Author
Topic: New to this AND here ;)  (Read 8288 times)
Dottir
« on: February 21, 2008, 05:11:16 pm »

Hello folks,

I'm brand new to this interest and know pretty much zip, so will
have a lot to learn, and see I'll learn a lot in here if I keep coming back for more :D I've been enjoying browing the posts and learning bits here and there as I go (so thank you all already!) It's all quite interesting to learn some of the history and about this whole area of collecting, but surviving on a pretty small disability income, I'm more likely to sell whatever I find :D

I've been browsing a lot of sites (even ebay to look whats in there!!!) the last couple of days and found this one, looked like a great community to join. I hope I'll be able to benefit someone in here somehow, too.

I do know enough now to know that I will check every silver dime that passes through my hands in search for a special 1969 dot one :D ... and what about paper money? I wonder what the most valuable ones are (and why) these days?

Very interesting to read that "errors" can be very valuable. I think NOW of badly printed fives and such that I've sometimes had and changed them immediately for a better shape one ... silly old girl :( LOL

I'll learn.

This stuff, I can tell, can get pretty addictive ... this whole collecting habit!

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:29 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  I am sure that you will find information in abundance here.
There are a lot of great members with a wealth of knowledge.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Dottir
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 05:44:41 pm »

Thanks Friedsquid. I really like communities like this that are filled with people with serious common interest and help each other with info and all. Great people and places.

I love the humor too!

Dottir
Dottir
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:51:52 pm »

By the way, I keep trying to find out what you folks mean by "brick" in ref to paper money. What's a brick?

Thanks!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 06:16:43 pm »

a brick is 1000 notes of any denomination.
in most cases a brick will contain 10 individual bundles of 100 notes per bundle
In some cases there are just 1000 notes wrapped in elastic bands or plastic bands.
so a brick of five dollar notes will have a face value of $5000.00
When you hear people talked about sealed bricks or virgin bricks it usually refers to a brick that has not been tampered with by anyone at the bank. 
Once a brick is opened you can not be assured what has happened to it. For example some of the notes may have been removed and replaced with others...
There are a lot of other senarios, but this is probably the basic concept
Hope this helps

FRIEDSQUID

harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:36:01 pm »

Welcome Dottir

With the amount of people in this forum the information is endless and every bit useful.

welcome

Harwil4u2 
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:32:55 am »

Welcome :)  there are many very knowledgeable people out here if you have any questions about anything all you have to do is ask!

Have a wonderful day!

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Dottir
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:32:11 am »

a brick is 1000 notes of any denomination.

There are a lot of other senarios, but this is probably the basic concept
Hope this helps

FRIEDSQUID

Excellent help and new and very interesting information for me. I thank you again!

I want a brick of, not ice-cream, but money, now :D
Dottir
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:35:34 am »

Welcome Dottir

With the amount of people in this forum the information is endless and every bit useful.

welcome

Harwil4u2 

Thanks for the welcome Harwil4u2. I'm totally enjoying the people/posts and the learning in here. I anticipate enjoying a lot more ...

Dottir
Dottir
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:37:21 am »

Welcome :)  there are many very knowledgeable people out here if you have any questions about anything all you have to do is ask!

Have a wonderful day!

And thanks a lot to you too Hudson A B, for the welcome. I will definately ask questions when I have any :) ... and you have a wonderful day too (the sun is shining beautifully here right now ... in SE BC!)

Dottir
gendis
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »

If your looking for the valuable 1969 Canadian dime - it's not a dot that makes it valuable but a larger date.  Keep a regular 1969 for reference.  This advice comes from a collector who looked for the "extra water line" on the wrong side the 1964 Canadian nickel for a minumum of 5 years. 

The notes you may want to look for are the relatively recent (at least by my standards) Thiessen-Crow $2 Bird  notes with an AUG, AUH or AUJ prefix.  More of these notes may still be out there and it's very exciting to turn over a note that has one of these prefixes to see the signatures. 
Dottir
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 08:37:59 pm »

Hey, thanks for your message Gendis.

So, a dot AND a large date then, is what to look for?

I'm wondering how many of those particular dimes were put
into circulation and how many "potentially" could still be floating
around ...

I'm also wondering if when you buy a roll of coins from a bank, if the roll just contains new coins, or would they be a mix of years. Just curious.

That's harsh about the wrong-side waterline and I'll bet you're wondering if you had one/some and didn't know it so spent it... ouch! Kinda how I feel about passing along perfect older 20's from the bank machines. Had one a month or so ago :( I wonder ............................ hmmmm

Thanks for the advice about the $2's! I'll watch for them.

Dottir.
gendis
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »

There is no dot.  Only a large date on the 1969 dime.
Dottir
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 10:31:57 pm »

There is no dot.  Only a large date on the 1969 dime.

Oh, and thanks. I won't be looking out for dot ones then ;)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 11:33:57 pm »

Hey, thanks for your message Gendis.

So, a dot AND a large date then, is what to look for?

I'm wondering how many of those particular dimes were put
into circulation and how many "potentially" could still be floating
around ...   

I'm also wondering if when you buy a roll of coins from a bank, if the roll just contains new coins, or would they be a mix of years. Just curious.

