Author
Topic: Barclays $5 1935  (Read 4498 times)
pattattie
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:20:43 am »

Hello,

I would appreciate obtaining opinions concerning this note. I have the opportunity to purchase one in original VF condition from a reputable dealer at what seems to be a reasonable price. The fact that there seems to be only approx 40 (+/-)  known examples of this note makes the purchase that much more interesting. However a quick ebay search reveals quite a few available in vendor's stores at astronomical prices?

If there are so many on ebay, how rare is this note? Is it considered to be a good investment?

Thanks for your time.

Alain
Bob
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:34:51 am »

There are 51 1935 $5s recorded on the register as of this moment.  All but 1 now in eBay stores were previously recorded.  I do not know where one of the vendors got the idea there were 40.  The latest published information was in the CPMS Newsletter for June 2006 which gave the total as 43; the other 8 have been added since so clearly the register is not likely close to being "complete" yet (you could say that of most notes for which registers have been kept).
I'd suggest buying the note if you like it at the price and don't get too wrapped up in the investment potential.  This is a hobby, after all.
I hope this will be of some help.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
pattattie
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:27:03 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

I placed my order for the note this afternoon. Should arrive in a few days.

Alain

Login with username, password and session length