Author
Topic: The Amero Debut  (Read 24159 times)
canada
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:34:40 pm »

I have close sources in Ottawa that tell me that the end of our Canadian currency is fast approaching.   Some say it will be replaced by the "Amero" in the next 3-5 years.   It will be simular to the Euro but instead include Canada, Mexico and the U.S into one single currency.  That means new notes will be issued.

How will this affect our CPM hobby?
Will our collections be worthless from a face value standpoint?
Will our collections be worth more?
How do we prepare for this from a collectors standpoint?  Did the old paper money from other E.U. nations appreciate after the introduction of the Euro?
ect.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:42:49 pm »

collector notes will always retain their value

Could I please get this in writing and notorized for my personal files please?

I will pay for the expresspot once it is completed ;D

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »

I have close sources in Ottawa that tell me that the end of our Canadian currency is fast approaching.   Some say it will be replaced by the "Amero" in the next 3-5 years.   It will be simular to the Euro but instead include Canada, Mexico and the U.S into one single currency.  That means new notes will be issued.

How do we prepare for this from a collectors standpoint?  Did the old paper money from other E.U. nations appreciate after the introduction of the Euro?
ect.

Call me skeptical, but I don't believe you.  Wasn't a thread about this already locked?
blumax
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:13:53 pm »

I see  no possibility that US currency will disappear.   That makes it hard to get an 'amero' authorized.

blumax
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 03:52:44 pm »

The merger between the countries is already happening. Just here to inform you that the Governments have already picked out a name for when the US and Canada join,  "U" "S" "EH"   ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 04:31:39 pm by Elwoodbluesca »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:00:37 pm »

I aggre with Rachelsprivate that our collecting currency will not go away. The notes we love will still be around and in just as many numbers.

It may hurt the value of it if all notes become non redeamable after a certain time. Similar to some of the chartered banks.

To sumarize, I have been hearing ideas like this for the past 10 years and nothing has ever happened. So im not getting worked up yet

KC's Canadian Currency
canada
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 11:31:28 pm »

I aggre with Rachelsprivate that our collecting currency will not go away. The notes we love will still be around and in just as many numbers.

It may hurt the value of it if all notes become non redeamable after a certain time. Similar to some of the chartered banks.

To sumarize, I have been hearing ideas like this for the past 10 years and nothing has ever happened. So im not getting worked up yet

I disagree that the value will go down if the notes are non-redeemable.  Look at the EU countries and even roman empire coins...they all went up.

With regards to the Amero, it's happening right now and the plans are being finalized.  That is what we're seeing right now.  It's actually not even up for debate anymore.  All the documents are out there. Considering you've heard about it in the last 10 years is not a bad considering the initial talks  first began in the 1940's (fact).

Myself, i'm considering reviewing all my notes and perhaps getting rid of the ones that aren't worth much and buy bullion or chinese stocks instead. ;D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:34:02 pm by canada »
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 09:12:07 am »

Thanks Canada

I had no idea that the process was soo far along. It is a very interesting subject and only time will tell how our hobby will be affected! Any ETA on when well be seeing the first one? Earlier I just mentioned 10 years because that was when I first started hearing about it. Before then I was in my teens and did not put much attention to the subject.

KC's Canadian Currency
moneycow
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 09:25:39 am »

I'm opposed already.  The name bugs me.  Why does it have to be some fabricated clone name.  Why not something simple and familiar, like, oh I don't know...the DOLLAR!!!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 06:58:06 pm »

With regards to the Amero, it's happening right now and the plans are being finalized

This doesn't surprise me as we've discussed this many times before.  One CPMF member (who has very reliable sources) gave a lot of compelling arguments to support this "Amero" policy.  I also talked to someone who should be in the know (from Ottawa) and he strongly hinted we've proceeded in that direction.  Look at how the US currency has been slightly colorized and in fact becoming more "Canadian like" (enlarged presidential engravings) with improved security features, etc.  The new US notes are almost nice to look at now.  It seems as if the two currencies have recently modified and are becoming more in step with each other.  I still find it hard to believe that the US is willing to sacrifice (scrap) its traditional "greenback" with this new "Amero" and that it will be on par in Mexico.  However, we've seen a dramatic increase in debit cards, and other technologies that have emerged, that have shaped and impact our day to day commerce.  The global village is indeed shrinking.

