Author
Topic: New Journey $50 note  (Read 30576 times)
jonathan
« on: July 01, 2004, 12:15:13 am »

Well, the new $20 note will be revealed on August 25th, and will be issued on September 29th.

But, however, I predict (and this is only a guess) that the new $50 note (the last new note to complete the Journey series) will be unveiled (or released) around the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the "persons" case - presumably Wednesday, October 13th or 20th.

If you wish to find out more about the Famous Five and Therese Casgrain, go into search engine www.google.ca or www.yahoo.ca", and enter keywords "Famous Five Therese Casgrain."

Bye for now, and Happy Canada Day!
From Jonathan
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 04:32:24 am »

Interesting prediction.

Marc :)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 08:52:06 pm »

I know that many fellow collectors can't bear to wait for the release date of the new $50 note.   :-[

Well, I received word from a very reliable source, the new $50 note will be released in Fall 2004.    

For those who want to make a small wager, let me know.  ;D

Cheers!

Michael
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 08:52:38 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
jonathan
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 02:27:24 pm »

I predict that Canada's new $50 note will be released before Christmas.  I think that the new $20 notes will debut with the Jenkins/Dodge signature combo this September, and I think that, with the completion of the Journey series, the new $50 note will make its debut with the Jenkins/Dodge combo later in the fall.

The new $100 note, released last March, was the first note to bear the Jenkins/Dodge combo, followed by the $5, and now the $10.  I believe that the new $20 will be the next denomination to have that signature combo, and then the $50.

In my opinion, the new Journey $50 note should be released by Christmas, as the Jenkins/Dodge combo has been seen on three of the five current denominations of Canadian banknotes.

I will check the Bank of Canada website each weekday before I go into this Forum for further information!

Later, Jonathan
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 03:38:51 pm »

I think that the new $20 notes will debut with the Jenkins/Dodge signature combo this September.

We know this already.  It will be Sept. 29th.

the new $50 note will make its debut with the Jenkins/Dodge combo later in the fall.

I don't doubt it will be released in the fall.  Unless either official were to quit their job, why would either the $20 or $50 be released with any other combo than J/D?

jonathan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 06:37:32 pm »

My prediction proved right - the new $50 note WILL  indeed be unveiled in Calgary on October 13th.

I give myself a pat on the back for my 100% "accurate" prediction. ;D

Later,
Jonathan
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:13:05 pm »

Canadian Women to Finally Appear on Bank Notes

Senior Analayst, John Mackenzie of the Bank of Canada, said that Canadian women will soon be appearing on bank notes. The Bank of Canada will be issuing a new $50 note which will feature the images of the Famous Five and Thérèse Casgrain. Bank officials expect the new note to be ready for circulation in November 2004.

The Famous Five were all Albertans: Henrietta Muir Edwards, Nellie McClung, Louise McKinney, Emily Murphy and Irene Parlby.

A Bank of Canada statement notes that "These women overcame tremendous obstacles and exemplify the spirit necessary to build a better Canada. While most often recognized for their role in the famous Persons' case, they were all very politically and socially active particularly for women's rights."

Thérèse Casgrain was a prominent leader in the battle for women's suffrage in Quebec, and contributed to a multitude of causes during her lifetime. For 14 years the dedicated feminist served as president of the Women's Right League. Casgrain also hosted a popular radio program called "Femina".

Smile from your heart.  ;D
jonathan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 08:16:33 pm »

Well, after the new $20 bill is released, it will be just two weeks from that day that the new $50 bill will be unveiled...

I tell ya, the BoC will be pretty busy during the next three months ;D.

Bye 4 Now ;),
Jonathan
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 06:53:44 pm »

Is somebody knows or remember when in november the new 50$ note will be released?  I checked at the Bank of Canada's website and ALL the references about the release of this note are removed from the news page. ???.  In english, the page has a new link which   redirect to the Canadian Journey serie and in french, the page is simply gone (does not exists), without any redirecting.

And any informations about the redesigning the 10$ note are also gone.

Is Bank of Canada has something against revealating news about our notes?

