Author
Topic: Reputable online stores  (Read 11489 times)
bwho9d
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 01:55:57 pm »

I had a good experience recently with sellitstore...
http://www.sellitstore.com/mylar.htm

Once I am starting to sell sleeves, I'll still stick to Brent's supplier (Denlys of Boston) because I know what their sleeves look like and forum members all seem happy with it. I am not taking risks with Sellitstore because I don't want to get some cheaper variety of Mylar sleeves. The sample they sent me of the large sleeve was horrible. It was very thin.

Bottom line is... would you put a note worth a few hundred dollars in a cheaper holder to save a few pennies.  Personally not worth taking that risk.  I'm not a gambler 8)
They are perfect for sending notes through the mail or keeping your low end Journey radars/repeaters in... but the devils always need a proper home 8)

I bought them from Sears Coin and Stamp in Burnaby, BC. It was very close to me. they claimed Mylar is hard can scratch and are not prefect for coin storage. They also claimed their generic  "Medium Bill Holders" are PVC and acid-free.

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 02:34:50 pm »

Advice to all: Avoid round-corner holders at all costs. If the note shifts horizontally and a corner is exposed, then bumps against something, your gem unc. instantly becomes something of a lesser grade. I don't take the chance.
bwho9d
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 02:44:32 pm »

Advice to all: Avoid round-corner holders at all costs. If the note shifts horizontally and a corner is exposed, then bumps against something, your gem unc. instantly becomes something of a lesser grade. I don't take the chance.

Nah. The ones Brent sells have a border of glue thick enough to prevent a Bank of Canada note from exposing its corners.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 05:03:52 pm »

Having purchased the large mylar sleeves from both Brent and sellitstore, I can say that they are exactly the same.  Mylars are supposed to be thin.

I would agree with this statement. I have purchased the mylar sleeves from Brent and compared them to the samples received from the sellitstore and I truly believe that they are identical.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

Yes from what I was just told is that the mylar sleeves are very thin and will stack without getting all crooked compared to the thicker rounded corner ridgid sleeves.

Next question: Have any of you seen any sleeves for the uncut sheets around lately??? I have heard a few people talk about them in the past but have not seen any for a few years??? 5by8 and 4by10

How close is someone to making another order for mylar sleeves?? (Brent is he the guy) or are some of you others have orders floating around? Thanks 8)

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 05:16:19 pm »

Other individuals have expressed an interest in doing this, so I have decided to step aside.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 05:20:41 pm »

Sorry to hear that Brent, everyone I talked to was more then happy with your prices and quality sleeves. If you so decide to order again in the near future please let me know... Thanks very much:

Jeff

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 05:21:05 pm »

Other individuals have expressed an interest in doing this, so I have decided to step aside.

But will they work for FREE like you did ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
bwho9d
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 06:01:07 pm »

Having purchased the large mylar sleeves from both Brent and sellitstore, I can say that they are exactly the same.  Mylars are supposed to be thin.

*gasp* Really?? :o I took a picture of each of these sleeves. The one on the top is Brent's sleeve. The one on the bottom was the one Sellitstore sent me. Or did they give me the wrong sample?

Plus, Denlys accepts various different methods of payment such as Paypal or credit cards. Beats the no Paypal or credit card that Sellitstore has.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 06:38:02 pm by Neon Zidane »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 06:05:23 pm »

The one on the top is NOT the Mylar sleeve I sent you. The Mylar I sent you appears to be identical to the one on the bottom, although smaller.

I sent you several sleeves, one of which was a Mylar, and one of which appears to be the one on the top. So, I did send you that one, but it's not the Mylar that I also sent you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 06:07:50 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
bwho9d
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 06:36:40 pm »

The one on the top is NOT the Mylar sleeve I sent you. The Mylar I sent you appears to be identical to the one on the bottom, although smaller.

I sent you several sleeves, one of which was a Mylar, and one of which appears to be the one on the top. So, I did send you that one, but it's not the Mylar that I also sent you.

Someone gave the one above to me and told me he got it from you.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 06:46:39 pm »

Someone gave the one above to me and told me he got it from you.
That may be the case - As a general rule, I do not ship notes in Mylar sleeves unless they have labels on that I cannot remove. I use other non-Mylar sleeves that I have lying around when shipping notes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 02:36:12 pm »

I must caution, though, that the smaller ones may not be tall enough to hold 1935 and 1937 Bank of Canada notes.  Well, UNTRIMMED older series notes, that is.

I put the note in a mylar sleeve and then inside one of the old sleeves because they do JUST fit.

Have any of you ever bought from or know of gatewest coin in Winnipeg? I was just looking around on there site and they seem to have a lot of inventory.

Speaking of sleeves and online stores, I won some DF notes from Gatewest and they wrote numbers, "Devil's face," and other codes/symbols all over the entire note holder.  I had to throw the holders out because you couldn't really see the bill for the graffiti!

When I questioned them the guy said it was for inventory purposes.  I've never known a store to use large black thick magic marker over an entire note holder for inventory purposes (most considerate sellers will use a sticker on the holder).  His reasoning was that I paid for the notes -- not the holders-- and told me off.  He also stated that as a "power seller" with 1000's of sales, I was first petty whiner to complain about a note holder.

When I tried to pay for another item (yes-- previous notes were NOT marked up like that, and I had won a bid before I saw the DF's) he became abusive on the phone.   It was the worse experience I've ever had with a dealer.  I discovered he had the highest negative feedback record on eBay and it wasn't long after that he departed eBay and went on his own.  I know of other collectors who avoid him.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:38:06 pm by walktothewater »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 01:49:56 am »

Hi gang -  on the subject-

I have a HUGE amount of Mylar sleeves for sale. They are from prior orders from Brent. They are all "used" -- they had a radar note placed inside, sat in an SD box, and then had the radar note removed after a few months, and now are empty.

I mean probably about 400-500 of these things.

*I didn't sell the radars..... I just had to re-package some stuff, to conserve space.

Anyone wishing to buy some of these off me, I would prefer to not lose an arm and a leg on them, but I have them available.

Contact me at  hab692 (at) mail.usask.ca

Hope everyone is doing well.   I have been super busy for a month straight at least.

Later!

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2007, 02:26:09 am »

Hi Hudson;

I sent you a email...

Jeff

Login with username, password and session length