Author
Topic: Note on Charlton 16th Ed., Pg. 228 about BC-43  (Read 7032 times)
CJ_Sidewall
« on: May 21, 2004, 02:12:02 am »

"NOTE:  Lower grade notes are not collectable and command no premium."

Just wondering why they would specifically make this point for BC-43 and not any of the other Canadian banknote.  If I ever came across a BC-43 in circulation or got one from a bank, I'd consider it a "collectable".

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 02:54:52 am »

If I recall correctly, a dealer mentioned to me not too long ago that someone in the Ottawa region apparently has tons of these notes and can barely give them away.

Maybe it's been this way for a while.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 02:15:12 pm »

In my opinion, none of the 1954 m.p. $100s are worth collecting in lower grades. Still today after 50 years these lower grade 100s are still worth 100. If i got one by chance in change i would just spend it.  
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 03:58:53 pm »

Even the 1937 $100 notes in lower grades (other than Osborne Towers) do not get much over face on e-bay.

johnstop
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 04:15:12 pm »

This is kind of interesting when you consider it, because eventually these lower grade notes will be discarded/destroyed by the bank/deteriorate on their own, making them ultimately scarcer and more valuable. Although this might take longer than we will be collectors.

Certainly most people (non-collectors) would likely respond favourably to receiving a 1937/1954 $100, and have an impulse to save it (how many non-collectors have shown you an essentially valueless 1954 $1 in VG condition), speaking on a certain level of their collectability, and yet as collectors, they are so available, we are disinterested.

CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 04:42:31 am »

If anyone has any 1937, 1954 or even 1975 $100 bills that they are not going to collect and are planning to spend them at face value, I'd be more than happy to buy them off you.
spanking_the_money
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 04:22:39 pm »

I think the Charlton catalogue erred in using the words "not collectible".  Anything and everything is certainly collectible.  A note doesn't have to be worth more than face value, or even have any value at all, to be of interest to someone.  The catalogue editors should just say that the lower-grade $100 notes do not command a premium; telling people what is collectible is overstepping their powers.

The demand for early $50 and $100 notes is soft because these denominations did not circulate widely in their time.  But the same could be said of the 1924 Dominion of Canada $5 notes, and look what they are "worth".  Even old high-denomination chartered notes are still fighting for respectibility.  People are really going after old $20s these days, so when will interest turn to fifties and hundreds?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 04:24:17 pm »

I've got 160 1975 $100 notes available from a consignor.  Make a reasonable offer and you can have as many as you want.  Prefixes are mostly all JA/JC/AJA/AJG.  They're in circulated condition.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length