Author
Topic: Is there a book with current replacements notes listed?  (Read 7121 times)
abyss
« on: November 17, 2007, 05:05:52 pm »

I just picked up a new Charltons Paper Money Catalogue but there does not seem to be a lot of the notes posted on this site in that catalogue. I'm sure I have the most recent so is there a different catalogue available that can be purchased?
I've just started to collect Journey notes and am interested in getting a few but will have to start with the lower denominations at first. Any suggestions of what would be a good starting point.
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 05:15:47 pm »

Here is a link to a complete list of Journey replacement note ranges as of October 21, 2007.

http://www.davgro.com/images/cpmf/BoC_Journey_21Oct07.pdf

Many of the ranges were confirmed after the release of the 20th Edition 2008 Charlton catalogue and
should appear in the next edition in July 2008.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
abyss
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:40:48 am »

Thank you for the list.  Definitely more than what I expected. Just the listing of $5.00 notes will take me forever.  Is there a list of prices available for the different ranges? I have seen some of these notes on Ebay, as well as in previous forum posts, but being relatively new to this how can one know what something is worth that is not in the catalogue. I see some are in the catalogue, so do you just wait for the new one to come out or compare what they sell for on ebay? Are there any other resources available?
When I spoke to the salesclerk at Chapters she had no clue what I was talking about.
moneycow
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:44:35 am »

how can one know what something is worth that is not in the catalogue
That's an easy one.  It's worth what you or anyone else is will to pay for it.  Inserts have a number of variables driving "worth".  It requires some homework.  Arthur's list is about as current as you can get.  The discussions on this forum are invaluable.  But don't be naive in thinking you'll scoop up insert bargains on eBay.

When I spoke to the salesclerk at Chapters she had no clue what I was talking about
Get used to it.  Most bank tellers haven't an inkling...and there's a 1000 inklings in a clue.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:57 pm »

Even as this list of Confirmed Ranges represents the most current information, do keep in mind it is still a constant work in process. In time with more data, ranges may expand encompassing other ranges and on the other hand ranges may also contract rendering notes to ordinary face value status.
It would even be possible that revisions can occur a year after original publishing.

Dei Gratia

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
abyss
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:25:44 am »

other hand ranges may also contract rendering notes to ordinary face value status.
It would even be possible that revisions can occur a year after original publishing.

Is this a common occurence, even if they have been published in the catalogue?

I would like to thank some of the members who have sent me their price lists, but for the present time I will do as suggested, try to do my reasearch before making any major purchases.
Thank you
bwho9d
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 02:14:03 pm »

Yes. New ranges are found and old ranges are expanded constantly. Nowadays, we have no source for insert ranges other than searching bricks. There are ranges we don't even know about yet. Collectors account for a fraction of a per cent of bricks and it's nearly impossible to find ALL the ranges.

Insert prices change all the time and the best thing to do is to research the price with an updated source.
abyss
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:37:21 pm »

Nowadays, we have no source for insert ranges other than searching bricks.

So how does one get bricks? I read  a number of previous posts, but could someone give me a Readers Digest Condensed version if possible?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:39:53 pm »

So how does one get bricks?

I just sent you a pm.
FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:41:45 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 08:57:47 am »

That's an easy one.  It's worth what you or anyone else is will to pay for it.  Inserts have a number of variables driving "worth".  It requires some homework.  Arthur's list is about as current as you can get.  The discussions on this forum are invaluable.  But don't be naive in thinking you'll scoop up insert bargains on eBay.
Get used to it.  Most bank tellers haven't an inkling...and there's a 1000 inklings in a clue.

An AVO5305474 Sheet Replacement in Choice Unc just went for $2.25 plus $2.99 (total of $5.24)  Now no one can tell me that wasn't a BARGAIN 8)
FRIEDSQUID

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 02:31:43 pm »

An AVO5305474 Sheet Replacement in Choice Unc just went for $2.25 plus $2.99 (total of $5.24)  Now no one can tell me that wasn't a BARGAIN 8)
FRIEDSQUID

It is a bargain. The 2008 Charlton will likely list it $25 Unc. I noticed that too, the market is just flooded with AOV replacements, there are at least 360K out there and that is a good big chunk of the series too. Thus supply is the overwelming demand. This also says that the BAI's quality control has really slipped up lately.

PD

Thanks for the backup Squid. Fixed, I think. The way I 'm finding AOV replacements, I wouldn't put it past you. I'll let you know as soon as the range becomes 5.001M  ;)  By then you can bet Canadian Banknotes will be in the hunt for the BoC printing contract again.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 04:07:30 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 02:34:10 pm »

the market is just flooded with AOV replacements, there are at least 360K out thereand that is a good third of the series too

Correct me if I am wrong, but the series would have 10,000,000 notes not 1 million in which case 360K would be 1/3

So is there a chance that a regular AOV note will be worth more than the replacement notes if more are found. ???
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 02:45:54 pm by friedsquid »

Login with username, password and session length