12500-15000
2 (6.5%)
15000-17500
1 (3.2%)
17500-and UP???
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author
Topic: How much would it bring?  (Read 10887 times)
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:44 pm »

Below is a quote from Alvin5454 on the very rare note he has open to offers. It is indeed a GREAT note and will come at a GREAT and well diserved price.

For this poll please vote on your opinion on what the note would bring as far as price wise. I don't even know where to start, so lets see what all you others think it should bring seen that it is not listed in the book at a value as of yet...

For the serious collector of Bird Series notes, to complete the prefix collection:

1986 $5 BC56c: Bonin-Thiessen HNB, number 7917551.
This note is one of two known for this prefix (Charlton 20th edition, page 323).

Grade: PMG 65 EPQ.

(Scan unavailable until note is returned from PMG)

Thanks for your input. I hope you do very well on the note. It would be a once in a life time note :o :o

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:03:22 pm by BWJM »

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:44:49 am »

You are assuming that Alvin would be willing to openly publicize the final selling price, which may or may not be the case.  Rare notes are often sold privately for an undisclosed price for the protection of both the buyer and the seller!

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:28:27 am »

I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyones opinion would be on such a note, seeing is it has not been recognized with any value as of yet in the Charlton.  By no such way did I mean or intend to put pressure to the buyer or seller to release the outcome of the notes final price. This poll is strictly to see what everyones opinion would be. Sorry for any confusion that any members may have had.

Jeff

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:34:40 pm »

For this poll please vote on your opinion on what the note will bring as far as price wise. I don't even know where to start, so lets see what all you others think it should bring seen that it is not listed in the book at a value as of yet...

"Please vote on your opinion" Seems fairly clear to anyone with comprehension skills at their disposal bugsy.

I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyones opinion would be on such a note, seeing is it has not been recognized with any value as of yet in the Charlton.  By no such way did I mean or intend to put pressure to the buyer or seller to release the outcome of the notes final price. This poll is strictly to see what everyones opinion would be. Sorry for any confusion that any members may have had.

I fail to see where you asked for anything but opinions what this note may sell for.

You are assuming that Alvin would be willing to openly publicize the final selling price, which may or may not be the case.  Rare notes are often sold privately for an undisclosed price for the protection of both the buyer and the seller!

HuH?Where did he assume anything?

I sold this note to Alvin bugsy in a private transaction.Of course I will not reveal  what he bought the note for,that will be totally up to him.Of course as mentioned above,I fail to see where you are asking for this information anyway! :)
No apology needed imo.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 05:44:15 pm by twoinvallarta »

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 07:57:47 pm »

" How much will it bring ? "

We will only ever know how much it will bring if it is sold at public auction or if the buyer and/or seller in a private deal disclose the final transaction price. In the thread title Bugsy asked unambiguously "How much will it bring?" and he was obviously referring specifically to the sale of Alvin's note. He did not pose the question in the more general form "How much would it bring in a hypothetical transaction?"

Polls of this nature are an excellent idea when trying to assess the value of rare notes for which no public sales records exist, e.g., the Bank of Canada Osborne-Towers $50 1937 in Gem Unc or the $500 1935 French text note.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:14:38 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:19:38 pm »

Due to the confusion and concern of the way I stated my wording in this poll.  I have gone ahead and changed the words will bring to the words would bring in my poll description to save us a bunch of B.S. on a simple poll that was intended to be and only be a fun and opinion stating poll.  I hope this will meet everyones satisfaction so we can continue on with this and see what everyone does think what this specific note WOULD go for!!!!!

Jeff

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:53:51 pm »

The results of this poll will presumably be of great interest and great use to Alvin in deciding how to price his rare note #HNB7917551 at the Edmonton coin show!

And while on the topic of Edmonton coin shows, I remember having a table at an annual show of the Edmonton Coin Club around 1975. It was a small but intimate affair held at a hotel on the South side of Jasper Avenue not far from Gary's Coin Shop. How times have changed!

