Author
Topic: New Journey $50 note  (Read 30577 times)
jonathan
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 08:58:55 pm »

Thu, August 19, 2004

'Famous Five' aren't worth a plug nickel

Making a journalist's salary is rarely something to cheer about -- but it means there's little chance of having to handle the new $50 bill, so hip, hip, hooray.

The redesigned fifty, due out in October, will mark a gutter-level low in the history of Canada's currency. And in honouring the squad of racist, elitist bigots known as the Famous Five, it will serve as a legal-tender insult to millions of Canadians.

The Famous Five -- Nellie McClung, Judge Emily Murphy, Louise McKinney, Henrietta Muir Edwards and Irene Parlby -- are featured on the back of the new $50, along with Quebec human-rights activist Therese Casgrain.

The Famous Five, who'd be more aptly called the Fascist Five, are Alberta feminists who won a major rights battle for Canada's women, after forcing the court to admit females were legally "persons" and could become senators.

That admirable accomplishment, which took place in 1929, certainly earns the Five a place in Canadian history -- but it shouldn't earn them a place on Canada's cash.

And it shouldn't make heroes of people who deserve as much criticism as they do applause.

The Famous Five are a rotten choice, because the country's money is public domain -- and many members of that public are people the Five wouldn't have wanted as Canadians.

Modern-day revisionists have tried to whitewash the dark doctrine of the group, but it's a well-documented truth that the Five consisted of upper-class women who promoted Canada as a racially-superior society of wealthy, educated Anglo-Saxons. No blacks, Asians or East Europeans need apply.

Judge Murphy, in her 1922 book on drug abuse, The Black Candle, claimed narcotics are a conspiracy by blacks and Asians to bring about the degeneration of the white race.

Being white wasn't good enough if your IQ wasn't up to snuff either -- the ladies, now promoted as champions of equal rights, supported a system of enforced sterilization for the "feeble-minded" known as eugenics.

Thanks to self-satisfied bigots like the Famous Five, mentally-challenged and slow-thinking Canadians were forced to undergo surgery to render them incapable of reproducing -- the goal being a superior society where the faults of lesser beings, such as poverty and crime, would no longer exist.

"We protect the public against diseased and distempered cattle. We should similarly protect them against the offal of humanity," is how Murphy put it, in 1932.

The apologists argue that such thinking, along with racism, was common-place in the 1920s and 1930s -- which, incidentally, is exactly when fascism flourished.

Forgiving the Famous Five when we still condemn other white-supremists of the era, including the Nazis, is hypocritical.

There were people of the same era who considered such views disgusting -- it wasn't a case of everybody felt the same, so you can't blame the Five for thinking that way.

It's important that Canada make a stand to show what Murphy and her cohorts promoted was wrong -- especially as the $50 is not the only place the Five will be featured this fall.

Alberta Learning has added the Famous Five to their mandatory Grade 5 history curriculum -- and if young kids are taught these women were heroes, what of the bigotry and racism?

Learning about the Famous Five is a good thing, and again, much of what they fought for was admirable and bold at a time when women were treated as second-class citizens.

But Alberta's students must also be made to learn that the Famous Five treated others as third-class citizens. Hopefully there are teachers out there who will give the kids a balanced version of this history, and not just the happy parts.

As for the $50, it's not too late for the Bank of Canada to scrap the Famous Five plan and find another, more deserving figure from Canadian history to grace the new currency (how about someone from one of the minorities the Famous Five would have kept out of Canada?).

The new fifty will probably be printed anyway, and in some ways it's a fitting bill for the Famous Five -- being rarely seen by the riff-raff.

The $50 certainly suits the group who wanted equality for all -- so long as "all" meant rich, white and intelligent.

<<END OF ITEM>>

Is it true that the new $50 bill may mark a "gutter-level" low when it gets released?  If so, will they still print them thereafter?  Or might they find another vignette to replace the Famous Five for the theme of "Nation Building"?  Or better yet, will they scrap the idea of a new $50 bill for a few years?

Despite all the controversy, I will get my hands on the new $50's as soon as they come out (if they do come out, that is)...

Bye 4 now, Jonathan
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 10:26:55 pm »

And the source of this article was.........?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
jonathan
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2004, 10:34:48 pm »

Michael Platt, journalist for the Calgary Sun provided this report on August 19th.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Calgary/Michael_Platt/2004/08/19/589862.html

Thanks, Jonathan
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 01:35:16 am »

Mr. Platt reminds me of a spitting cobra!

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 02:02:50 am »

The only thing that will prevent its release is complete, utter public outrage from every province.  And that won't happen.

