Author
Topic: WHO and WHAT determine the notes (Prefixes) that are put on Registries  (Read 3711 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

I was wondering who is the person or person(s) that decide what notes are put in the registries and what makes a note worthy of having a registry created for it?
Does it have to due with scarcity, demand, price ....... ???

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:22:33 pm »

I think that Registries should be reserved only for rare notes in which no actual high or low has yet to be determined and/or very few of them actually exist. For example *V/V, *Z/Z, AUG-AUN birds $2, HNB Bonin-Thiessen, BEK, BEL, BEP, BER and so on.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:17:42 pm »

Does it have to due with scarcity, demand, price ....... ???

All of the above. IF there is in demand to be published in the register and a valid reason that the note is rare enaugh to inlcude in the register without cutting down a tree. The interset alone can be enaught to start the register but if too many are found it is usually abandoned. Most rare note "less than 50" usualy make the cut. Popularity is not enaugh to inlcude it in the register as many popular notes are not rare at all. Take for example the 1935 $25 note, quite possibly the most desirable ealy Cnd bank note. More than 1800 of these are beleive to exist so why need a register of each one and its grade. We know there are UNCs and plenty of VG's. I think thats enaught o satisfy collectors. I do not think price has much to do with notes being in the register, rare notes are usualy pricy adn so are popular ones.

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:45:53 pm »

I am curious too as what the criteria that makes a certian note worth creating a registry. I have an Unc $2 Crow/Bouey AUJ over 9.38M so I have an idea how few there are. From the looks of it I have one of nine known. With the more modern Journey notes, my gut feeling and observations are that the prefixes like AOM, AOP,AOR, BTF replacements etc. can warrant consideration for a registry. Very few have appeared in the Trading post or Ebay nor my local shows. They may be recent rarities but so far I've seen far more Unc BELs and BERs.

Dei Gratia mon

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length