Author
Topic: eBay sellers sure know how to advertise!  (Read 17217 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: September 09, 2007, 08:58:02 pm »

Just saw this description for a note on EBAY
The notes would be listed as GEM except that they both have the same few creases.

Is that like saying ALM8888238 would be listed as a solid except for the 2 and 3
and RC9000067 would be listed as a million note if the 6 and 7 were zeroes.

How stupid do they really think buyers are ???
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:05:46 pm by BWJM »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
CMNWEALTH
  • One Chromosome between Insane and Genious !
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:47:57 pm »

I've just seen that item mentioned above.

"Still beautiful notes however"

- however I can't seem to find my chequebook ?
see323
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:58:46 am »

It's creative advertising. It can sometimes be quite misleading especially if we do not read it carefully. In some public auction house, if you look at the auction catalogue, you sometimes find the description - " A pinhole, a light bend otherwise gem uncirculated ". If someone read and register the last two words, they think they are bidding for a gem.

When putting down those words in ebay, always spell the truth. It would save a lot of problem later which greatly affect the seller's rating and reputation.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:00:27 am by see323 »

WINS#665

Singapore Numismatics Association (SNA) Life Membership L-161
bwho9d
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:19:11 pm »

Yeah, check out this mislead seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANADA-TWIN-One-Dollar-Notes-same-Serials-for-99ct_W0QQitemZ200150226639QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3425QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here we have 2 very attractive Crisp and Uncirculated One Dollar Notes from Canada  with the SAME SERIAL NUMBERS! They must be Twins!! A remarkable find...............or what? ... no tears or pinholes.....see scan.....These notes from Commonwealth countries are becoming increasingly scarce and have proven to be a good investment as well. No reserve and bidding starts with 99 cents.... The postage is just $1 within Australia. I am prepared to send them anywhere in the world. Enjoy the bidding. Check my other listings, as I have lots of items on offer, and maybe you can combine postage for multiple items. That way you save money.................

Take a look at the picture...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:22:01 pm by Neon Zidane »
see323
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:38:33 pm »

That's a very bad example of mispresentation.  :o

WINS#665

Singapore Numismatics Association (SNA) Life Membership L-161
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 04:06:18 am »

Yes that is very poor isnt it. And all bull aside he will probably snag a Grandma or someones wife or significant other that does not know enough, that is buying the collector in there family a christmas present or gift as such. You see it over and over and over.

I steped in one time and contacted the high bidder in a similar case to inform the ebayer that what he was about to win was NOT what the auction was claiming it to be!! The buyer then questioned the seller saying that so and so said that it was not what you say it is. AND THEN I was the bad guy and get booted off ebay. Where do you draw the line. I guess sit back, watch gramma get burnt? Maybe all of us forum members are a  s o f t  breed?  LOL   LOL   LOL

Would you others have steped in or not?

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 04:12:08 am by bugsy »

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 06:31:19 am »

I have stepped in more than once. The "gold flag" and "gold flag error" really got me. Some sellers got over $100 U.S. each and one even sold for $152.00!! The guide that Brent wrote seemed to slow the whole thing down.
   Another one was the hand cut "cutting errors", it used to be really bad before but there are not that many now.

I remember the scammers and and will not buy from them EVER, it's so bad that the other day one of these scammers made a mistake and listed four 1954 $10 notes for $3.50 each and $3.00 shipping but I did not buy, I thought of taking advantage of him but thought my notes would have gotten lost in the mail.

Gary_T
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 07:48:17 pm »

I recently bid on a radar bill simply because I had another that matched it. It was described as an uncirculated mint note, so what the heck I bid on it.
Well only 13 bucks for a $10 radar... How could I go wrong.
When I got the note it had a clearly visible 3/4 inch crease that I could see 5 feet away.  I contacted the seller before giving a negative feedback and this was the response

I don't agree, but I will not argue with you, if you send it back to me I will give you a total refund. I am finished with eBay, people are just nuts.

I guess it was nice that I was offered a full refund but "DID I JUST GET INSULTED" ???

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 11:21:46 pm »

Were you really expecting an uncirculated $10 radar for $13?

It has happened before. 8)

bwho9d
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 01:11:54 am »

Were you really expecting an uncirculated $10 radar for $13?

On eBay, things look cheap, but the excessive shipping rates will blow ya mind off.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 09:53:14 am »

You are an idiot, the bill was taken from a bundle of new bills, it was never ever in circulation. Because of idiots like you I am finished with eBay.

Just got another email for the ebay seller.
Boy I'm starting to feel abused here :'(

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 01:57:46 pm »

Obviously it's not worth the trouble to send the note back, since the cost of postage and who knows if they admit to getting it is pointless, so it goes to my daughter who can keep it among her notes that she has been collecting.
The point of this is that the crease in the note is obvious and definitely noticeable without have to search for it. I realize that Ebay is usually not the place to be buying high end notes UNLESS you know who you are dealing with and have had previous dealings with that seller. From what I have seen recently, radars and rotators (unless unique) have not been getting that much, so to expect a deal is not that far fetched at this time I believe.  Aside from that, I still think a seller should respond in a business like matter and not jump to conclusions because of their past experiences with other buyers. (Even if I am a nut) ;D

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 02:58:01 pm »

Just got another email for the ebay seller.
Boy I'm starting to feel abused here :'(
Sounds like the charming gent I dealt with at Gatewest Coins a couple years ago.

Gatewest often uses "sample" images of notes rather than the note you are actually getting.  Which is fine with me, as long as the note I get is the same grade as the sample.  The note I bought was described as "UNC", but when I got it there were several prominent folds and it was so badly centred that part of the design was cut off.

I saw no reason why I should have to pay the shipping to return the note to them, plus lose the shipping fee I paid when I ordered the note, so I expected them to pay the shipping since they sent me a note that didn't grade UNC.

The ultimate response from Gatewest was "we don't like to be harrassed by idiots."  The item in question was only $25-$30.  I spend several thousand dollars per year on my collection, so you can rest assured that this "idiot" won't make the mistake of buying from Gatewest again.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 11:10:23 pm »

So now we know what to call Punkys' ladders ???
There is a slew of ladder varieties on EBAY now.. like the
1213121~BANK OF CANADA~1954~EF~$2 "RADAR"~MIX LADDER
"1223221" LADDER radar note 2001 BANK OF CANADA $10
"1232323" Rare repeating ladder 2005 AOH prefix.

d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 07:27:48 pm »

Check out this description of a U.S. $1,000 bill. The guy basically wrote a mini novel about how he got the bill and the story behind it. Maybe he thinks this will make the bill more valuable if it has a long story behind it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNCIRCULATED-SERIES-1934A-NEW-YORK-1-000-00-NOTE-N-R_W0QQitemZ250175857227QQihZ015QQcategoryZ40029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Login with username, password and session length