Author
Topic: Any thoughts on the best source(s) for getting Unc. Euro banknotes?  (Read 9714 times)
m_samourai

I find myself interested in getting at least some of the euro notes.  Of course, I want them to be Unc., or Au.  Where's my best bet?  Also, do any of you collect RADAR's etc. in Euros? 
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:48 am »

UNC or AU your best best it to get on the inside of any high volume branch, or a place where there is alot of travelling customers.  It would be alot of hard work and time if attempting this from Canada.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
m_samourai
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 12:51:24 am »

Good advice Hudson. :)  I talked to someone today who is going to Austria soon, I'll get her to pick me up the ones I'm interested in.

blumax
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 02:08:53 pm »

Radars are so difficult to obtain as to be unrealistic to collect.  Euro banknotes have 11 digits, not counting the country prefix letter,  The final digit is a check digit stepping by nine for sequential notes (see another thread in this category).  With 10 digits, radars would occur every 10000 notes, where US and Canadian radars occur every 1000 notes.  If the check digit is included, I think the frequency is one per 900000 notes.

With respect to sources, unless you have access to one of the EU national banks, eBay or EU dealers are the best source.  Expect to pay a premium over the exchange rate, maybe US$2.00/euro.  This can be substantial for the higher values.  Try putting together a country set: 11 countries (I don't think Luxembourg, 'R', has issued banknotes), with more countries coming shortly, times 7 values, times 2 ECB President signatures.  Then there's the printer codes .....

blumax
m_samourai
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 02:17:32 am »

:)thanks blumax for the detailed advice about the numbering (i didn't know about the check digit).  boy, radars...forget-about-it.  that's too tough!

Login with username, password and session length