I'm opposed already
Yes-- the name is irritating but AS IF we (you and I) have any choice!  What will be done will be done (by the people who pull the strings).  To petition it would be like trying to hold back the use of debit cards.

I believe people will still collect despite the fact that a Canadian currency will no longer be printed.  It will likely change what we collect somewhat.  But I believe this has already happened since we now collect non-identifiable insert replacements, rotators, and repeaters.  The hobby is always evolving, and will likely continue to do so.

I don't see the connection between face value (eg: 1935 $25 note or 1954 *I/X $5.00) and  the note's true worth.  A note's face value is really insignificant (--well --maybe the 100's and 1000's will drop in value).  What's rare and sought after will always remain desirable to a collector.  The only difference is we'll be using a new currency to purchase our older notes (the Charlton's will need to be revised). 

It may hurt the value of it if all notes become non redeamable after a certain time. Similar to some of the chartered banks
I can't see how this currency will go the way of the chartered notes.   ??? Chartered note collecting takes a bit more research, and specializing, and thus is a lot like collecting errors-- you should know your stuff before you collect it.   BOC notes are easier to collect with a wider base of collectors.  Comparing the two is like comparing note collectors to coin collectors. 

When the currency is "put to rest" I believe the BV of notes will go up (like the Irish pound/shilling notes).  I believe that whenever something major happens to our currency (like the end of the $1 / $2 notes) than it draws more attention to an artisitic artefact which most people take for granted.  Thus... more collectors (limited supply) and more demand.   There will surely be a lot of hoarding of the last issue, a lot of filler kicking around, and a lot of newly "burned" newbies who've just bought a manufactured "major cutting" error from a 1986 $2 EGT sheet. (In other words not much different than today).  If the Journey is the last issue than all the original "gold leaf" varieties will likely shoot up (like the 54 Devil's face).

How a new currency will affect the  economy?  I have no idea really but Ireland hasn't been held back by the euro.  I doubt Canada will be adversely affected  but there could be adjustments and growing pains as there was with the early years  of the euro.

Perhaps Two-in-Vallarta has some input?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:13:03 pm by walktothewater »

actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:45:20 pm »

Can anyone back up this story about the Amero with hard evidence?  Or at least the name of someone in the government who gave you this information?

Otherwise, this is all just hearsay in my opinion.
CMNWEALTH
  • One Chromosome between Insane and Genious !
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:26:52 pm »

I'm interesed to see if the U.K will rollover for this new currency. Then again Bush shakes alot of hands. Hard to believe they have the time to conduct currency issues with Border issues on the table and Big industry leaders in all three countries wanting a piece of the pie. The Euro might have strength against alot of currencies but still meets resistance from many countries wanting to remain independent. You will soon see the same issues with the "Amero" if it exists. But then again I'm a small fish in a big tank !  :o
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 11:19:24 pm »

CNBC Covers the Amero

This subject is complicated in it's entirety,but rest assured,it's a fact,the Amero is coming,the fall of the usd was part and parcel of the plan to have Americans accept this new currency.If this subject was speculation,conspiracy theory,or even just rumour,the #1 business channel in America would have cut this speaker off with a"cut to commercial" into the anchor's ear piece,which has happened on numerous occasions when this channel has a guest that strays off the script.
The meetind just weeks ago in Montreal with the 3 Amigos further implemented the NAU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYl0mdzE-p0&mode=related&search=

hanmer
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 01:01:58 am »

I just cannot believe that the Americans are ready to give up the Greenback, colours and all. Maybe I'm naive, or a realist, or out to lunch but were going to be cashing in our dollars at a % and getting US$ in exchange if any monetary union happens. If it plays out that way, I'd rather be north of 49 (even in Sudbury).

:)

:)
CMNWEALTH
  • One Chromosome between Insane and Genious !
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 12:26:49 am »

After watching Gary T's money factory show, you can see why the greenback would be hard to let go ! That's impressive manufacturing, good luck counterfeiter's.

Login with username, password and session length