That's harsh about the wrong-side waterline and I'll bet you're wondering if you had one/some and didn't know it so spent it... ouch! Kinda how I feel about passing along perfect older 20's from the bank machines. Had one a month or so ago :( I wonder ............................ hmmmm

Thanks for the advice about the $2's! I'll watch for them.

Dottir.

HI there-- well, I would bet that the odds of finding one are about infinity (minus 1) chances   of not finding it, to one chance of finding it.

They have been searched for for YEARS and years  (I didn't find any either) - I think there is about 5 or 6 known?  I have seen one - twice - both times under glass. :-)  And NOT in my custody :-( 

Other notable dates that you might find in change still: 1991 quarter (I found 3 in change since 1991, and the 1973 large bust mule, also probably nil odds of finding in change.  I think there is a 2000 P dime that there are about 4 known too.  but who knows what might shoot out of a roll!!

Oh yes- you can, at RBC place an order, and even get 50 cent coins at times- brand new to boot.  You would have to take like a case-lot, and probably they would never want to see them again. :-)   Things might have changed since this was the case.

Most rolls are mixed, unless they are brand new - clear tight plastic, or those new fancy paper wrappers.

Enjoy your hunting!!!   A couple years ago in Saskatoon, I found a 1904 (First nations head penny, as well, a King Edward 1910 quarter, a 1942 Newfoundland penny, and 1933 and 1936 Canada penny, and a 1935 nickel.   All just in regular change and rolls...

This is after going through zillions of coins though.   Was it worth it?  monetarily , no, but thrill of the chase?  YESSSS!!

Enjoy your hunt!  (Banknotes become the same way!!)

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Dottir
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 03:23:59 am »

Thanks a lot for all of your very helpful suggestions Hudson A B!

I love the thrill of the chase too. If I had money to burn I would be out chasing down sorts of collectibles and having a gas, and probably profitting qiite a bit sometimes too, which is always a bonus and a hope. I happen to enjoy history (not in depth particular study though) and love to hear the stories behind things (including money now, and money is pretty important, history and now, as it rules us all, doesn't it?  :D )

By the way ... as an aside and about coins NOT paper money, again, does anyone know the origins and meaning of the expression "A dime short"? My impression is it means something similar to the espressions like "a beer short of a sixpack" :D

Oh, I jotted down the quarters years for future reference ;)

Thanks.

Dottir.
harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 09:52:45 am »

HI Dottir

From read your posts it sound like you need to pickup a couple of books to help you. The Charlton Standard Catalogues of Canadian Government Paper Money and Canadian Coins.

These catalogues will give you the best infomation in what to look for, and joining a coin club is a other way of learning more and meet other people with the same passion as you  have.

Harwil4u2
Dottir
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 11:40:52 am »

Thanks Harwil4u2.

I would like to have home copies of that soon, meanwhile I picked up an an old 2001 copy of Charlton Coin guide for a couple of bucks at a local used book store, thinking there would at least be some good info in there to have on hand, even though outdated. A bonus is that the local library is a 2 minute walk/hobble from me and I think they have the latest Charlton that you mentioned, strictly as reference so I can't bring it home with me to study. Eventually will pickup a copy of my own.

A coin club sounds like a great idea. I'll have to find out if they have anything like that in this town. Hmmmm ... now THERE is something to ask the librarian about today! ;) It would also be great to connect with people here with some common interests ... so again, a great idea.

Dottir.
Dottir
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

Just a little update here. I'm been busy looking at coins and paper money. Traded some of the rent dollars for some bills and rolls of coins (will deposit all back into the rent end of week, of course) $5's and $10's, a roll each of coins, pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, loonies, toonies ... nothin struck me with the bills as anything special (I checked the site and info I have so far about replacements etc and cross checked highs/lows, nada. I just have an APC 2006 $5 and an ALU 2004/2005 $20 in pretty amazing shape. They must have been tucked away mostly, especially the $20 by the years! Neither bill has a full crease/fold!!!)

I was delighted to find my first 1954 coin :D ... an AMERICAN NICKEL! :D also a few more American coins, the '54 nickel being the oldest and a 2007 new Liberty nickel. I got a 1990 Lincoln penny and poor Abe looks like he has an ugly melanoma at his hairline ... I think theres actually a bit of a lack of filling there and black muck is stuck and not coming off/out of it. The other pennies don't have dips there, they have a full rounded forehead.

Also got a variety of commemorative quarters ... including a September 2000 but I don't think it's a mule ... the 3 little people one side and the Queen with "25 CENTS" written beneath her on the obverse (front, right?) ... also got a 2006P colourized pink ribbon (cancer), and a few others ... a real mix in the the pennies, nickels, quarters rolls. Oh ... a couple of 1945/2005 V nickels and a veterans quarter that I love!!!;)

Now I have to find out about my coins :)

I feel I should be sticking to paper money talk in here and this thread is off topic of the forum ... or is it??? Advise please ;)

Thanks.

Dottir.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18:12 pm »

I feel I should be sticking to paper money talk in here and this thread is off topic of the forum ... or is it??? Advise please

Better stick to paper money.  There are some good coin forums out there 8)

Dottir
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 07:35:43 pm »

Thats what I thought ... my conscience was nagging me :D

Thank you!

Login with username, password and session length