Author
Topic: What the ????  (Read 7480 times)
Marc-Andre Roy
« on: January 01, 2008, 01:04:17 pm »

CanonScan Lide90, I cannot scan the new series of bank of canada money? I am trying to scan a 2007 $20 because I want to sell it but I get the same error message gaian and again!!! I hope that this is not a feature of the scan or I'll throw it out of the window!
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:11:36 pm »

This scanner has a built-in "defeat" to prevent the scanning of the latest issue of Canadian paper money.   Older scanners will work...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 01:17:10 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 01:15:38 pm »

Jesus!!!! I had to buy a new scan because the Lide30 I had was not compatible with Vista 64 bit, the Lide90 is the only one that works with 64 bit version of Windows.

No one told me this when I bought it, it was not written anywhere on the box or the manual or even on Canon's webiste!!! Are they all like that or what, I want a scanner that scans without asking question you know, that's terrible, I don't want to copy cash I only wants a scan!!!  :-X
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 01:18:18 pm »

I found this at a website:

"Currency has strict printing standards, is easily accessible, and highly reproducible. Alas, scanners and printers have also created a problem with amateur counterfeiters.  Canon, HP, Adobe are among others who have voluntarily embedded software to refuse to scan modern currency from various countries, but they do not readily publicize this restriction.

The currency detection system in the LiDE generates a TWAIN driver error rather than a message that states scanning of currency is prohibited. However, it will scan older currency and any other print material without issue.  Unfortunately, for us 'old dogs' of technology that reach for currency as a test subject, the TWAIN error drove to me troubleshoot drivers, hardware, and software to check for errors.  I later confirmed the currency detector with Canon.  It is not documented in [Canon's] website."

Anyone buying one of today's newer scanners will no doubt encounter this problem...

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »

I will call Canon this week about this for sure, you understand that when selling notes you want to see it now there is no way for me to scan this what a shame!
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 02:07:42 pm »

I just upgraded my old scanner to a Canon MP530 scanner/fax/copier, and I have no problems scanning what so ever with the software the scanner came with. I am also very happy with the quality of the scans.

If I try scanning with the same scanner using Picture It software, my scanner laser stayed on permanantly until I unplugged it from my computer and I was blind for over an hour. It also screwed up my drivers, which I had to uninstall and reinstall, and crashed my computer.

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
50monarch
  • Every note gets me one step closer to Cayman
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 03:00:02 pm »

I have a DELL 922 AIO and have no problems with scanning in the new style of banknotes (security strip).  Thought you may want to know that, just in case you decide to turf your printer.   ;D

Have you tried to put a sheet of white paper behind the banknote?  Maybe that will trick the scanner? 
Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 03:06:15 pm »

I have a DELL 922 AIO and have no problems with scanning in the new style of banknotes (security strip).  Thought you may want to know that, just in case you decide to turf your printer.   ;D

Have you tried to put a sheet of white paper behind the banknote?  Maybe that will trick the scanner? 

it does not help... :S
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 03:28:33 pm »

I still use my ancient but reliable EasyPhoto scanner that is hooked up to a Pentium II (upgraded from my older Pentium One computer) to do the majority of my scans with no real problems save for extraaaaaaa time needed to warm up the machine and actual scanning. My cheap Lexmark X2470 can't scan todays notes.

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
CMNWEALTH
  • One Chromosome between Insane and Genious !
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »

Similar Software glitch - I Have a Canon MP700 All in one - Some software works some doesn't - I would try and contact Canon here in North America and see what happens. If you get the right person on the other end you may have some luck before returning it.
Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 04:58:19 pm »

I bought it at a store where they accept return within 30 days, it's been more than I month already...
hanmer
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 12:14:42 am »

Why 64 bit O/S?

:)

Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 12:16:17 am »

Why 64 bit O/S?

No idea... It sounds better :D
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 12:19:13 am »

64-Bit OS is the way to go!  8)

32-Bit does not support 4GB of Ram. You will get 3GB MAX usually 2.5 for the average user.

So Boo to 32-Bit! (32-Bit is soooooo Yesterday!)  ;D

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 02:16:20 am »

64-Bit OS is the way to go!  8)

32-Bit does not support 4GB of Ram. You will get 3GB MAX usually 2.5 for the average user.

So Boo to 32-Bit! (32-Bit is soooooo Yesterday!)  ;D

I have an original Nintendo.  Where does that fit in? ;)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length