Author
Topic: Queries:  (Read 4627 times)
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:13:52 am »

I am now doing the two I banks and I have a couple of questions. 
               RE  The  International Bank of Canada:   I  have  not been  able  to  locate  any  images  of  the  $1 Falls  and  the  $5  varieties  with  TWO signatures
and  WITH  colored  protectors.      Were  any  such  notes  actually issued??
              RE  La  Banque  Internationale du  Canada  1911  notes:   it  was  my  understanding  that  only  a  few  $5's  were  actually  circulated  and  that  these  notes  are  now  fairly  scarce,  but  that  NO  $10's  or  $20's  ever  circulated (although   I  have  found  an  image of  what  appears  to  be  a  circulated  $10);    it  is  further  my  understanding  that  Specimens  of  these 1911  notes  are  relatively  common.   Am  I  correct  in  my  understanding??
                  Thank you  all  for your  help.                    Bernard
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:03:12 am »

International Bank of Canada

Is this one you were searching for?
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Bob
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 09:16:28 am »

I would not conclude that notes were never issued for circulation simply on the basis that no issued notes are now known to survive.  If a bank had notes printed, they were very likely circulated as well, as long as the bank was able actually to go into business.  (Exceptions such as the Consolidated Bank $10s were withheld from circulation because of a major theft.) 
It is known that the Imperial Bank of Canada $100 1923 issue was circulated, for example, yet none are known now; likewise the Union Bank of Halifax 1904 Trinidad issue.
I suspect the Banque Internationale $20 notes also circulated but were completely withdrawn.  (Both $5 and $10 are known as issued notes.) 
Sometimes notes thought to be long extinct do turn up - watch for your Dec. CPMS Newsletter!

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:09:55 pm »

To  Fried Squid:    Thank you for the image.  Alas, the one I need is the variety with lines for two signatures (at left and right) but bearing only one signature (at left).
Nevertheless I appreciate your effort to help me.
To  Bob:   Thank you for the info,  especially for the mention of the two specific notes.  My old catalogue does sometimes mention that a note was  then   apparently known only as a "Face Proof" or as a "Specimen," yet I have nevertheless  been able to locate an image of an apparently circulated note,  presumably a  more recent discovery.   You  mention that a forthcoming CPMS pub will mention more such notes;  alas, I have no easy access to  those  previous CPMS pubs  listing such notes nor can I afford future  pubs  simply because a particular edition may (or may not) have such info.    Would  it  be possible for you to send me a comprehensive list of  those  notes now known  to have circulated but  formerly listed as "Specimen?"  (If you prefer to send it privately rather than by E-mail, please feel free to do so.)   I  am  now working in the J's,  on  La  Banque Jacques Cartier.   It  is  my understanding that the highest publicly-known price ever yet paid for a chartered bank note was for a note fo this bank---am  I  correct??
        Bernard  Schaaf,   248  West Duarte Street,  Brawley, California  USA  92227
P.S.  I am having major computer problems and may have to be off-line for a week or two.    Happy  Thanksgiving to all.
Bob
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:04:05 pm »

International Bank of Canada $1 Falls, two signatures: see
http://www.currencymuseum.ca/eng/collection/view.php?objectid=1971.0034.00004.000
and the $5,
http://www.currencymuseum.ca/eng/collection/view.php?objectid=1966.0113.00004.000
These notes are in the National Currency Collection.
Both notes do exist with two signatures and red protectors as well but are extremely rare.
I will email you concerning Banque Internationale du Canada.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
justeo
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 01:06:32 pm »

The $5 and $10 Banque Internationale Du Canada.
justeo.

Login with username, password and session length