Author
Topic: world bank note errors  (Read 4217 times)
moneycow
« on: November 15, 2007, 01:21:15 pm »

There seems to be a lengthy section in the book describing different types of errors found on Canadian banknotes.  There also seems to be a healthy population of Canadian banknote error collectors.

Is error note collecting as popular in other world currencies.  Euros, U.S. dollars etc.  What are the most popular world currencies where errors are sought.

Thanks all.
Craig
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 06:55:07 pm »

Canada has one of the most developed paper money markets.
We collect replacements, test notes, special numbers, signatures, prefixes, changeovers, and errors. Other countries like the US and GB are just catching on to those specialties. Up until recently they only paid attention to signature varieties.
It is a mystery however, that the pricing still hasn't "matured" in such a market. Compared to the US and Australia, most Canadian paper is still cheap. Paper collecting has constantly grown in the last 15 years, more so than coins. That's why the constant rise in book values.
Errors have always been highly valued, and I've seen some interest amongst US collectors for US errors, and I'm  sure  other countries will follow.
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:20:57 am »

There seems to be a lengthy section in the book describing different types of errors found on Canadian banknotes.  There also seems to be a healthy population of Canadian banknote error collectors.

Is error note collecting as popular in other world currencies.  Euros, U.S. dollars etc.  What are the most popular world currencies where errors are sought.

Thanks all.
Craig
Hi Craig, It seems to me that US collectors have it much better then us Canadian Error collectors as eBay has an entire section under their US paper money section devoted entirely to US paper Errors 8). On any given day there are usually 200+ Errors listed :o. I have written to eBay requesting a similar category under Canadian paper money but to no avail ???.

Login with username, password and session length