Author
Topic: Pricing Information on Journey Replacements  (Read 2991 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« on: July 19, 2007, 03:35:43 pm »

There were some recommendations in a now closed topic thread that a section be created for pricing
information on Journey replacements.  If this is going to take place in the Insert & Replacements section
of the Forum (as suggested by BWJM), there are some important issues to consider.

There would need to be stringent guidelines to the posting of sale information.  Private sales in many cases
cannot be verified and can lead to price fixing and collusion in an effort to inflate the value of a note.

It would be very easy for me to say that I sold note "A" to Forum member "B" at a stated priced, and for
member "B" to corroborate that such a sale took place.  These two members could be working together to
establish a market price for the note in question.

In the same way, it is very easy for someone to say that only 14 of note "A" were reported to be found when
in fact that same brick searcher found well in excess of 100 of these notes and is trying to manipulate the
market to his benefit.

I worry about new forum members or guests that may view the pricing information in this section as gospel or
fact, and possibly be misled to the true value or scarcity of a Journey note.

Stock market investors have been burned for years by market makers who hype the value of a stock that they
hold a large block of in their own inventory.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:52:04 pm »

Or, we could avoid any kind of price-setting, -tracking, etc and not have this problem at all. Let buyers and sellers agree on a price that both are happy with.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length