Author
Topic: U.S. paper money calogue  (Read 4599 times)
moneycow
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:50:22 pm »

Looking for a recommendation for a U.S. paper money book, similar to our beloved Charlton Canadian Government Paper Money book.
Thank you,
Craig
Bernard_Schaaf
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:44:44 pm »

If  you  want one single comprehensive catalogue of both large (1862-1929)  and small-size  (1928-present) currency,  you  have  two  choices:  (a)  the latest Friedberg catalogue  (on which the so-called  "Fr."  or  "Friedberg numbers" are based, and/or (b)  the latest edition of Gene Hessler's  book.   If you are interested only in the small-size currency  there is an excellent catalogue by John Schwartz et al.   You  could order any of these from  Don C. Kelly, a reputable dealer,  at
www.donckelly.com.    Information on BEP recent printings can be had from www.uspapermoney.info.   Excellent images of most (but not all)  notes can be had from Heritage Coins auction archives:   www.ha.coins.com.  Good luck.
                                                     Bernard  Schaaf
Oldbucks
    • Oldbucks Web site
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:20:36 pm »

I agree with Bernard....the Paper Money of the United States" by Arthur and Ira Friedberg is about one of the best all around guides for US currency covering Colonials, Fractionals, Confederates, Large and small notes to the present.

The "Standard Guide to Small-Size U.S. PaperMoney 1928 to Date" by Swartz is great if your a block collector for small sized notes.

For Large sized star (replacement) notes..you will need "The Complete Catalog of United States Large Size Star Notes 1910-1929" by Douglas Murray.

Jeff

"Monstra Mihi Pecuniam" - Member of the Society of Paper Money Collectors - SPMC
moneycow
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:49:14 pm »

Thanks for the response guys.

For a while I was thinking I'd have to make a comment about someone's mother or put the words "eBay" or "inserts" in the subject line to get anyone to respond.

Craig

Login with username, password and session length