Author
Topic: Krause Catalogue  (Read 4747 times)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:05:30 pm »

I want to buy a price guide for worl banknotes. Krause seams to be the more popular choice but are there any of you prefering other catalogues?

Also the Krause World Paper Money has the "Specialized" and "General". Which one should I get?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

KC's Canadian Currency
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:04:44 am »

As a general catalogue Krause is the standard.  If, however, you are specializing in a particular country, you should get a specific catalogue for that country....  for example I would not want to rely on Krause to manage my Canadian collection...  there is not enough detail at all regarding changeovers, inserts, plate number varieties etc.  I imagine that collectors of Australian note, for example, would feel the same way about Krause.  There are countries in Krause that do indeed receive very detailed review - the BCEO countries (West African States) are an example, and if you need info on notes from Sri Lanka, Mauritania and Falkland Islands (for example) - this may be your best resource.

Krause actually comes in three volumes.  Vol I is the specialized issues, Vol II is General issues up to 1961, and volume III is 1961 to date.  Volume III is updated annually I believe, and I just bought the 13th edition at the show this past weekend.

Login with username, password and session length