Author
Topic: Insert notes and mini reams  (Read 4803 times)
rachelsprivates
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:25:16 am »

I must raise an issue of concern regarding insert note ranges that coincide with mini ream ranges.  I have already written a report about mini ream ranges and their distributions.  It was put online and the URL was posted at this forum previously:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=5425.0

With the latest information about insert ranges being made available, I see we have a problem that is not being corrected.  That problem is the unfortunate habit of drawing a 40,000-note perimeter around any note that is deemed to be a sheet insert.  When an insert has the following position numbers, it is NOT a regular note printed on a sheet 40/on:

70/70
96/54
85/90
68/63
74/56

A note with these position numbers was printed on a 5/on strip separately, meaning the ream size is 5,000 notes, not 40,000.  Thus when a sheet insert is found, and that insert has one of the five FP/BP pairs listed above, the insert range cannot be greater than 5,000.  We cannot just assume that notes in the 7 closest mini reams are inserts too, thus arbitrarily adding 35,000 notes to the insert range.  We need confirmed inserts from every 5,000-note mini ream to be able to draw a 40,000-note contour.

Until this problem is addressed and a solution is proposed, I would be very cautious about buying insert notes that coincide with known mini ream ranges unless those inserts come from a known brick researcher who can validate their claim to have discovered the note being offered to collectors.  Buy a note from someone you don't know (on eBay or elsewhere), and it's a gamble.

Here are some sheet insert ranges that coincide with mini ream ranges:

AOH 5.760 - 5.800
AOH 5.960 - 6.000
AOH 7.000 - 7.080
AOH 9.880 - 9.960
AOS 5.800 - 5.840
AOV 5.800 - 5.880

There are also a couple of sheet insert ranges that occur within a range of AOH notes where there is an offset in the ream boundaries, meaning the given insert ranges may be the right size but their boundaries are off by 20,000 notes...

AOH 1.120 - 1.200
AOH 1.320 - 1.360

If you don't believe me, that's fine.  I have a bunch of AOH 7.000 - 7.080 notes in Unc I could sell you.  I got them from a change machine dispensing new $5 bills.  If you believe they are inserts, why should I argue?  ;D

Mark
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:41:53 am by rachelsprivates »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:31:30 am »

70/70
96/54
85/90
68/63
74/56

A note with these position numbers was printed on a 5/on strip separately, meaning the ream size is 5,000 notes, not 40,000.  Thus when a sheet insert is found, and that insert has one of the five FP/BP pairs listed above, the insert range cannot be greater than 5,000.  We cannot just assume that notes in the 7 closest mini reams are inserts too, thus arbitrarily adding 35,000 notes to the insert range.  We need confirmed inserts from every 5,000-note mini ream to be able to draw a 40,000-note contour.

This is a good point.
The ream size is 5000.  To say that ALL 5000 are replacements is an assumption as well.  But, certain finds - including one by me in the $20s, showed out of four consecutive bricks, they all had replacements (mother brick and replacements were all mini-ream) - but the replacements did not match, per brick, ALTHOUGH, the replacements were in fact from four consecutive bricks.  (Different numbers in the mother bricks were removed).

The conclusion of that find points to there being in my opinion, 5 "hoppers" (this idea given to me by another senior brick searcher).  The hoppers correspond to the rows.
They load them up in groupings, OR, perhaps split one brick among the hoppers. We do not know....   This is how many SNR's were originally found. Side by side BRICKS would contain replacements that were off by the last digit.

So, the ream size of 5000 could be the actual size of the replcement range, or it could not, depending on how they dumped them into the quality control hoppers.

Anyway, I haven't posted on this ina while so I thought I would give it a shot.

:-) Take care everyone. :-)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length