Author
Topic: RADAR: Charlton lumping in 3 digit with 4 digit is just plain wrong  (Read 6809 times)
m_samourai

Anyone else agree with this?  I find 3 digit radars can have an allure for me, while I've never seen a 4 digit that I thought was striking looking.  I think 3 digits should be worth more that 4.
bwho9d
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:55:01 pm »

Well, there is a very large chance that there will be bricks in which the first 4 digits will have 2 matching digits.

I have to agree with you that the fact Charlton is very lazy. It would kill them to put some color images.  :-\
m_samourai
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 01:37:03 am »

Nope, I disagree.  3- and 4-digit radars have about the same occurrence (scarcity) and there does not appear to be an appreciable difference in market value between them.

I'm not basing my opinion on scarcity, but on aesthetic appeal, hence desirability.  I think there are many more eye catching combinations in 3 digit radars than  4's.  I guess the market does not agree with me. 
hanmer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 11:55:39 am »

Unless the number is interesting, or I don't have one of those, I try to buy 2 or 3 digits only. Colour catalogue would be great! Would make the book nice enough to be coffee table book (may or may not want to advertise that). I'd rather pay 20 for it though.

:)

:)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:46:13 pm »

I have to agree with you that the fact Charlton is very lazy. It would kill them to put some color images.  :-\

Has it ever occurred to anyone that there are laws against colour reproduction of banknotes? If the Charlton Press had the balls to issue the 21st edition in full colour, they would be shut down before the first draft of the 22nd edition was sent to the editor. Where would we all be then? Sitting at a coin club meeting trying to surgically remove our feet from the deepest recesses of our mouths.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:20:05 am »

So long as the images are one sided and less than 2/3s of the actual size, colour isn't the problem. I suspect the real issue is that they have this huge collection of B&W scans. They'd have to rescan all the notes and since they don't have access to most of them anymore, it's a problem.

We started trying to collect colour images of all the notes on the main site to try to address this, but the task is huge. Maybe if the forum members got organized, we could help them out.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:23:41 pm »

Question is, which is the MOST appealing?

[quote]d)  1164611[/quote]

This one stood out right away

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
bwho9d
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 07:04:59 pm »

So long as the images are one sided and less than 2/3s of the actual size, colour isn't the problem. I suspect the real issue is that they have this huge collection of B&W scans. They'd have to rescan all the notes and since they don't have access to most of them anymore, it's a problem.

We started trying to collect colour images of all the notes on the main site to try to address this, but the task is huge. Maybe if the forum members got organized, we could help them out.

I think they're just frugal and want to save money v.s. using color ink. But then It'd cost frugal people like me more.  :-\
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 01:40:42 pm »

I would pay for a color edition (And 99% of collectors I think feel the same way). When people are spending rather large amount of money into this hobby...What is an extra $30... REALLY!!!  ???

As for the forum members helping out. i think that is a GREAT idea. To have a community effort to make this happen would bring even more pride to the Charlton Catalogs.

But I think many also feel... If we go to all that work to get all the pictures would they even bother or are they serious about making this happen? People do not want to waste their time... Results need to happen for the time and effort invested to make it happen.  :-\

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 11:36:38 pm »

Myself I try and collect 3 digit radars over the 4 digit ones, just for the fact they simply appear more appealing than most 4 Digits. The reason I have 4 Digits are just for fillers really except One...

I agree X-mon, da only exceptional 4 digit radar of significant value is dat ascending decending serial number anyway. I would like da colored book too but still lean towards da LARGE PRINT version, Raven still would like da Scratch'n sniff coffee table book, and Calamari may make like da Pop-up book special edition. Neon Z may need a version with a preamble explaining that Brick searching as an essential servcie to significant others who work at the bank. ;)

PD

PS I like da 1644461. or better yet 1466641
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 11:50:50 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
AL-Bob
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:32:28 am »

Some four digit radars are appealing to me. How about:

2340432 or 9012109, 1357531, 1984891 (birthyear radar!), not to mention the ladder-radars which are four digit radars too.

I think any number could have a different appeal to different collectors.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com

Login with username, password and session length