JB-2007
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 07:48:56 pm »

interesting.
Well the 50 was suppose to be unveilled october 13 and released to the public on november 17.
The updated 10$ was suppose to be released sometime next year.
I guess we will have to wait and see... for now we will still be going with the dates we have.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 08:05:33 pm »

From the Montreal Mirror, Sept 2, 2004

New $50 slammed as racist

Canada's $50 bill will soon be replaced by images that have been attacked as racist and elitist, depicting portraits of the Famous 5 (Judge Emily Murphy, Louise McKinney, Nellie McClung, Irene Parlby and the Montreal-born Henrietta Muir Edwards).

http://www.montrealmirror.com/meat/front.html  (scroll till you see it)
Starting next month, the women's rights activists from Alberta will appear on the bill alongside Québécoise activist Thérèse Casgrain. While the five won major gains in the legal status of women in Canada, they were also hostile to Asian immigrants and supported the sterilization of the less-bright among us. Calgary Sun columnist Michael Platt describes them as "white supremacists," pointing out that "Judge Murphy, in her 1922 book on drug abuse, The Black Candle, claimed narcotics are a conspiracy by blacks and Asians to bring about the degeneration of the white race."

But Frances Wright, whose Famous 5 Foundation lobbied for the bill, thinks differently. "The good things the Famous 5 did greatly outweigh any mistakes that they might've made," she says, explaining that The Black Candle was written after Wright consulted 500 "police chiefs, judges and politicians in the British Empire about the growth of drugs in the world. We believe they are the pre-eminent democratic champions of Canada, because they're largely responsible for Canadian women's right to vote and run for office."

Says Fo Niemi of local anti-racist Centre for Research-Action on Race Relations, "We can celebrate what these women did but we still have to acknowledge their racist past, which is a reflection of their times."

jonathan
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 08:42:55 pm »

Does this mean that the new $50 may possibly be delayed, as a result of this "so-called" controversy? ???

Also, if (or should I say when) the new $50 bill gets released, might very few Canadians spend them?

Jonathan ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 08:47:02 pm by jonathan »
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 09:33:42 pm »

A few people will complain, then it'll be over.  Not much will happen I don't think.

jonathan
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 09:34:54 pm »

Good point. ;)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 09:04:18 am »

From the Montreal Mirror, Sept 2, 2004

New $50 slammed as racist

Canada's $50 bill will soon be replaced by images that have been attacked as racist and elitist, depicting portraits of the Famous 5 (Judge Emily Murphy, Louise McKinney, Nellie McClung, Irene Parlby and the Montreal-born Henrietta Muir Edwards).

http://www.montrealmirror.com/meat/front.html  (scroll till you see it)
Starting next month, the women's rights activists from Alberta will appear on the bill alongside Québécoise activist Thérèse Casgrain. While the five won major gains in the legal status of women in Canada, they were also hostile to Asian immigrants and supported the sterilization of the less-bright among us. Calgary Sun columnist Michael Platt describes them as "white supremacists," pointing out that "Judge Murphy, in her 1922 book on drug abuse, The Black Candle, claimed narcotics are a conspiracy by blacks and Asians to bring about the degeneration of the white race."

But Frances Wright, whose Famous 5 Foundation lobbied for the bill, thinks differently. "The good things the Famous 5 did greatly outweigh any mistakes that they might've made," she says, explaining that The Black Candle was written after Wright consulted 500 "police chiefs, judges and politicians in the British Empire about the growth of drugs in the world. We believe they are the pre-eminent democratic champions of Canada, because they're largely responsible for Canadian women's right to vote and run for office."

Says Fo Niemi of local anti-racist Centre for Research-Action on Race Relations, "We can celebrate what these women did but we still have to acknowledge their racist past, which is a reflection of their times."

Hi,

I recall reading in a history text that W.M. Mackenzie King was also anti-Asian. During WWII, he believed that all Japanese Canadians should be spread out across Canada so as to prevent communities from re-forming.  I know that my grandparents never had anything good to say about him.

It's interesting how these two controversial figures end up on the same bill.

Dean

Login with username, password and session length