 pm »

I'm putting forward a few suggestions regarding possible changes in future editions. These are not criticisms, just suggestions for possible stylistic improvements.

(1) I find the use of only two letters as abbreviations for signatures on modern issues to be very hard on my brain, e.g., Go for Gordon, Ra for Rasminsky, La for Lawson, Bo for Bouey, etc. I feel that the abbreviations would "click" much faster if the first THREE letters were to be used, i.e., Gor for Gordon, Ras for Rasminsky, Law for Lawson, Bou for Bouey, etc. I believe this would make things easier on the eyes.

(2) I would suggest putting thin horizontal lines within the price tables in order to "partition" the different signatures for the various notes. The data for the various signatures would then be easier to home in on. I believe this would make things easier on the eyes.

(3) I would suggest that consideration be given to placing the entries for asterisk, replacement and test notes in a separate table below the regular note entries. I believe this would make things easier on the eyes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:09:38 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
m_samourai
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 12:00:43 am »

I like those suggestions Ottawa (especially number 1). 

Readability should be one of their first priorities.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 12:07:38 am »

I find the use of only two letters as abbreviations for signatures on modern issues to be very hard on my brain, e.g., Go for Gordon, Ra for Rasminsky, La for Lawson, Bo for Bouey,

This statement may seem funny to some but I really couldn't put my finger on it until I read this post.
I had the same problem when going through the cat. Are there more of us coming out of the woodwork with this same problem ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 12:19:24 am »

why abbreivate the names at all while adding color make the books a 1/4 inch bigger as well
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 12:21:13 am »

The names were abbreviated to allow for more room for the extra classes of UNC. I understand that next year will include a wider page size, at which time the abbreviations can probably be reverted back to what they were in the 19th edition.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length