Author
Topic: eBay Seller with many names?  (Read 3013 times)
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« on: January 23, 2008, 12:00:00 am »

There is currently a ebayer selling notes under two different names. His auctions are listed all together in a group but they have used one identity for the first few names and then they have switched to another name and listed another few notes? What is the advantage of this? I don't think it is of any concern, but I was just inquiring on what the positive outcome would be. He buys with one account and resells with the other one. Fine and dandy but why would you use the very same layout and everything as your original and post it for sale with in 1 minute of the other one. Anyone looking through items one at a time is going to catch on in a flash. Maybe there is more to it that I'm not seeing? Please inform me of the advantages of this...

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:26:04 am »

Many sellers on eBay have one or more buying accounts and one or more selling accounts in order to make it less obvious how much of a mark-up they are putting on their merchandise. Some eBayers have upwards of six or seven distinct accounts! I frequently see items bought for, say, $400 marked up to $1500 and sometimes more. It's very difficult to hide anything on eBay, especially since buying and selling activities remain in the public domain for 30 days. For this reason, many eBay re-sellers will wait for more than 30 days before offering their eBay purchases for sale.

I know how you feel about these things but don't forget that exactly the same things are happening all the time at commercial shows (e.g., Torex or Nuphilex). In particular, some dealers will buy material from other dealers' display cases and then immediately put it their own display case for sale at higher prices. On the other hand, some dealers maintain a strict policy of holding material bought at one show until a subsequent show before offering it for sale. The latter approach is certainly more discreet and less likely to create an unpleasant incident!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:31:21 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length