Author
Topic: New $20 release date announced  (Read 8035 times)
Bob
« on: June 11, 2004, 10:46:36 pm »

I just found this on the B o C web site:
The Canadian Journey series of bank notes is designed to celebrate Canada's history, culture, and achievements.

The Bank of Canada is continuing its plans to issue new, more secure high denominations notes in the Canadian Journey series. The Bank expects to put the $20 note into circulation beginning on Wednesday, September 29. Following issuance, it will take up to two weeks for the note to be distributed and become generally available across the country.

The $20 note, including its visual design and security features, will be unveiled a number of weeks before the issue date, on Wednesday, August 25. Between the unveiling and issue, the Bank will be working with its partners and the Canadian public to inform them about the new anti-counterfeiting features.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 10:57:46 pm »

Wow !!! Great news.

Here is a link to the official press release :

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/newnote/index.html

Philippe
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 04:06:49 am »

Well, I guess those of us who believed the $50 was coming first were mistaken.  Ah well.  I'd better start saving up for my new $20s.
jonathan
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:58:51 pm »

Jason, I have to admit, I kind of originally assumed that the new $50 note would be issued last.  Oh well, I guess I have over three months to save up for my new $20's (that's a quarter of a year to you, J!  And I'm not talking 25 cents!)

But the "soon-to-be" old $20 was the last new note of the birds issue, released in June of 1993, and that was nearly eleven years ago.  By the time the new $20 note is issued, the kids will be back in school, the temperatures will start to drop, and Special Olympics training will resume.

Where does the time go?  We have only 72 days till the unveiling, and 107 days total till we get to pocket our new $20's for the first time (not necessarily for us Newfies - we probably might see them in St. John's on September 30th or October 1st.).

I don't think I should expect the new $50 note issued until at least early 2005 - after the new $20 note is released, we will only have less than three months till Christmas.  And that may not be enough time to issue the new $50, but it may be unveiled around December.

Bye for now,
Jonathan
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 12:17:29 am »

I think the new $50 will be unveiled in late November. and we'll start off 2005 with the Journey series complete.

Marc :)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 01:52:06 am »

Whoever is right can come to the racetrack with me.... I need help pickin' the fillies.

funky_phantom
  • bill collector & more
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 04:08:22 am »

And lets just not think that TROC ( the rest of canada) will also see these notes in a timely fashion. It was a full 60 days before the new 100's appeared here in the northern part of Alberta. I had my purchase from another party well in hand prior to finding a single specimen in the wild west.
So again its not just the east coast that seems to receive the notes slower than TROC, only Ontario and Quebec have it easier. Beautiful BC is not very far behind either. I expect I may see the new 20.00's in the wild about Rememberance Day or so...

jonathan
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 11:08:02 am »

Actually, here in NL, we actually saw the new $100 at the main Scotiabank branch in St. John's ONE DAY after the actual issue date.  But still, a lot of bank branches didn't get their new $100's until later on.

When the new $20 gets released, I won't count on it being available in St. John's, NL until at least that Thursday.  I should count on my trusty Scotiabank again for the release of the new notes from now on...

Later, Jonathan
JB-2007
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 03:45:37 pm »

this came to a real surprise to me. I was sure we weren't going to see the journey 20 until next year at the earliest. During the birds series the 20 was last to be released (1993) as the 2 and the 5 were both released 7 years earlier in 1986. Its about time we get change in our notes, and i cant wait to see the new 20. Im sure it will be better than the '93 birds 20. The birds notes are kinda boring  :-/
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 05:06:50 pm »

The Journey series will be nice when it's complete.  Being that the $20 is the most used note, I don't think it will take long to reach the outlying regions.

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 12:18:50 am »

In a July 19, 2004 posting on another thread, Seth wrote:

Rumours at a bill tracking site say there are a few sneak previews of the new Journey $20 out there, one displayed on the screen of a New Brunswick ATM, and apparently an artist's rendition in a recent issue of CCN.

I actually got to see a "sneak preview" of the new $20 bill on the screen of a Scotiabank ATM machine earlier this evening.

Imagine what it will actually look like when it gets unveiled this Wednesday...

Peace, Jonathan

Login with username, password and session length