Author
Topic: Bank of Canada Annual Report  (Read 5216 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: May 27, 2004, 02:29:40 am »

The Bank of Canada Annual report for 2003 is available on-line at http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/annual/2003/bankreport_2003.pdf  

The report talks at length about the plans for release of the three high denomination Jouney notes in 2004.  

It does talk about the problem of counterfeiting in the $10 denomination, and specifically says that the security features of these notes are easier to detect in less worn notes, and that there is a newer policy to take worn notes out of circulation sooner.

I see no mention of plans to redesign or add new security features to the $10 journey notes.

I'm beginning to wonder if we have created our own rumour on this message board based upon unsubstantiated anecdotal references.

jonathan
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 01:09:59 pm »

As far as I know, the BoC will indeed be releasing revised $10 bills with anti-counterfeiting features.  I read Michael's post and it said that Mr. Jenkins said that they will be issuing the new revised $10 bills later this summer.

You can check in the "Meeting with Paul Jenkins" section in the "Journey Notes" column of the forum.

And that's my sawbuck's worth.

Later, Jonathan
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 02:19:39 pm »

That seems pretty anecdotal to me when there seems to be no collaborating evidence anywhere to confirm this.

If this assumption was based upon a conversation between Coinsplus and Mr. Jenkins, perhaps what was said was that the bank is considering such a move.  The bank is not going to change the features of a banknote without extensive public education.  The bank wants to promote the security of our currency, not destabilize it by altering the notes without preparing the public beforehand.

I have emailed the Bank Note Communication and Compliance Team at the Bank of Canada to ask for clarification.

Dear Bank Note Communication and Compliance Team,

There  has  been  some  suggestion  /  rumours  amongst my bank note collecting  friends  and colleagues that a new Journey $10 note with   additional security features will be issued soon.

Is there any validity to this suggestion?

I could find no mention of a reworked $10 note on the Bank of Canada web  site,  nor in the 2003 annual report.  I did see mention in the annual  report  a comment that the security features on the $10 note
are  harder to detect on heavily circulated notes, and that the bank was  developing a policy for accelerated withdrawal from circulation of worn notes.

Your comments will be welcomed.

Thank you,

Michael Zigler
Canadian Paper Money Society member #316

eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 01:21:26 pm »

Here is the response that I received by e-mail this morning:

Dear Mr. Zigler,

This is in response to your e-mail in which you inquired about the Canadian Journey $10 bank notes.

As you already know, the Bank of Canada started issuing the Canadian Journey series with the $10 on 17 January 2001, followed by the $5 on 27 March 2002, and the $100 on 17 March 2004.

Right now, the Bank's focus is on issuing the new $20 and $50 bills, but we are committed to developing the most secure notes in all denominations and we monitor all notes on a regular basis.

We expect to issue the Canadian Journey $20 and $50 notes by the end of this year. For security reasons, I cannot give further details about notes that have not yet been issued.

I thank you for your interest in Canadian bank notes.

Regards,

Sylvie Dionne
Bank Note Communication and Compliance Team
Bank of Canada
1-888-513-8212
www.bankofcanada.ca

jonathan
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 08:42:23 pm »

I guess we shall not keep our hopes up for a "revised" $10 note very soon.

I predict that pretty soon, we will indeed see new $10 prefixes with the new Jenkins/Dodge combo.  The FEN's reported in the past few weeks are in the low 4-Million range, so we should definitely see a signature changeover in the FEN's (or BEK's) fairly soon.  I also predict that the next new $10's will remain the same with the same security features as on the new $5's (which have recently been reported with the new Jenkins/Dodge combo).

So, I predict that our $10's are currently in process, with our original security features, or with some high-tech features as on the new $100's.

I will be touching base with the forum as much as I can, so I will be looking forward to the release of the next FE* or BE* prefix, hopefully soon!

Later, Jonathan

Login with username, password and session length