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 02:21:15 pm »

I am a bit skeptic to believe that the note would bring more than $2500 trough auction. The expected or anticipated price would most likely discourage most of your buyers leaving only one or 2 people making decent bids but no bidding wars. Secondly I notice that most of the prefix collectors go for quantity. It is harder to justify paying $5000 for a note where an identical more common UNC prefix can be found for $5.

It’s just too recent of a note to accurately determine its scarcity. No doubt there are collectors out there who will agree to the price but it will have to be a on a private sale.

Good luck

KC's Canadian Currency
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:23:10 pm »

Kid_KC, I fail to see your logic. The HNB is not just another prefix. That would be like saying who wants a 1911 dollar when you can have a 1935 for much cheaper.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:51:11 pm »

I would be happy to explain theory. First and foremost these are just my opinions. In no way am I saying that Alvin has made a bad move. He is holding on to what could be a tremendous potential.

These recent bank of Canada notes have for the most part a rather low book value even in gem UNC. To add to this the book values are overpriced as it is easy to acquire them bellow book. This HNB note in particular is very rare at the moment. The problem is that it’s only a variety of the note as the 1986 $5 is in no way rare and will never be rare. Notes which command the best premiums are those that are very rare in any shape or form. Where only 3-4 examples exist of all the notes printed. The fact is, millions of these notes still exits and most of them are UNC. As mentioned previously the justification of buying a $7000 dollar note is not clear when a similar variety can be purchased readily for $5. There is just too much of a gap to assign this price to scarce verity alone.

The bulk of the hobbies big spenders favor the earlier series of bank of Canada / Chartered notes. They are a very small percentage of the pie and when you think of 1986 $5 prefix specialties this piece of the pie gets even smaller

An other problem here is that brick searchers have hoarded the market and are holding on to the better notes. To make the situation worse as brick searchers have all their notes in UNC. This leaves no premium to be had for an UNC if they all show up this way. There is no telling if far more then these 2 exist. It is however unlikely that so few have survived of such a common note.

I for one would suggest Alvin to part with the note sooner than later if profit is his goal. The bulk of this notes value is solely responsible on the fact that only 2 are currently known. As this prefix as a whole may remain scarce the value will plummet once a few more hit the market .

KC's Canadian Currency
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:07:02 pm »

There is no telling if far more then these 2 exist. It is however unlikely that so few have survived of such a common note.

Now that is a scary thought..... to drop 5K and then they come out of the woodwork.   I also have that concern with some of the other journey notes...maybe better on another thread

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 03:14:06 am »

It was told to me by someone other than Alvin, that only a few HNB were
printed as a pre-production pattern or trial, similar to the JHS journey. The 2 that got out were initially picked up by a reporter doing the story for the bank of Canada.(or something to that effect). Can anyone else verify this story?
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 03:21:22 am »

Now that is a scary thought..... to drop 5K and then they come out of the woodwork.   I also have that concern with some of the other journey notes ... maybe better on another thread.

I've started a new thread entitled "THE PRICING OF RARE MODERN NOTES" in the General Forum Comments section.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 09:43:44 am »

It was told to me by someone other than Alvin, that only a few HNB were printed as a pre-production pattern or trial, similar to the JHS journey. The 2 that got out were initially picked up by a reporter doing the story for the bank of Canada.(or something to that effect). Can anyone else verify this story?
HNB notes are not trials or test notes. They are "good-overs", similar to Lawson/Bouey EET notes and Crow/Bouey EPW notes. Refer to p312 of the Charlton 20th Edition for an explanation.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 09:57:56 am »

They are "good-overs", similar to Lawson/Bouey EET notes and Crow/Bouey EPW notes. Refer to p312 of the Charlton 20th Edition for an explanation

Very interesting Brent.  I have never heard the term "good-overs" before...I guess I should read my bible more carefully.   It's full of ifo isn't it ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length