Author
Topic: Notes < UNC suddenly becoming UNC or GEM  (Read 4327 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:24:22 am »

How does this phenomenon happen?

1973 $1 3358533 is an example.  Before it was less than UNC , but now it is suddenly GEM. And for sale at our fav site.

An odd ooccurace no?

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:01 am »

I have some notes like that too, i have for example an FDZ $10 that i am sure was a VF when i put it in the folder back in 2001, looking at it now 6 years later you would probably think its an AU. Must be the work of the plastic folders? But once you take it out, it quickly goes back to VF  :( So in reality a note can't go up grades. The plastic though will make the notes look better.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:57:24 am by JB-2007 »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 04:09:56 pm »

I have some notes like that too, i have for example an FDZ $10 that i am sure was a VF when i put it in the folder back in 2001, looking at it now 6 years later you would probably think its an AU. Must be the work of the plastic folders? But once you take it out, it quickly goes back to VF  :( So in reality a note can't go up grades. The plastic though will make the notes look better.

If you examine them carefully they will still be the original grade, whatever it was.

I just find it interesting how one person can sell a note as EF and then suddenly it is being sold as Choice UNC 63 by the next dealer.

Interesting-- I mean possibly dishonest

thunder-boy
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 07:14:53 pm »

How about we start all notes with UNC...lol
poor unc, good unc,fair unc etc.
LEARN TO GRADE QUICKLY OR YOU WILL HAVE A COLLECTION OF j-UNC.

Buy the best and sell the PRESSED!!
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:03:49 am »

Ever since Charlton put out there new book this year every one has uped there grade from UNC to CUNC or GUNC. Charlton just helped out most dealers and everyone who is trying to sell there notes on eBay, I`ve seen the same UNC notes jump up two grades as soon as the book came out.

Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:20:19 am »

Ever since Charlton put out there new book this year every one has upped there grade from UNC to CUNC or GUNC. Charlton just helped out most dealers and everyone who is trying to sell there notes on eBay, I`ve seen the same UNC notes jump up two grades as soon as the book came out.

I  don't think that is unreasonable to change the change the grade of an Unc note - within a certain respect of course. What I mean is that just by looking at my own collection most of my notes were 'Unc' since that was the highest grade in the old Charlton. With the new grading system there has been an increase three different Unc grades thus some notes stayed Unc while others were bumped up to Unc 63 and even Unc 65.

So as long as collectors and dealers are grading their notes appropriately I do not see much concern because with the old Charlton they had no option outside of Unc.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 07:08:04 pm »

So as long as collectors and dealers are grading their notes appropriately I do not see much concern because with the old Charlton they had no option outside of Unc.

This is the point though.

VF notes have also become AU.   Now we all know that that kind of stuff happens.   Just irks me.   Have an Iron, will travel (and make money).   Yuck.

bye!

Login with username, password and session length