Marc :)
Jason
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 11:56:33 am »

The proposal for the new $50, including the "Famous Five", has been a matter of public record for quite some time.  If people were serious about protesting the design to the point of reconsidering it, it would have happened LONG before now.  All that's left are people who just want to stir up a little trouble.

Perhaps the Famous Five weren't saints--but to my knowledge, nobody in Canadian history was.  Should we scrap John A. from the $10 because of the Railway Scandal?  Should we scrap Borden from the $100 because of conscription during WWI?  Should we scrap the Queen from this new $20, because she didn't show the appropriate grief at the death of Diana?  Nobody is perfect, but these people have earned their place in history, and their positive contributions to Canada were/are significant enough for them to to have earned their places on our money.  And the same can be said for the Famous Five.

I for one am looking forward to the new $50, to complete my Journey Series collection... even though it means I won't have any new banknote designs to look forward to for a long time after that.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2004, 02:17:02 pm »

Hear! Hear!

Very well put Jason.   :)

Kelly

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
jonathan
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2004, 11:35:54 pm »

On Sept. 9, 2004, Jason wrote:

I for one am looking forward to the new $50, to complete my Journey Series collection... even though it means I won't have any new banknote designs to look forward to for a long time after that.

My guess is that we may have to wait until at least 2015 or 2016 before we see another new series of Canadian banknotes.  I may be in my 40's when they do happen... ;D

Bye 4 now, Jonathan ;)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 12:29:12 am »

You never know... we may get a new $20 bill in a few years with King Charles and Queen Camilla on it.

Jason
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2004, 01:35:27 am »

That brings up an interesting point....

If something were to happen to the Queen, would the whole Journey series be scrapped in favour of a new series?  As far fetched as it may sound--that IS what they did with the 1935 series when George V died in 1936.

However, it is also possible that they will make a modified Journey series $20 with Charles (III) on it, and let the Journey series live for its intended lifespan.

Any thoughts?
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2004, 04:03:27 am »

There was a lot of "royal" turmoil in 1936 - 37.  After King George V died in January 1936, King Edward assumed the throne only for a few months then abdicated in favor of his brother Albert who became King George VI.  

Your question as to why they would replace the whole series rather than just the $1 bill bearing the deceased King's portrait is interesting....  but my guess (completely speculation) is that after George VI was King, the $1 bill had a deceased King, the $2 had the widow of a deceased  King, the $5 has a portrait of a disgraced prince who had abdicated the throne, the $10 note bore a portrait of Princess Mary who was very close to her brother Edward, and was unhappy at the way her brother was treated over the abdication.  Apparently she refused to attend the wedding of her neice Elizabeth to Prince Philip in 1947 because Edward was not invited.  So a complete overhaul seemed in order.

The portrait that was used on the 1937 notes ($1 through $50) was the same portrait of Albert/George that appeared on the 1935 $50 notes, and the reverse graphics were recycled from the 1935 series.  I think Charlton says that it was too costly to have separate english & french notes so that was likely a factor in the 1937 redesign.

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2004, 01:13:10 pm »

Good question!   :)

I would expect (and hope!), that we will get a revised $20 with a portrait of King Charles.  I would be surprised if they revised the entire note set; that seems excessive and unecessarily expensive.

The other possible result would be a past Prime Minister on a revised $20, but I kind of doubt it.  We are still a member of the Commonwealth and we should have at least one note with the reigning monarch.

Don't get me wrong; I am not a "Royal watcher", nor do I particularly care about the monarchy in general.  I AM a person that cares about tradition and history though, and it is appropriate that we maintain the monarch on our currency.  Canada is the greatest country on this planet, and we got this way because of the circumstances of our past.  Turning our back on the past would be disrespectful and a mistake.

Personally, I hope that the next series of notes will have OTHER important Canadians featured on them.  Being placed on a nation's currency is a great honour, and I think we have a number of Canadians that deserve this recognition.  I think a series that has an important person from various cultural backgrounds would be the best representation of Canada.  But I also think the $20 should always carry the reigning monarch.

That's the way I see it.   :)

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2004, 04:09:38 pm »

Hi,

I agree with Kelly when she says that the Monarch should remain on our folding money.  The BoC missed a great opportunity to release a commemorative $50 for the Queen's golden Jubilee in 2002.  Nation building would have been an appropriate theme too.

Other Commonwealth countries have issued notes to commemorate this event, why didn't we?

Dean.

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2004, 06:19:06 pm »

Ah-humm.......

Mr. Kelly B.     ::)

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2004, 07:39:16 pm »

Ah-humm.......

Mr. Kelly B.     ::)

sorry...

Kelly, Please forgive my ignorance... :-[  I know 3 female Kellys and I also have a female cousin of the same name.  Force of habit, I guess.

Dean.  

Login with username, password and session length