Author
Topic: A double graded note?  (Read 6421 times)
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:49:56 pm »

I just found this 50.00 devils face note for sale with a very unusual grading :o I don't remember ever seeing a note with 2 different grades before ;D Do any other members find this interesting or unique ???
DEVIL'S FACE 1954 $50 BC-34b

BEATTIE-COYNE

VF+ NOTE

This front of this note is EF+ while the back is VF
bwho9d
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:52:17 pm »

The back to be appears more soiled than the front? ???

Probably he means that the back is more soiled, and has more colour loss than the front.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:57:06 pm by Neon Zidane »
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:50:31 pm »

With coins it is well established that the obverse and reverse could have significantly different grades either due to mishandling or because of striking quirks. For example, Canadian George VI 50 Cents invariably have higher grade reverses than obverses because the reverse is "protected" from wear (because of its concave shape) whereas the obverse is not.

Similarly, paper money can look a lot different depending on what side you're looking at. For example, there could be a lot of folding and wallet soiling on one side whereas the other side would have been protected and could appear a grade or two higher.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:05:16 pm »

Had just the same scenario recently.Sold a 1935 $1.00 B to a forum member here.I graded the note VF on the back and a EF on the face.Nice clean note on the front,but it had more wear and noticeable creases on the back.
More wear and tare on one side can give you a double grade as Ottawa has stated.

BTW-The forum member was extremely pleased with the note,and stated it was much better than the scans.

schoqmcloi
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:07:21 pm »

You could grade the front, the back, the corners...

but still the note should be grade overall to not have any missunderstanding...

Serge
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:29:51 pm »

"Now with this note here, I call the front surface a clean about gem VF, the back surface a F- pressed and cleaned to a must-see VF+, the body of the note is a crisp AU, the top right corner is flawless G.UNC, the top left is spectacular EF with slight soiling, the bottom left is AU and the bottom right is amazing UNC with a single broken fibre. The serial number embossing is a choice VG with the digits almost imperceptibly popping right out at you! The signature embossing rates a prime EF with shadows like no tomorrow. Intaglio printing nearly rips your fingerprint off when you try to rub the note, garnering it a grade of choice superb UNC. Also, the top edge is considered a strong EF as it was bank stamped when still in the original bundle. Graded AU-56 EPQ by PMG! Cross-graded as EF-47 by (some other company). POSSIBLY a test note! This is the first and only such note seen by the auctioneer. The note overall demands a premium bid!"                              $75,000 - 100,000

[edit]Adjusted for RP's assertion about surface vs. body wear. And embossing.[/edit]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 11:30:02 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:41:35 pm »

To clarify:

Although I described the note as EF on the front,VF on the back,the purpose was to let the buyer know with out a doubt that the note was nicer on the face.Along with a detailed description I graded it twice so the buyer would have a firm grasp of what he'd receive.

It certainly was not about profit,as the note cost $180 due to inaccurate grading,I sold it for $50.00.Probably worth $160 or so.

Had that note gone to e-bay,where a buyer can not view the note,I would have assigned it a grade of VF with detailed description.

Posted by: BWJM  Posted on: Today at 02:29:51 PM 
Insert Quote 
"Now with this note here, I call the front a clean about gem VF, the back a F- pressed and cleaned to a must-see VF+, the top right corner is flawless G.UNC, the top left is spectacular EF with slight soiling, the bottom left is AU and the bottom right is amazing UNC with a single broken fibre. Also, the top edge is considered a strong EF as it was bank stamped when still in the original bundle. POSSIBLY a test note! This is the first and only such note seen by the auctioneer. The note overall demands a premium bid!"                              $75,000 - 100,000

Hahaha!! We see thru your convoluted grading system bub.You fail,and dare I say,with malice,to state anything about embossing,which could lower the over-all grade to VG.
Stick to the new Charlton grading system,or we'll? start a petition to have your salary at the CPMS lowered to the previous inadequate state it was.

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:44:37 pm »

The current grading system does not differentiate between body and surface wear and it likely never will because grading is already the Achilles Heel of many collectors without being complicated.  However, assigning an overall grade is merely a simple substitute for describing a note accurately, so if you take the time to describe a note, you're doing something better than just grading it.  Unfortunately, precise descriptions have the nasty habit of deterring buyers because every little thing you say about a note will cause you to lose prospective buyers.  This is why it is popular among sellers to slap a grade on a note rather than admit that it has pinholes or edge tears.  The extra time and effort needed to accurately describe a note instead of grading it is rewarded with lower returns.  C'est la vie.

I have 2 words for the above comments....here, here.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:47:42 pm by twoinvallarta »

Login with username, password and session length