Author
Topic: Reputable online stores  (Read 11355 times)
Moneygood
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:37:45 pm »

I much prefer to buy in person but sometimes someone has something you really want. Can anyone recomend some Canadian based online stores or stores with websites? Thanks in advance.
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:53:19 pm »

bwho9d
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:59:52 am »

Being a cheap, poor, and frugal guy, here are some places I visit:

http://nwcoin.com (usually slightly below cat. value)
http://www.colonialacres.com/ (checkout the "Blowout" section. Below cat. pries)
http://auctions.jandm.com (auctions, sometimes cheap)
http://give-a-buck.com
[edit]Site detail removed. - N.Z.[/edit]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 09:47:42 pm by Neon Zidane »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:30:30 pm »

I owe you something for putting the best numismatic website ever created on the bottom of the list?? 

What I think is really funny is that I actually bought something from you and didn't even know it was your website 8) 8)
FRIEDSQUID

And by the way, I was very happy with it. Thank you! ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 01:33:27 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:41:15 pm »

There are not too many sellers who have their own online web sites in comparison with the number of people who sell online on eBay. With few if any exceptions, sellers who have their own online web sites also sell on eBay, which makes good business sense. There are pros and cons to doing business either way for both buyers and sellers.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 09:50:08 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:25:27 pm »

Due to the fact I'm new to this hobby I was not awair of some of the above mentioned stores. I checked them out and all look very good! It will keep me exploring for some time tonight!!

Have any of you ever bought from or know of gatewest coin in Winnipeg? I was just looking around on there site and they seem to have a lot of inventory.

http://www.gatewestcoin.com/index.html

If anyone has purchased from or know them let me know how it was... Thanks a bunch 8) 8) 8)

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
50monarch
  • Every note gets me one step closer to Cayman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:30:36 pm »

I have purchased coins and banknotes from gatewest coin and found them very professional.  I was happy with the product that I received.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 11:07:23 pm »

Thanks for your reply! Have you ever purchased any supplies such as note or coin sleeves? I was wondering on the quality of them? I thought there price was very competitive with other dealers. Thanks again Monarch 8) 8) 8)

Jeff

bwho9d
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:00:28 am »

Have you ever purchased any supplies such as note or coin sleeves?

I highly doubt they are Mylar. If they were Mylar, it wouldn't be that cheap. These are those popular sleeves that many dealers sell and use. They are like the Mylar ones that Brent sells, same shape, just thinner and made with some other plastic.

I purchased some from some local dealers. A pack of 100 had a shrink wrap around it saying "Medium Bill Holders" and a picture of a 1937 $5 and larger ones had "Large Bill Holders" with a picture of a DoC $1.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 12:42:31 am »

Say Neon aren't you gonna sell mylar sleeves too, I recalled that you were thinking of it. If you are, put me in for 100 pieces for my keep forever notes.
I could pick up since you live close by.

Dei Gratia

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
bwho9d
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 12:45:24 am »

Say Neon aren't you gonna sell mylar sleeves too, I recalled that you were thinking of it. If you are, put me in for 100 pieces for my keep forever notes.
I could pick up since you live close by.

Dei Gratia

PD

It's simmering in my mind now. I need to calculate some shipping rates before selling it. Anyways, I'll put you up for 100. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for reminding me. :D
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 08:20:52 am »

I had a good experience recently with sellitstore...
http://www.sellitstore.com/mylar.htm
You can even request a free one by sending them a SASE.

After sending this site an email re: their mylar holders, I received 5(Five) free samples, which included three different sizes. Assuming they are mylar as advertised, they seem to be just as good as any other mylar holders that I have purchased in the past.
I would suggest giving them a try before assuming the worse.
And by the way, I didn't even have to supply a SASE.  They paid for the shipping.

And what was really neat.....The front and back of the envelope had 29, that's right twenty nine  postage stamps. And all of the ones on the back weren't even cancelled. ;D

FRIEDSQUID

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 08:33:15 am »

I purchased some from some local dealers. A pack of 100 had a shrink wrap around it saying "Medium Bill Holders" and a picture of a 1937 $5 and larger ones had "Large Bill Holders" with a picture of a DoC $1.

I could be wrong, but I have purchased the exact holders you appear to be speaking about with the same packaging and the corners are rounded and definitely thicker than the mylar ones.  I used these to put my mylar ones in just to keep the note more protected when handling since they give a little more rigid feel as opposed to just being in the mylar ones.  I won't mention the company I got them from (you can email me for the name if you wish) but I was told that they were NOT mylar so I assume that is why they are cheap in cost.

Bottom line is... would you put a note worth a few hundred dollars in a cheaper holder to save a few pennies.  Personally not worth taking that risk.  I'm not a gambler 8)
They are perfect for sending notes through the mail or keeping your low end Journey radars/repeaters in... but the devils always need a proper home 8)

FRIEDSQUID

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 01:28:25 pm »

I currently have all my notes in the thicker rounded corner sleeves. These are the ones that are cheaper and are not good for your notes if that is what I was getting from the above posts. How long do they have to be in there before dammging the note? I have never seen the good mylar sleeves that you all are talking about. What is the average price you all have been paying? Does anyone have a extra 4-5 I can buy to see what they are all about?  thanks again

Jeff[/u]

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 01:39:29 pm »

Does anyone have a extra 4-5 I can buy to see what they are all about?
Why not just email the website and they will send you atleast 1 for free so you can see the difference.

Login with username, password and session length