Author
Topic: Who is the actual person that reports finalized insert ranges for the catalogue  (Read 6431 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

I was wondering if someone can tell me who makes the ultimate,  final decision as to what insert range(s) are published in the Charlton catalogue. I understand that there is a pricing panel as well, but is it that entire panel that determines the listed prices as well, or is it just a select few that are up to date on the market prices of these insert notes.
I was also wondering and please correct me if I am wrong, that if Gilles is the one who receives the reports of inserts as they come in,  what happens when he no longer decides (or is unable to) handle this duty.  Is there anyone else who is going to continue to keep this information up to date and available?
I sometimes wonder could this accurate and valuable recording of insert information just cease and leave everyone in the dark? Is there some type of plan already in place so that the flow of information continues?
Has anyone else been wondering about this? I am interested in any comments or opinions members may have regarding this subject.

FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:27:08 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member

I was wondering if someone can tell me who makes the ultimate,  final decision as to what insert range(s) are published in the Charlton catalogue. I understand that there is a pricing panel as well, but is it that entire panel that determines the listed prices as well, or is it just a select few that are up to date on the market prices of these insert notes.
I was also wondering and please correct me if I am wrong, that if Gilles is the one who receives the reports of inserts as they come in,  what happens when he no longer decides (or is unable to) handle this duty.  Is there anyone else who is going to continue to keep this information up to date and available?
I sometimes wonder could this accurate and valuable recording of insert information just cease and leave everyone in the dark? Is there some type of plan already in place so that the flow of information continues?
Has anyone else been wondering about this? I am interested in any comments or opinions members may have regarding this subject.

FRIEDSQUID

This issue was tossed around last year in summer.
There was no specific soultion, other than to keep an eye on things and make sure that the info was ending up at one source in the end (as far as I know).
There are a few people who are worthy "heirs" (I cannot think of another word).  Heir to the job of collaborating that is.

It would be tough and non-stop.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101

The official title should be the C.I.A.  The Chief Insert Annointer!!!

Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!

I have a question a little bit off topic, but still to do with inserts. 
And please forgive me if the answer is obvious.
Are insert ranges for all denominations found in the same way?  Meaning, are there actually people withdrawing $100,000 in 100s to verify inserts?
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector

Are insert ranges for all denominations found in the same way?  Meaning, are there actually people withdrawing $100,000 in 100s to verify inserts?

A great question, NN. I've often wondered about that myself. One would imagine that the accuracy of the insert ranges decreases as the denomination increases.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:42:32 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member

Yes.  They are found in the same way, through brick searching. What someone does with a brick of $5s, is also done by people with bricks of $50s and $100s.  Yes, the amount of bricks searched is obviously much smaller, which is why the replacements (inserts) are often less in population. Secondly, there are way less $100s and $50s in the money supply system anyway == therefore, less bricks.

Now the question is HOW. The operative word is ACCESS to the brick. Often (believe it or not)... it is not through a bank withdrawal. I will leave it at that.  (Not theft either lol)

But, yes. Virgin bricks are being searched, just with much less frequesncy.
For example, I am sitting on a couple of AHA insert $50s I found (and have been reported) from an AHH brick.  I got them long before the SNR designation came about, so I am not even sure. 
BUT, since the frequesncy is so low, I am still waiting for a confirmation. :-(

I won't have access to $50s in bricks for at least another 7 months.  Again,   :'(

loki

I do hope there is a gathering of insert ranges that can be catalogued and verified.  I know many collectors will not buy insert notes at all until the new catalogue comes out.  They find it absurd to put their trust in someone claiming to have picked inserts out as there is no way to verify the said note at the time.  You all know what we see on eBay! I think the difficulty in this "trust" will slow down insert collecting between catalogues.
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President

They are being verified all the time.

Rick
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

They are being verified all the time.

By Who?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member

By Who?

Person X y and z from all over the country send their info in-- it may get get collected by intermmediaries, like Gary F, of other senior members, but then everything ends up on Gilles' Table.

And GP knows the facts about notes. I taught him.  HAHA!!  Kidding.
No serisouly, GP as the "pope" of Replacements, determines the confirmed ranges, which are based on the physical evidence presented in the data which is reported to him.

Note:  Erroneous replacement claims can be disproven  by other true replacement claims, and general brick reporting.  We do rely in the integrity of our researchers to do an upright job.
As far as I know, there is not one brick researcher who takes one shred of their DUTIES lightly when it comes to this.   

(A tip of the hat to you brick searcher ladies (if any) and gentlmen for your standards).

Hope this helps, FS. :-)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 08:51:56 pm by Hudson A B »

Login with username, password and session length