Author
Topic: eBay Fraud Warning - 1954 $20 *V/E 0593882  (Read 21960 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 08:36:53 am »

I guess fake *C/I 1954 $1 Lawson-Bouey notes will be next! However, at least the Charlton catalogue has warned us about that possibility (page 266).

Yes, the perpetrator of the fake asterisk crime is indeed a miserable creature. However, fake collectibles (not only paper money) have been around for the longest time and one must always be on one's guard. Whenever the price of a collectible starts to climb the likelihood of encountering fakes increases. It wasn't so long ago that the plastic holders containing high grade certified coins were being tampered with and lower grade coins were being inserted in their place. Fortunately, that will probably never happen with certified paper money because it's not so easy to tamper with serial numbers ...

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Fever
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 09:05:47 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't collect US notes, but I didn't know that the USA used an asterisk system for their replacement notes.....

Are they at it again???

Ebay item: 270190581547

http://cgi.ebay.ca/20-REPLACEMENT-NOTE-MINT-2004-Asterisk-EL03343478_W0QQitemZ270190581547QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3429QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 11:03:51 pm »

US banknotes do use asterisks for their notes.  But instead of calling them astericks, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (aka BEP), they are referred to as "star" notes.   

This note looks to be genuine. 

Smile from your heart.  ;D
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 11:04:03 pm »

Yes, US notes have a star for replacement notes. They call it a star rather than an asterisk as in "STAR note"
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 10:34:27 pm »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 12:21:44 am »

Wow Sherlock!!!!

Good work.   I vote for tarring and feathering, followed by the iron lady!!!

nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 01:20:15 am »

Let me be the second member to Thank you for bringing this seller to our attention :o. I was glad to see that the buyer of those notes realized what the seller was up to and didn't follow through with the purchases 8). I doubt there is anything eBay can do as there were no "legal" laws broken.....just deception >:(.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2007, 02:42:18 am »

So this seller is at it again!
I hate to say this but I get this gut feeling as I looked carefully at these lots, I already get the impression that the buyer could be the same person as the seller(s) under another identity. I could likely be wrong but an eBay newbie wouldn't be spending $1000s without some homework. To the seller it would be a useful way of avoiding Negative feedback when the heat is on, and could still slant the undisclosable data that eBay collects for their use. Please, has anyone contacted the buyer?

Maybe the buyer may respond in French.  ???

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2007, 04:04:28 am »

This seller has no morals. 

I don't think the buyer would be the same or related to the seller.  With some of those notes going for such high prices, the eBay gets a cut of the selling price.  So, by looking at the several auctions that ended, the fees to eBay would be nearly $100. 

I have a feeling that perhaps the buyer is doing it in spite, knowing that the notes are not worth what the seller is selling them at.

Actually, the BUYER has PLACED NEGATIVE FEEDBACK and made warnings about the seller. 

Whoever the buyer is... that's fantastic!!! 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 04:11:08 am by coinsplus »

Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2007, 10:29:17 am »

Nice one Elwoodblues! And big kudos to the "buyer" of those items, and nipping the seller right in the butt.

Great job everyone! Nice to see people protecting our great hobby.

Happy holidays everyone!

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2007, 11:16:23 am »

Let me be the second member to Thank you for bringing this seller to our attention :o. I was glad to see that the buyer of those notes realized what the seller was up to and didn't follow through with the purchases 8). I doubt there is anything eBay can do as there were no "legal" laws broken.....just deception >:(.

Most of the notes have been altered in some way, (trimmed, washed, pressed, pencil removed), would this not be an altercation of the original item, and then be considered a misrepresentation of the original item. This can easily be tracked through eBay itself.
Could this be in violation of eBay’s policies?

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2007, 01:56:57 pm »

Elwood --you  need to be congratulated for an outstanding bit of detective work there! 

KUDOS man!

Also, whoever is "crzzyhorse" on eBay, the brave buyer to take "Mollyannejo" on- thanks & Kudos to you for trying to keep unscrupulous sellers like her on the straight and narrow. 

Now, with that perfectly fitting feedback, at least potential buyers will know what game she's at.

Way to go guys!

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2007, 06:13:53 pm »

crzzyhorse on eBay is now showing as "no longer a registered user", but was a eBay member since August 2006.

Guess he/she had already planned to close their eBay account and decided to stick it to this fraud at the same time!  Genius!!  I love it!!!

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2007, 07:48:18 pm »

Wow Sherlock!!!!

Good work.   I vote for tarring and feathering, followed by the iron lady!!!

I already got the feathers. When do we start?

The Ebay listings now show,
"This listing (270197770xxx) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number."

Meaning....

"We're covering our a**es even thought we got paid our fees for it fraud or no fraud."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:51:08 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 12:38:42 am »

OH NO!!!  eBay may erase all the negative feedback from the seller. 

When eBay buyers become "no longer registered users", all feedbacks related to that user will eventually disappear.  As a result, when someone checks the feedback from this con-artist seller, they will not know about these material facts.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 12:43:44 am by coinsplus »

Login with username, password and session length